• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

U-Haul!

Reaction score
Visit site
I told myself i was going write this along time ago since i had such a pain trying to research for this.

For those interested in shipping their motorcycle via U-haul.

It can be done!

And it can be done safely without damaging your bike and the truck.

This in no way requires modifying the U-haul in any way. All though im guessing if you asked uhaul they wouldnt like it very much. Just think of it as transporting a piano.

**Please use your best judgement! I am not liable for any damaged property. You are doing this at your own risk***

Materials: Ratcheting tie-downs,Pallets, scrap wood, Three 10 foot 2x4s (The cheap ones), lots of large screws, 4 eyebolts (i think i used 3/4in), the nuts and washers that go with them, and a table saw (if you have one)

Step 1- Find yourself some pallets 2 to be exact. Make sure they arent too rotted(one of mine was but it did not seem to matter), and are long enough combined to sit you nc comfortably on them. (I think about 9 feet)

Some businesses dont like to give away their pallets but many dont really care and throw them out by the dumpster, so go cruise around your local industrials, or ask around.

In a best case scenario you could try to find a mc dealership willing to let an old pallet go, because they have pallets specifically designed for shipping motorcycles I asked my local Harley dealership and they seemed offended that i even asked so i gave up that dream.

View attachment 8424

Step 2: Cut up the 2x4s to reinforce the pallets horizontally, and longer ones vertically.

I ran the 2x4s through the inside of the pallets, but i had to rip the 2x4s down a little to fit. Depending on the thickness of your pallets you may
be able to slide them through.

I chose the inside because that seemed to me like it would have the most structural support. The outside would probably work too it just might need more reinforcing.

2013-07-02 11.15.22.jpg

Step 3: Find where your bike is going to sit and reinforce underneath, and put something down it can roll on. Also see where you are going to put the wheel chalks but dont attatch them yet!
2013-07-02 11.28.35.jpg
Step 4: Drill holes in sides of pallet on 4 corners, and install eyebolts with washers and screws. (i did this with the bike on the pallet so i could see where the straps would need to attach.

2013-07-04 16.24.03.jpg
Step 5: Pallet should be complete and ready to bolt down your Nc. Roll her on to the pallet and bolt her down as a test run to make sure all is well.

2013-07-04 16.23.55.jpg2013-07-02 11.28.28.jpg

Step 6 : Line the pallet up in the very back of the uhaul and take your Nc straight up the ramp and onto the pallet all in 1 go. (I stupidly did steps 4-6 inside the truck which made it extremely difficult please dont make the same mistake as me!)

uhaul.jpg

Step 7: Get the bike situated and install wheel chalks and extra supports.

Step 8: Use other straps to attach bike and pallet to uhaul but be very selective where you put them because the wall mounts are very flimsy. (I also packed sturdy square objects like my tool box next to the pallet to keep it form slidding around.

Step 9: Finish packing up all your crap, grab a cold one, and relax!

2013-07-04 21.44.10.jpg

I transported my bike 800 miles like this and it only shifted within the first 20miles but once it settled it didnt move once. I hope this will get someone started or a be good brainstorming idea. Sorry for the lack of detail i am trying to do this from memory and i could not find all the pictures. Watch out for nails and leave the kickstand up!

Last edited:
Makes me feel like a red neck.. I just rode my bike up the ramp and packed stuff around it. That was probably 25 years ago though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I've done the same thing. The only thing I was really worried about was my fuel level. Made sure it was pretty low before loading her. Didn't want to take a chance it would get on my mattresses I stuffed on both sides of the bike.

That's a pretty good setup you got there. Could have shipped that back to Japan and I think it would have been Ok. ;)

Better safe than sorry!!!

Haha ya had it been my xr250 thats exactly what i would have done.

See thats funny because that was one of the few things I came up with in my research was to make sure the

tank is full for less fumes. I wanted it to be as lightweight as possible, so I just had about 1/2 of a tank and it never smelled like gas when i opened up the back at

stops. I dont think it would have mattered either way, but maybe on an older bike.

When my R1200C broke down in south KY several years ago, I rented a UHaul, rode it up the ramp and cinched it with only ratcheting straps. Cinched the forks just above the paralever and wrapped the straps around the rear tire, right and left. It never budged. Course, I was stranded and pissed off at the dealer that supposedly did the 3000 mile service before selling me the bike, so I had to make do.

We don't have many uhauls around here so i rented a Ryder truck which had o rings in the floor and had a side rail system with adjustable bars to lock against the back tire. I could have rolled the trailer and it would have stayed in place. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a note of caution on straps...

Several years ago while riding my VFR my Regulator Rectifier started going out. In case you've never experienced it, on analog gauges the needles will go crazy bouncing all over the place.

Anyway... at the time I had MRF roadside assistance, unfortunately they don't offer it anymore.. it was the best! Towing up to 100 miles no questions asked.

So the tow truck shows up, and he has a flat bed... He lowers the bed and we push the bike up on the truck and he begins to strap it down. He asks me to sit on the bike while he does this...

He gets the left side strapped down in the front and then the right. He tightens down the left side to the point the bike is leaning to the left (extremely tight)..... then goes to the right to tighten it down. He gets it tightened down to the point my front forks are bottomed out and the bike is even now... when all of the sudden.... yep, the strap breaks!

The bike JUMPS into the air HARD to the left... I am shot over the side, while holding on to the bars and trying to get my feet down to stop the bike from falling on it's side.....

Momentum is not my friend... and I soon realize not only am I not going to be able to get my feet down in a position that I can stop the bike from falling on it's side, but I am going to go off the side of the flatbed.

I did manage to get my right foot down (or maybe it was my left) enough to slow the drop of the bike a great deal before going off of the side of the truck nearly horizontally.

As I was going over the side I managed to push upwards with my left hand to get my head at a higher trajectory than the rest of my body and was able to get one of my feet down on the pavement enough to pivot the rest of my body to keep from face planting on the pavement. Instead I did a less than graceful fall onto my side.

The point here is that before you strap down your bike... take a really good look at those straps to be sure they aren't going to break!

Fortunately for me the only damage to my VFR was a broken left side mirror. I had managed to keep the bike from landing with very much force before doing my less than graceful dive off the side of the tow truck.

I don't recommend trying to save the bike in a situation like this..... for some reason I don't seem to be able to stop myself from sacrificing my body in the event my bike is in danger of hitting the ground. I've hurt myself twice before trying to keep myself between the bike and the ground. I'm getting older so one of these days it's gonna really catch up to me.

Just be sure to really check out those straps before you tie your baby down!

smileyhurt.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I just had to transport my bike across country from DC to Washington. I would have ridden it, but I had my son with me, so it would have been an uncomfortable week.

I actually found it cheaper to buy a 6x12 trailer and tow the bike and then sell the trailer when getting here than to rent a U-Haul. (About $1000 for the UHaul I'd need. With the buy and sell option, I lost $400 - well worth it).

Using a cheap chock and 4 tie down loops from Harbor Freight ($22 total), I strapped the bike in - not bottoming out the suspension. I put two straps on the handlebars and two on the rear grab rails.

3,000 miles through mountains and massive storms and the moto never once shifted.

The only near-catastrophe was when I backed the bike off the trailer. You really just need to roll backwards and let it keep rolling. Don't try to put your foot down and prop her upright halfway down.

Back