• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Unable to remove handlebar endweights

muffintop

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey inmates,
I have a 2013 NC700X. I intend to install Barkbusters handguards. I watched a video of the install as well. As per the install instructions, I am trying to get the handle bar endweight off. I was able to roll the grip/sleeve and see the clip. I am able to press the clip, that is barely visible. For the life of me, I cannot pull this out. Can this clip be squeezed from the end of the sleeve, or is there another point for the clip somewhere deep inside the sleeve? My mechanic squirmed at this job, and said it would cost me $90 in labor. Any tips, or pointers greatly appreciated.

I just found another video where he just destroys the clip. How To Remove Honda Bar Ends and Cores - YouTube
I am not removing the grip/sleeve completely. Is that needed?
-MuffinTop

Last edited:
I have done this a few times. I think the hardest thing is seeing the tabs that keep the clip in position. The clip has two tabs 180 degrees from each other about an inch in from the end of the bars. My suggestion is to start with the throttle side. When I do this I loosen the brake reservoir and the kill switch enough so I can move them free off their location pins. I can then loosen the throttle body to free up its location pin. Slide the throttle inwards and and you can see the tabs for the clip. Then it is just a matter of compressing the two tabs to rotate/slide it out.

For the clutch side the last time I did it I used the grip roll method. You have to roll the grip enough to expose both of the tab holes with enough clearance to put something in to compress tabs for rotation/slide the clip out. Would help if the grip is warmed as this will make it more flexible.

GgarryP has a nice picture of the two tabs on the clip. Hope this helps. Good luck :)

Thanks potter0o. I was able to get the clutch side off. Still trying to figure out the throttle side.
In other challenges, it looks like I was shipped a wrong part. I bought this from Twisted throttle, and it is supposed to be a bike specific part. Looks like I got the CB500x part. Bummer, I was hoping to ride with the hand guards during this holiday season.
part.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the wrong parts :(. For the throttle side you can remove the parts form the bars if you want. It will make more sense as you do it I think. If you want to fully remove the front brake lever assembly you can hang if from the bars with a bungee cord. Just make sure that the brake fluid reservoir is kept level so air doesn't get into the system. When you remove the kill switch it will expose the screws for the throttle body.

Hope that helps. You are half done the removal :)

I have a question as well...as i bought the barkbuster storm for myself for xmas...i couldnt get the internal weights out...i gave up...and installed with factory weights...i left them on...and bolted on the aluminum bars to factory weights..and lined it all up...it looks good...but has been too cold and rainy to get out on highway for a shake down run...i did go around block...no rubbing or binding...i know the weights are for vibration...will i be ok...or did i set myself up for catastrophic failure...

Thanks for any help

I have a question as well...as i bought the barkbuster storm for myself for xmas...i couldnt get the internal weights out...i gave up...and installed with factory weights...i left them on...and bolted on the aluminum bars to factory weights..and lined it all up...it looks good...but has been too cold and rainy to get out on highway for a shake down run...i did go around block...no rubbing or binding...i know the weights are for vibration...will i be ok...or did i set myself up for catastrophic failure...

Thanks for any help

I installed Cycle Gear handguards and left all the factory handlebar weights in place. It works great. I don't understand why people want to remove them, but I guess there's a reason.

I think some people are more sensitive to vibration. I take mine out in the Winter as I have the Blizzard hand guards to keep the wind off. In short I need to use the inside of the bars as a connection point to prevent the guards from rotating at highways speeds. I notice a mild increase in vibration but it is not significant maybe 10% more which I adapt to and forget about. Many people take out the weights so I think you can relax on the catastrophic failure concerns :) I think of my weights as more of a handle bar slider *cough* for when it falls over...

You can make a simple puller by using a length of all-thread 6 mm rod, a short section of PVC pipe, and a large washer and 6 mm nut.

One my NCs has aftermarket bars with no weights, that was installed by the previous owner. I'm currently thinking of how to install/reinstall bar end weights, since the bar vibration is bad and makes the bike feel like it's runs roughly, but I don't think it's actually running rough.

If I was installing new handguards, I'd be wanting to keep the weights in place, not take them off.

One my NCs has aftermarket bars with no weights, that was installed by the previous owner. I'm currently thinking of how to install/reinstall bar end weights, since the bar vibration is bad and makes the bike feel like it's runs roughly, but I don't think it's actually running rough.

When I put the weights in my aftermarket bars I just drilled the location holes for the clip in roughly the same position that was on the original.

[...Interesting. Can you describe how this tool would work? I cant picture it yet...]

Thread the all-thread rod into the semi-floating inner mount for the bar end weight. The section of PVC should be larger than the inner diameter of the handlebar and perhaps about 6" long. Put the large body washer and nut on the end of the all-thread rod and start to tighten the nut. Turning the nut down will gradually pull the inner mount out of the handlebar end. Once both clip ends are clear of the holes, it should come out easily.

You're making this too complicated. Drive it in 1/4", twist it a little, thread the screw back in, grip it with pliers, tap it out with a mallet. Read this for details:
Easy handlebar weight removal without removing hand grips

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Thanks so much. It was a easy install with this trick. It was a pleasant day to ride today, especially with the new handguards.
776e8e2f77d7c2a42861675d9cdd7df4.jpg

8da4b32a244a58d9774cde7f044a024b.jpg

Last edited:
Back