• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Unexpected: Rear wheel bearing comes out by hand

TOMA922

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey happy NC owners! My bike has over 70,000 kms now. Had no issues (of course) but this one is a bit baffling.

TLDR: Original (never replaced) and good working bearing can be taken out by hand - *puzzled reaction* - see video.

Short context:

- My bike is 10 years old, was NEVER pressure washed and riding in rain is not the norm.
- I had to replace the sprocket bearing and on the same occasion replaced ONLY the opposing wheel bearing (didn't had to but the mileage was high). I decided NOT replace the wheel bearing on the sprocket side because it was in perfect shape, protected by the sprocket and OEM (main reason, not cost);. Btw, this was 20,000 KMs ago and bearing is still perfectly fine. Will replace it soon as it served its purpose.
- The replaced wheel bearing FAILED about 400km from home, while returning from a 3000km trip (lucky - got home!); It lasted only ~20,000 KMs. Was not expecting this.
-- Failure of the bearing was not catastrophic; Random "ding"-ish sounds coming from rear wheel at first with no wheel play. Had no choice but to ride home slowly. After 400km of the slowest ride on highway the wheel did have some play in it. The failed bearing was intact but it did "catch" while rotated by hand aka had a "rough spot".

What you see in this video is the original bearing (from new) on the sprocket side. This bearing was never taken out/replaced (aka "hammered out") so we can exclude damage to the wheel because of this.

But it did sort of fell out while I was working on the wheel. *Puzzled*

Notice: there is a small amount of noise in this video (car passing by and bearing cling).

Tried other bearings and they also fit by hand so it's that side of the wheel that seems to be "loose". Other side of the wheel is fine.

Question is: Has anyone else encountered this kind of fit for a wheel bearing?

The fit concerns me since during use (heat) the wheel (alu.) expands faster than the steel bearing which can create play and therefore damage.

Thanks for your input! Ride safe.

Last edited:
Loctite sleeve retainer (green) might help...
Nonsense. With such a high lateral load on the wheel while riding, there is no glue on this earth that would firmly fix this type of bearing. Such an adhesive can only help to seal the bearing joint to some degree from external elements like very hard silicon particles from the road.
If it was possible to use glue, Honda would surely mention it in the Service Manual, as it does in many other cases.
I would install new bearings and inspect the tolerances as per the Service Manual.

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

One of mine does the same. Nothing to worry about as far as I'm concerned. They ain't going anywhere once the wheel is installed in the bike.

Back