• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Urgent question: Front wheel axle with a groove?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hi All

I have an urgent question about the front wheel axle installation.

After installing new tires (by a wheel shop), and coming home and a wash, I discovered a small groove on the right side (nearest to fork) as show.
This is about 3mm or 4mm "outside" the front-fork hole.

My question is: Is this groove supposed to be outside exposed like this, or it should be flush inside the fork?

By looking at both (outside facing) sides of the fork, the axle ends are flushed with the outside of the fork.

Please advise.
I think it is normal, but I need confirmation from you guys.
Please take a look at your Front Axle.
Thanks.
Joe
20140908_114133_zpshomijaxt.jpg

Mine is like that,but I also had new tires put on about 800 miles ago.I can't say if it came like that .I wondered myself once .

Mine is like that,but I also had new tires put on about 800 miles ago.I can't say if it came like that .I wondered myself once .

Thanks ziggie,
I once remembered my Honda Shadow also had a similar gap but saw that it was already like that.
But it was a secondhand bike, so I did not know if it was original.

Looks like this is the correct way the Front Axle is "designed".
I wonder what the gap is for?

Any engineers out here?

What you are looking at is the axle, which had a machined in step, pushed against the wheel spacers. If it wasn't like this a couple things couldn't happen:

1. You'd never get your wheel between the fork legs, there has to be a gap. And

2. The axle wouldn't be able to be tightened between the fork legs.

It's normal, and how it's supposed to be mounted and function.

Mike

What you are looking at is the axle, which had a machined in step, pushed against the wheel spacers. If it wasn't like this a couple things couldn't happen:

1. You'd never get your wheel between the fork legs, there has to be a gap. And

2. The axle wouldn't be able to be tightened between the fork legs.

It's normal, and how it's supposed to be mounted and function.

Mike

Hi Mike,
So the small 3mm sunken gap on the spacer gap (40-50mm) is a normal design?
Sunken gap means the strip which is smaller in diameter, nearer the fork hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your picture shows a properly assembled front axle.

Often, the designs with pinch bolts allows for variability in the position of the lower fork mount. The lower fork mount needs to be able to slide a little left or right on the axle or spacer. That way the fork legs can be made parallel before tightening the pinch bolt.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
So the small 3mm sunken gap on the spacer gap (40-50mm) is a normal design?
Sunken gap means the strip which is smaller in diameter, nearer the fork hole.

Yes. It's not a "sunken gap" as much as two metal items (the alxle and wheel spacer) meeting point and they both have a chamfered edge. I tried to post a pic of the front axle assembly from a parts fiche and can't, but if you click on the link below it might be more clear. Axle is part #3.

2013 Honda NC700X AC FRONT WHEEL | Pro Caliber

Mike

Beemerphile had a idea of putting a little grease in areas like this. Although the bearing are sealed, this would help keep some dirt off the bearing casings. Sounds like a good idea to me, being you grease the axel anyway.

Grease may get dirt stuck for longer? However, regular clean up and regressing may also be an overkill. I live to ride and so I will just ride it til it breaks (don't think that will happen with my slow riding anyway)!

Thanks!

Grease may get dirt stuck for longer? However, regular clean up and regressing may also be an overkill. I live to ride and so I will just ride it til it breaks (don't think that will happen with my slow riding anyway)!

Thanks!

Happy, you have my condolences for thinking so much like me.
Somehow I got to get over to Switzerland and go riding the Alps with you!

BTW why grease the axel? The wheel spins on the wheel bearings and not directly on the rod?

If you lived on the salt water Gulf Coast like I do, you would understand the reason for axel grease. Rust, Rust, and more Rust! A bear to knock out with the sledge hammer.

interesting, i freaked out about this too,
the right/brake disc side has NO gap, yet, the left/ Clutch side has the gap. I thought my front wheel might wobble and slip during a lean
i even tightened to 75ft/lb to see if i could tighten up that gap, i better back off to the spec 55ft lb now,

E4CD4DF1-FEE9-499C-A577-B73C965FF567_zpsq7qvzjlp.jpg
D64638CB-08EA-42F1-A27B-8FE9BD4590F6_zpsb3h98ake.jpg

Last edited:
interesting, i freaked out about this too,
the right/brake disc side has NO gap, yet, the left/ Clutch side has the gap. I thought my front wheel might wobble and slip during a lean
i even tightened to 75ft/lb to see if i could tighten up that gap, i better back off to the spec 55ft lb now,

75!?? that is the proper way to potentially damage it... anyhow just make sure you bound on the fork to alight them.

Back