• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Uses for Old Helmets

vodapas

Reaction score
Visit site
A coworker and I were just sitting around talking and I brought up how I was pulling out riding gear I plan to sell and how amazed I was at the amount of stuff I've accumulated over the years. He mentioned how many helmets he has (mind you he's a hipster who likes to buy "vintage" helmets). I agreed I have helmets sitting around I won't ride anymore because they are beyond the recommended safe life span. So, that led to a discussion about what you do with them since they are such a large investment for something you know is going to last you at best 7 years, but it feels like such a shame to throw away something so expensive.

So far, we have:

- Custom Lamp Shade
- Planter
- Bird House
- Use in Halloween Costumes
- Self-Defense Weapon of Last Resort
- Essential Head Wear Come the Zombie Apocalypse
- Coffee Table Conversation Piece Starter
- Protection at the Bar When Using Really Bad Pick-Up Lines
- Bronzing Them to Make Trophies

I'm sure we had a few others. So, let's hear some other good suggestions. Maybe some of them will actually be realistic. :cool:

Last edited:
After my accident several years ago, one of my friends confiscated the damaged helmet and christened it, "The Stupid Helmet." From then on, anytime anyone in our group says or does something dumb, he or she is forced to wear the stupid helmet. It's practically a house rule now.

Donate to them your local fire brigade/Dept or paramedics, they make use of them for training scenarios etc, well here in the UK they do.

Donate to them your local fire brigade/Dept or paramedics, they make use of them for training scenarios etc, well here in the UK they do.

Well, there's a good one. A lot of volunteer departments around here. I'll have to see if they have a use for them.

I have a black anthracite 1984 Simpson Model 30 (the original "Darth Vader" helmet) and a 1990 Shoei RF200 Jazz in fluorescent blue, both in better than mint condition- museum quality, really, and I could never in a million years part with them! :eek: :(

Would I still trust my life to wearing them? Ya probably, all the helmet expiry theorist naysayers not withstanding, but I retired them in pristine condition after many years of faithful service, and would despair if one of them came to harm now.
Usually I get a new helmet for every different type of biking and/or mood I'm in, so neither of them quite match up with present day requirements, thankfully, lol.

If I didn't live in a basement suite hovel unworthy of decoration, for sure I would want to have them mounted under glass with suitable spotlights focused, for simple visual pleasure and fond memories. :)

Has anyone ever tried lining the inside plastic shell with Plastidip to see if it deadens the sound any? I don't know that I would try that with my everyday helmet unless I knew it worked

Someone on the adv fourm cut a old helmet in half to show groups of riding students what protects your Mellon.they took the other half to hang on the wall with the cut side against the wall.

Has anyone ever tried lining the inside plastic shell with Plastidip to see if it deadens the sound any? I don't know that I would try that with my everyday helmet unless I knew it worked

My completely uninformed view is that since polystyrene is used *as* sound and temperature insulation when not being co-opted for impact absorbtion and noggin safety, I can't imagine a micro thin coating of plastidip really doing anything in that regard. I'm always willing to be shown the other side of an argument, but it would need to be pretty convincing. ;)

Also, I don't think the sound that would want to be mitigated comes through the helmet per se; so much as up from underneath it. If you wrap a big thick scarf around your jacket neck and seal up the helmet bottom, it's like a sound proof room in there, lol. For me, hideously claustrophobic unfortunately, but I know sealing that up works, if someone truly wants to quieten their helmet. (or just use good earplugs of course)

There have been various products on the market for years that attach to the bottom of the helmet to act as a sound deadener. Whether they are still made by anyone or not, I don't know.

Alas, the crappy pics just don't do justice, but a couple for reference, if nothing else, lol :eek:

Black Simpson.jpg

My red one shows a bit more detail

Red Simpson.jpg

Jazz

Shoei RF200 Jazz.jpg

My completely uninformed view is that since polystyrene is used *as* sound and temperature insulation when not being co-opted for impact absorbtion and noggin safety, I can't imagine a micro thin coating of plastidip really doing anything in that regard. I'm always willing to be shown the other side of an argument, but it would need to be pretty convincing. ;)

Also, I don't think the sound that would want to be mitigated comes through the helmet per se; so much as up from underneath it.

I can actually feel a lot of wind vibrating the top half of my helmet. Whether that effect is coming from air underneath my helmet or from rushing over the top of my giant windscreen, I don't know. (As a side note, I believe my windscreen (V-stream large touring) creates a lot of noise and some buffeting).

I read somewhere that plastidip can be used for other uses such as "insulating electrical connections and sound deadening." I put the two together and simply thought hey, maybe lining the inside plastic shell under the polystyrene with several layers of plastidip might reduce some of the vibration noises.

Are you on drugs? ;););)

Its been debated before, although the conclusion is always a "no" :)

Back