• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

VIN number difference between manual and DCT models?

monktues

Reaction score
Visit site
I've located a 2016 DCT model in New York but I want to confirm that it is the DCT model before I put down a deposit (and ultimately ship to CA).

The motorcycle is still in the crate in a warehouse, and the salesman is going to send me the VIN. Is there a way to tell which model it is from that?

Here's what I was able to figure out so far (digit position in parenthesis):
(1-3) JH2 - Honda
(4-8) RC635 - NC700X (is this different for DCT model?)
(9) ? - checksum
(10) C-H - year: 2012-2017 (G is 2016)
(11) ? - manufacturing plant (all K?)
(12-17) 6-digits - serial number

When I first asked for pictures of the motorcycle (including VIN plate and emissions sticker), he sent me pics of a 2015 CTX700D! We're not off to a good start...

I've located a 2016 DCT model in New York but I want to confirm that it is the DCT model before I put down a deposit (and ultimately ship to CA).

Why not just ask the dealer to confim it? Don't even bother with trying to decipher the VIN, just ask if there is clutch lever on it!

^^^^ would be more accurate than a random answer (or VIN) found on the interweb ;-) ^^^^^

Why not just ask the dealer to confirm it? Don't even bother with trying to decipher the VIN, just ask if there is clutch lever on it!

The salesman had already verbally confirmed that he had the bike on the floor. Then when I asked him to send me pictures of the bike (since I'm buying over the phone), he sent me pictures of not only the wrong year but the wrong model! (At least it was still a Honda.)

When I politely pointed this out, he texted that the bike is actually in a crate at a warehouse and he would send me the VIN. It sounds like he doesn't have access to the warehouse (I'll check in the morning). If their records are messed up and it's the wrong model/year/etc., I don't want to waste everyone's time by putting down a deposit and having them deliver it to the showroom only to find out it's not the right bike.

(Plus--real reason--I'm a geek and like deciphering things!)

I think the answer lies in the 8th character. All NC700Xs in the USA should start as JH2RC63. RC63 is the model number of the NC700X. I searched for 30 minutes or so and could not find a Honda site that defined that 8th character. Everything else in the VIN you provided appears for a 2016 NC700X.

FWIW my 2015 DCT reads JH2RC6346FK100xxx.

Last edited:
I think the answer lies in the 8th character. All NC700Xs in the USA should start as JH2RC63. RC63 is the model number of the NC700X. I searched for 30 minutes or so and could not find a Honda site that defined that 8th character. Everything else in the VIN you provided appears for a 2016 NC700X.

FWIW my 2015 DCT reads JH2RC6346FK100xxx.

Thanks, I think you're right about the 8th character. I found the picture below on another motorcycle forum that shows Honda at one time used the 8th character for the CA vs. 49-state model. But since yours is a 4 it probably includes more models now.

vin-example.jpg

I don't want to waste everyone's time by putting down a deposit and having them deliver it to the showroom only to find out it's not the right bike.

Totally understand....You should also check to make sure the motorcycle is Cali compliant. I know that New York state cars/trucks/ are, but not sure about motorcycles. The dealer can find that out by looking at the emissions sticker on the frame. It should say "US EPA and State of California Regulations Applicable" or similar.

Some states that require California CARB emissions for cars/trucks don't require them for motorcycles so make sure to check!

If not, you might be stuck with a "49-state" bike and unable to register it.

See this thread: Is the 2014 NC700 a 49 or 50 state emission bike?

EDIT: I think I broke the VIN code....see post #8

Last edited:
I think the answer lies in the 8th character.

Nice work! I think the 8th character also determines if the bike is 49-state or CARB certified:

For MY 2015

4 49-state DCT

1 CARB compliant DCT

5 CARB compliant manual

0 49-state manual

For MY 2016 they are all JH2RC87xxxxx and the 8th digit represents the same as those ^^^

My 2014 uses the same 8th digit numbering code.

Dave, I think someone owes us a beer ;-)

Last edited:
Nice work! I think the 8th character also determines if the bike is 49-state or CARB certified:

For MY 2015

4 49-state DCT

1 CARB compliant DCT

5 CARB compliant manual

0 49-state manual

For MY 2016 they are all JH2RC87xxxxx and the 8th digit represents the same as those ^^^

My 2014 uses the same 8th digit numbering code.

Dave, I think someone owes us a beer ;-)

How many NC700X's have you owned??? One of each type for the years 2014-2016??? Or are you a dealer?

THANKS! This is very useful. I'm trying to get the VIN number now of the one I found in New York before I put down a deposit.

My 2016 starts off with JH2RC8751GK
It's a 2016 DCT California model.

BTW I have a very low serial number, which leads me to wonder if that's good proof that my bike was used as a demo bike, per the dealer's story. I didn't notice the low number when I purchased my bike.

My 2016 starts off with JH2RC8751GK
It's a 2016 DCT California model.

BTW I have a very low serial number, which leads me to wonder if that's good proof that my bike was used as a demo bike, per the dealer's story. I didn't notice the low number when I purchased my bike.

That doesn't fit the pattern above. :-(

I wonder if the 8th digit translates to:
0 = manual, 49-state
1 = manual, California compliant
4 = DCT, 49-state
5 = DCT, California compliant

That system would be consistent with the '97 Nighthawk listing I found on another forum (only 0 and 1 codes).

Back