• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What are your cold weather riding necessities? Anti Fog that works for me.

It looks like spring/summer is yet to be enjoyed in Switzerland as well.

I do commute all the time unless snow and ice on the street, granted very short distances. What i found out works really good is pair of skiing gloves made with gore-tex with deep gauntlet cut. When going bit further (shopping, oh yes, remember, the Frunk) i throw first windbreaker gloves and then skiing ones.
I also use balaclava, though I noticed that if i hide my nose inside it, exhaled air goes around the face cut of balaclava, fogging the visor higher than when the nose is sticking out of it, which means normal air stream is having harder time de-fogging. I have a full face helmet, and cheap nose protector, velcro-d inside streamlines air and helps to have less fog. I also believe that stock windshield plays important role here, same as in case of raining. Remember on my old scooter with high windshield and all these tricks, i was still fogging and needed to ride with shield open a bit.

Apart this 5 cents, rest of the gear i do, is the same already mentioned by rest of you so no point repeating :)

Lots of good ideas here - my two-cents - I've found a decent down vest is a good versatile easy to pack layer for under the jacket.

Pinlock, Pinlock, Pinlock. I won't buy a helmet without the option ever again. It's that good.

Other cold weather preferences:
Tall windshield (not barndoor, but enough to keep the wind off my chest and put my helmet in clean wind.
Heated grips (Symtech heaters under Progrip 714 with a Warm & Safe dash mounted Heat-troller)
Hand guards
Winter Gauntlet style gloves made for heated grips: thin palms with insulated backs
Winter waterproof insulated jacket, pants (overpants) and boots
Balaclava
Good solid helmet with vents that open and close well (and, of course, Pinlock equipped)
I keep a Heated glove lead under the seat; for long cold rides, I'll switch to heated gloves

I'm more of a commuter than a weekend rider (actually, I rarely ride for "fun") so my requirements are quick gear up and gear down times. If it takes more than two minutes to gear up, I'd rather take my truck. That's why I like the heated grip setup vs heated gloves.

Question, Cagedoger: how do you find gloves that are designed for heated grips? The only MC gloves I can find that are well insulated are insulated on both sides...

First Gear has their TPG line that works well for this. I think there might be a few other brands that work as well (perhaps Held?). Even just a good thick leather glove will do wonders with well modulated heated grips and guards that keep the wind off.

Back