• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What are your top 3 reasons for buying / wanting to buy the NC700 X or S?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Let me share why I bought the NCX.

1. I badly wanted to have a BRAND NEW bike (after 7 years with the ACE Shadow 1100)
2. It needs to be reasonably priced (I was so surprised at the kit for 8kchf ) / USD$1 = 0.91 chf (swiss francs).
3. It looks great and handles great with high torque (exactly what I need)

So why did you buy or want to buy a NC700?
:D

1: Low rev, energy efficient environment friendly and modern construction engine.
2: Agile and easy to handle bike with good built-in storage capacity.
3: Low cost, to buy and to maintain. Low insurance fee and 12000 km service interval.

As extra bonus there are good looking design and the deal-breaker (to me) an 1200 USD added free choice of add-ons at no extra charge. These are for me heated grips, wind deflectors for legs and feet, central stand, large windscreen and rear luggage rack. This luggage rack was later returned as the construction demanded extra fasteners that was more expensive than the luggage rack itself, and that the plastics around the passenger seat has to be modified by cutting away large portions. I got a suggestion to look at a Givi solution for luggage rack instead.

Hi Christian, I am very surprised to read that you need to cut out something to install the luggage rack. From what I know, the original Honda rack just fits in, replacing the original grab-bars. I have ordered mine, with the top box but I have to wait, cos the top box is not here yet. I saw the Givi photos from the internet, and I must say the Honda rack looks way better. But they are also priced way higher. :p

Well, I got the suggestion for returning the luggage rack from the retailer who got complaints from an other NC700X customer who also ordered the rack. I saw the mounting instructions which in detail described the cut-out section of the plastics. There was also a cutting template included.

The plot thickens when we se the swedish Honda web-site where the luggage rack itself has disappeared from the list of add-on's to the bike. But, the top box now specifies that you have to order the luggage rack AND the "mounting assembly" in order to use the top box. This "mounting assembly" is newly added information to the webb. The price of the luggage rack itself was about €130. The mounting assembly is €150 to add to the rack.

I have not found any info about the Givi rack as their web site says "photo not available yet". But maybe you got a good working URL for this?

Having seen the mechanic do this job for around 90 minutes (it was also his first time), I would say it can be done at home if you are handy with your hands.

You do need to remove the 2 side cowlings on the rear end, but it is really easy.
The main seat also comes off.

The main thing is to mark out the stencil (provided in the rack packaging) and then cut out a 2X5cm long piece of plastic away. Then sand it down with sandpaper.

Reinstall and bolt down.
Link to my photos: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/209-original-honda-topbox-rack.html

I started this thread early on in April, when I just got the bike on 4.4.2012.

Now that the honeymoon period is kinda over, I have a think back.

What really FIRST attracted me to this bike is....(drum roll).....its very LOW price (8010chf) for the amount of standard KIT it included:

1. New bike design (new look) and looks like a GS-type of bike
2. ABS included
3. Linked brakes included
4. Choice of including DCT@ +1200chf (I am new to this tech)
5. Newness (2 yrs guarantee)

My final deal was the dealer gave me such a good deal on free accessories, that I cannot say no. And I got it in 2 days.

What is the FIRST thing which attracted you to research and what was the final deal which lead to you finally buying this bike?

I wanted a new bike to replace my buzzy (but otherwise great Kawi Versys.) Being a Honda was a +!
1) Sensible for single-up light touring (high gas mileage, luggage options, stability, low vibration at cruise speeds, upright seating position.)
2) Great Handling, fun to ride
(low COG, quick steering, decent rubber, good brakes)
3) Easy to buy and own (low base price, low maintenance costs, high build quality, reliability)

Last edited:
I needed a smaller bike at my age . My Venture weights 400 lbs more than the NCX. I also teach both BRC and ERC ( Motorcycle safety foundation) and it was getting real hard to do the ERC on my bike and I have dropped it several times lately. Better gas mileage, lighter weight better handling, lower center of gravity, what more can I say !!!

I had been watching for this bike to arrive here in the US since reading the European reviews last year. Then, I let research slide when I took an assignment in West Virginia and moved from Pennsylvania. When I was out shopping for a suitable machine for my S/O, I saw the NCX. Honestly, the first thing that came to my mind was "I wonder what the trade value of my Ducati is". Happily, the trade value was a little more than I would have taken :) So let me get to the reasons for choosing this bike.

Research! Everything I've read about the NCX, is exactly what I've looked for in a motorcycle. Fuel efficiency, low center of gravity that makes handling this bike a pleasure, fairly long service intervals (exactly what I liked about my BMW), Honda's reputation for quality, easy maintenance, (will be looking for the Helm's manual) fun to ride and the ergos are a perfect fit. A test ride was all I needed to make the right decision.

One of the negative reviews I've read, was that it was underpowered. Coming off the Multistrada, initially, made me think that reviewer was correct, however, I've adjusted from shifting at a higher rpm to a lower rpm and feel quite satisfied with it's performance.

blue-ridge-parkway.jpgblueridgeparkway07.jpg

I bought the 2012 NC700X for it's agility, storage, and fuel mileage to ride the mountain roads of Western NC. With the MSRP set at $6,999. I found no other reason not to buy it.

Last edited:
1. I got some $ for a change and want to upgrade from my Honda 250 Reflex scooter which I LOVE and ride almost everyday.

2. Upright seating position, green/eco friendly gas sipper, Honda reliability, mid-size engine, cool appearance

3. I'm obsessed!

Three reasons I chose the NCX.
1- Awesome fuel mileage
2- Low center of gravity
3- Honda Reliability
If this wouldn't have been made, I would have got a DL 650 VStrom.

My reasons for buying the X were that after 11 years of using deauvilles (2X 650 & 1 x 700)as my 2nd bike I really fancied a change. I considered the Transalp but the the NC came out. It's atractions were the obvious ones of fuel consumption & price

Reasons (in no particular order) for getting the Honda NC700? It was a really tough decision...

1- it was a Honda, with new-to-the-market engineering
1.5- the built-in storage compartment
2- its quite the fuel sipper
2.5- hot-looking bike!
3- handling and upright seating

First spotted it on the powersports website, then went looking at the dealer, discovered they didn't yet have it in stock (that was sometime in May). I left a deposit and waited. I have not been disappointed.

Last edited:
Well....I am a traveling teacher and need an economical way to get from school to school. So, MPG, storage, seat height, looks, and Honda build and reliability all contributed to my decision to purchase a NC700x. I am saving up and I almost have enough for the standard NCX. Should I save enough and wait to get the DCT?

Well....I am a traveling teacher and need an economical way to get from school to school. So, MPG, storage, seat height, looks, and Honda build and reliability all contributed to my decision to purchase a NC700x. I am saving up and I almost have enough for the standard NCX. Should I save enough and wait to get the DCT?

I have a friend that is a top mechanic for Honda in the state of Florida where I bought my NC700X. He told me to stay away from the DCT. It can and will downshift on you when you are in a tight and curved road. That might not be too good if there is gravel or the road is wet. You also loose a little hp and tq. It is not worth the extra money. IMO

Last edited:
Back