• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What does the manual say about engine break in period?

fouzilogic

Reaction score
Visit site
Its great this bike has such a loyal following. I read the entire thread on break in. Unless I missed it. Nobody stated what is in the honda manual on engine break in. Its been 23 yrs since my 83 Nighthawk 550. When I bought the bike 2 days ago the dealer just said to vary the rpm's for the first 1 k of miles. I've never owned a new vehicle in my life. I'm at work with the nc700x and have to drive home in 2 hrs. The manual is at home. Oh. I paid 5999 plus tt for 2012.

Its great this bike has such a loyal following. I read the entire thread on break in. Unless I missed it. Nobody stated what is in the honda manual on engine break in. Its been 23 yrs since my 83 Nighthawk 550. When I bought the bike 2 days ago the dealer just said to vary the rpm's for the first 1 k of miles. I've never owned a new vehicle in my life. I'm at work with the nc700x and have to drive home in 2 hrs. The manual is at home. Oh. I paid 5999 plus tt for 2012.

(Per the online version somebody posted on the forum -- but I couldn't find it so I copied this from the one on my desktop.)

Running-in Period

During the first 500 km (300 miles) of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your motorcycle’s future reliability and performance.

● Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
● Avoid hard braking and rapid down-shifts.
● Ride conservatively.

Last edited:
The manual p. 10:

During the first 300 miles of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your motorcycle's future reliability and performance.

• Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
  • Avoid hard braking and rapid downshifts.
  • Ride conservatively.

Disclaimer: this subject is highly controversial with many "experts" saying that repeated brisk acceleration is key. One pundit I found online said that the first 30 miles is the most important. Most seem to agree that modern engines have much better tolerances than in the past and break-in technique is not as important anymore. I tend to agree with the last statement. It is the easiest to not feel guilty about the way you are going to ride anyway!

Edit, oops beaten again by dog!

Last edited:
I'm not sure I get the rationale of the clip. Easy enough to take out, but a bit of fiddling is required to reinsert it. Why not just a simple push plug?

Page 71 in the owners manual that is trapped in the compartment.........LOL...................small tool (key) or thumb nail push the center of the clip down.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/1556-plastic-clip-removal.html

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...-document-storage-bin-under-main-storage.html

Sometimes Honda's logic escapes me. Putting the owner's manual inside a compartment with a fastener that some riders have never encountered before. Of course the manual will tell you how to access the compartment if only you could undo the fastener! Fortunately my salesman wanted to check something in the manual so I watched carefully how he opened the compartment. Otherwise, I would probably still be looking for the owner's manual!

The manual doesn't come inside that compartment, it must have been inserted there by someone at the dealership. It comes separate, to be handed to the customer at purchase.

The manual doesn't come inside that compartment, it must have been inserted there by someone at the dealership. It comes separate, to be handed to the customer at purchase.

Sorta.....^^^^^^^^^ NOT that it matters: HONDA Set up instructions say put the owners manual in the compartment in the frunk.

Last edited:
Sorta.....^^^^^^^^^ NOT that it matters: HONDA Set up instructions say put the owners manual in the compartment in the frunk.

So for people that don't pay $400 for setup, the manual will not be in the compartment. I guess that explains why mine wasn't there. ;)

Greg

Okay Honda.........

Really? What a stupid button clip to hold the compartment closed! Thanks to the posts explaining how to undo the clip, I went to the garage, got a small screw driver to depress the center and BINGO, the clip released! Much to my surprise, no manual! Then to make things even better, the clip was stuck in the release position.

FIX!

Velcro applied to the lid!

:eek:

Back