• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What maintenance, fixes and supplies do you need for small day trips away from home?

lue42

Reaction score
Visit site
My recent tire puncture repair has got me thinking that I may been to learn some basic maintenance skills and carry with me some different tools and supplies.

There has been discussion on what is needed for long distance touring. In your opinion what skills, knowledge and equipment/tools are needed on a 2-4 hour ride where you are not necessarily near populated areas? Day trips. I have side and top cases so I have lots of room but this is something that anyone should throw in a same bag an bungee to your rear seat.

This is what I carry in my bags all the time:

Equipment
  • The only tools I carry right now is the Honda toolkit that comes with the bike
  • Tire puncture repair kit - the kit, micro electric pump, pressure gauge and pliers
  • Earplugs
  • Disposable lens cleaning wipes (from dollar store) for cleaning visor
  • Collapsible silicone water bottle (I am getting a backpack hydration pack for the longer, hotter rides - I am 99% sure most of my riding fatigue issues are dehydration and I am bad for drinking enough water.)
  • Bungees - standard and a net
  • Removable Gel Seat pad
* Since I have the space, I should probably replace or add a couple of tools - what tools and sizes do you suggest?

Skills
  • How to use the puncture repair kit
  • I think I am generally useless if anything else breaks on the road

A cell phone and a credit card.
If you're especially paranoid bring along a litre (camping bottle) of gas, a quart of oil and a roll of duct tape (besides the tire repair kit you already have).

In a dozen years of riding I've needed the oil once (tip over), and I've given the gas to a stranded rider during a rally, other than that no needs.

Last edited:
Every weekend during spring/summer/fall I am 2-4 hours away from home riding (100-200 miles). I carry tools which I can loosen the rear tire and do chain adjustment if necessary, tire plug kit (plugs and small air compressor), tool to remove front shield if needed (never had to but just in case), rain gear, credit card and AMA card, cell phone and GPS unit. Anything other than loose chain or flat tire, I am not going to be able to repair or have the know-how to repair (credit card and AMA card to transport bike home or to dealer) on the side of the road or parking lot.

Tire repair kit and duct tape is all that I ever used. Used the duct tape three times, once when a baby deer ran into the side of a fellow riders bike a broke some plastic, once to temporarily repair a windshield when a rider ran off the road, flipped his gold wing and broke his windshield, and once to keep the face shield of a fellow rider on his helmet after it came loose.

Reading these posts has caused me to rethink what I carry. After 2 years on the NC700X I realize I have not touched probably 90% of what I carry. I think I'll be downsizing to a few basic tools (axle wrenches, screwdrivers), gorilla tape, a few
industrial zip ties, and the tire repair kit. I've been carrying way too much stuff and as posted earlier I'm not gonna do an engine rebuild on the side of the road - thats why I have roadside assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With regards to tire puncture kit, make sure it's T handle rather than screw driver type. Trust me on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry 14 and 17 wrenches for the mirrors, a screwdriver, a knife, ROK straps and twist ties.
I also have a tire puncture kit and a mini battery, but I do not always carry them.
Some strong tape sounds like a good idea.
I carry all that in a top box and leave the frunk for helmet and gloves.
If I want to look cool (not easy for a 61 year old) I ditch the top box.

Back