• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's your GPS choice?

Yes, exactly. When time is tight and you have a schedule to keep then sure..But, its nice to just go where the road takes you with no plan. I get my coffee machine ready the night before, I prepare my breakfast the night before, I am always thinking ahead, anticipating what will happen in work, anticipating bills coming in and when to move money about from one account to another, it is all planned exactly and it works, but its nice to do no planning and just go sometimes...that's one of the reasons I love bikes...
Oh so true. I have found some great places in Scotland due to having taken a wrong turn or having just seen a sign to somewhere that sounds interesting. Met some great people like that as well. To me riding in Scotland is second only to doing so in Ireland. OOPs sorry I will get my coat:)

Here is my ideal gps. A gps that uses google maps, has lane assist, can take a 8 gb memory card, waterproof and Bluetooth capability. Oh and cost $200 with lifetime map updates.
You said google maps? That means data plans and costs... A big no no for cross country travelers.
Have you seen the Galaxy S3?

My dealer told me mounting on left handlebar is best because it is not blocking the center console and allows easier reach using left hand (as you know right hand is always on throttle).

What are the mounting position choice for you guys?

left handlebar, center, right handlebar? or somewhere else?

and why????

I'm with you, Rocker66. I think half the fun of riding is getting lost. I always find interest things when I'm not looking for them!

My everday GPS is a Garmin Etrex Legend. It's small, waterproof and has a ridiculous battery life. While it is on the small side, it's also easy to use off the bike on occasions where using my phone's GPS is not possible.

DSC00354.jpg

I also have a larger Garmin Nuvi 550 on my Victory, also waterproof and essentially the same as their Zumo "motorcycle" GPS's at less than half the cost. The features it's missing compared to the Zumo are things that I don't utilize, so the extra cost is not worth it.

IMG_20120130_174628.jpg

Last edited:
I use a GPS app with my mobile phone -Garmin XT for off-road, Sygic for on-road. I have no mounting position preference, I just fit it where it fits better, it's at the left in my off-road bike, and at the right in my NC700X. Now, I always stop to manage the GPS, never do it while riding, it's very dangerous IMHO

HTH

My dealer told me mounting on left handlebar is best because it is not blocking the center console and allows easier reach using left hand (as you know right hand is always on throttle).

What are the mounting position choice for you guys?

left handlebar, center, right handlebar? or somewhere else?

and why????

I use a Garmin Zumo 550. Searching for items and browsing the map isn't as easy as it was on the one it replaced, a Garmin 276c but I like it and it works for me.

No other experience other than these two and a Nuvi 200.

I bought a Garmin zumo 660 to exchange my existing Tomtom Rider which cannot display the entire Europe at one time, only one out of 5 zones at any given time can be displayed. If you cross a zone you do need to have your computer with you to be able to upload a new zone to the Rider GPS. An a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y stupid Tomtom solution. :-(
Well, I thought that the Touratech new version 2 GPS holder for the 660 should be a good companion to my new GPS, but Touratech has locked out any possibilities for us Swedes to buy items in the Touratech German online store, and redirects all request to the Swedish shop where all prices are about 50-80% higher than the German ones. How nice isn't that!
It is actually cheaper to by a flight ticket to Hamburg, go to the shop and buy two GPS holders and then take the plane back home, than asking the Swedish shop to send the holders to me via the cheapest possible postage packet.

Fantastic!

Now we can enter our bets: How many weeks will the Swedish Touratech store stay on the market?
I would say 8 weeks top, then they are gone!

I bought a Garmin zumo 660 to exchange my existing Tomtom Rider which cannot display the entire Europe at one time, only one out of 5 zones at any given time can be displayed. If you cross a zone you do need to have your computer with you to be able to upload a new zone to the Rider GPS. An a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y stupid Tomtom solution. :-(
Well, I thought that the Touratech new version 2 GPS holder for the 660 should be a good companion to my new GPS, but Touratech has locked out any possibilities for us Swedes to buy items in the Touratech German online store, and redirects all request to the Swedish shop where all prices are about 50-80% higher than the German ones. How nice isn't that!
It is actually cheaper to by a flight ticket to Hamburg, go to the shop and buy two GPS holders and then take the plane back home, than asking the Swedish shop to send the holders to me via the cheapest possible postage packet.

Fantastic!

Now we can enter our bets: How many weeks will the Swedish Touratech store stay on the market?
I would say 8 weeks top, then they are gone!

Or get the $700 Zumo 350LM - comes with all the mounting kits and cradle base for charging. - Still save you some money

Or get the $700 Zumo 350LM - comes with all the mounting kits and cradle base for charging. - Still save you some money

Sorry, but I already bought the 660. It is included with a bike RAM steeering bar fastener and GPS holder, so no worries there. But I would like the Touratech holder that is a better more rugged product.

Back