• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Where do you like to keep your RPMS

When I am in a flow of traffic, I usually cruise beetween 2.5/3 K, low revs, in french whe say "un filet de gaz", it means a very small amout of throttle open at stabilized speed.

When the traffic is calm like today (no working day in Alsace/France today) I ride more funny, say 4.5/6.

A 60 milles ride of pleasure just before the rain !

B.R.

I usually shift between 2500-3000 RPM. The NC is not a dragster so I don't ride it as so. So that shift point is perfectly fine. Getting up to freeway speed, I would stay in 5th a little bit longer and get up to 50MPH before shifting into 6th. But if there is traffic and no real acceleration is needed, I would shift up to 6th at 3000 still.

if i'm just in town not doing much over 40mph so i'm in 4th maybe and then i short change to get there, but if i want hard acceleration short change from 1st to 2nd then then I don't change till 5000 rpm and i don't even notice the gear change then straight into 6th when i get to 65mph but you can sit at 50+ in 6th but you won't get good acceleration. i've also noticed around 4500 to 5000 RPM i don't need to bring the clutch all the way in, its so smooth.
As this is my first big boy bike, can i ask is this normal? is there a sweet spot to change gear without using the clutch?

Shift points I use on most bikes is what the bike cruises at 70 to 80 mph in high gear.

Shift points I use on most bikes is what the bike cruises at 70 to 80 mph in high gear.

That's an interesting idea. What is the NC700x's RPM at 70mph?

Page 35 of the owner's manual gives the following shifting chart:

speed shift to
-------- --------
12mph 2nd
19mph 3rd
25mph 4th
31mph 5th
37mph 6th

Does anyone do that? I find I'm past 12mph before I've finished letting the clutch out from 0!
To get anywhere near this "recommended" shifting chart, I find shifting at 3000 rpm works.

If it's above 3000, shift. If you're in 6th already, then you're having a fine day out!

Back