• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which motorcycle helmet is the best you have personally own and wear?

I have 4 helmets that serve various purposes (one for dirt, one with Goldwing intercom, one for winter, etc) but my favorite is an HJC (Hong Jin Crown) CL-16 Machine Hi-viz. Reasons: Snell approved and DOT certified, fits me very well, all day comfortable, unobstructed vision out the port, makes me visible to others, cost me $90 new. Only down side is it may be noisier than some, but I wear ear plugs anyway. I haven't tried a helmet that cost 5 to 6 times more, but I find it hard to imagine how they could improve on mine that much.

As was already said, having one that fits your head is the main thing.

Edit to add: After observing other riders from a cager's point of view, I decided that yellow, white, and Hi-viz (orange or yellow) were the colors that stood out well, so I limit my choices to those.

cl-16.jpg

Last edited:
I have 4 helmets that serve various purposes (one for dirt, one with Goldwing intercom, one for winter, etc) but my favorite is an HJC (Hong Jin Crown) CL-16 Machine Hi-viz. Reasons: Snell approved and DOT certified, fits me very well, all day comfortable, unobstructed vision out the port, makes me visible to others, cost me $90 new. Only down side is it may be noisier than some, but I wear ear plugs anyway. I haven't tried a helmet that cost 5 to 6 times more, but I find it hard to imagine how they could improve on mine that much.

As was already said, having one that fits your head is the main thing.

View attachment 21821

One of the nicest surprises I had in a long time, was my HJC CL-16 (just plain white though :eek:) Very comfy, fit and finish perfectly acceptable, and awesome fast and easy visor switch out! I got mine for about $90.00 dollars too, lol. Great value for the money! :D

One of the nicest surprises I had in a long time, was my HJC CL-16 (just plain white though :eek:) Very comfy, fit and finish perfectly acceptable, and awesome fast and easy visor switch out! I got mine for about $90.00 dollars too, lol. Great value for the money! :D

Yes, I have a white CL-16, too. The Hi-viz helmet clashes with the GL1800 Pearl Yellow. Can't have that! :cool:

This is really a silly question because helmets are like shoes - what is comfy for one person might be a torture machine for another. The only way to buy a helmet is to go to a shop and try on several different models/brands until you find one that fits well. Buying a helmet because of a recommendation from a stranger or a survey is asking for trouble.

what you say is true. everyone would have different comfort level. but this tread would still be useful. when buying a $300+ item the more opinions the better.

even if you try the helmet at the store, some members could be pointing out features that you might not have notice. also as some user are using helmet avail from european market that you would not have know was avail.

Just picked up the HJC IS-MAX BT Helmet and really like it. I had the HJC cl-16 for a few years and was happy with it and wanted to try a modular. It is a little nosier than the cl but I usually ride with ear plugs anyway, plus I get the flip face and built in sun glasses!

helmet.jpg

Currently I have 3 helmets on active duty, 1 in the reserves, 1 enjoying a well deserved retirement and 1 on the way. Like 670cc I tend to run a different helmet depending on which bike I'm riding with weather and if I will be riding both day and night contributing to the decision. As has been mentioned several times helmet fitment is different from person to person with manufacturer, model, head shape and individual preferences greatly contributing. Obviously there are a LOT of great helmet manufacturers out there. But, it is pretty well commonly accepted that Arai and Shoei are two of the top players. Based on my head shape I've always fallen into the Shoei camp. No doubt Arai makes some great helmets but with the exception of the XD-4 I have never found one that fits my head comfortably.

Active:

Shoei Qwest - Definitely my best current helmet. Shoei build quality, light, good ventilation, good looking (IMO), small profile, comfy fit with DOT/Snell certification. I tend to wear this when I ride my Ninja 300 as it works well for that seating position.

Icon Variant - My squid helmet. :rolleyes: Icon build quality (yes believe it or not their helmet quality is up their with the best), great ventilation, very good looking (IMO), huge field of view, sun shield does very well at speed. But, it's obviously heavier than a standard full face, noisy because of all the vents and open chin, looks aren't for everyone, sun shield is not removable and while it's DOT it of course would never pass Snell. I ride this pretty much only when I ride my DR-Z400SM which makes sense as that's the bike that brings out my inner squid. ;)

Scorpion EXO900 - My first modular helmet and a hell of a deal. I got it at a dealer who was cutting their contract with their current apparel provider and would not be able to sell Scorpion anymore so they were like 20% off and then I sweet talked the apparel manager into throwing the 10% military discount on top of it. Scorpion is really upping their game but from the fit and finish you can tell the EXO900 dates back in their lineup. However, for the price it is comfortable, pretty solid feeling, flows a decent amount of air, is pretty quiet for a budget modular, made me fall in love with the internal sun visor and the design was very innovative (actually one of the few helmets that met the definition of modular as the face could be removed to convert it to a 3/4 helmet a helmet like the Neotec should actually be called a flip-face not a modular). But, it's pretty heavy, the internal visor is WAY too light to really block the sun and lets too much light in from underneath. I wear this pretty much every time I ride my NC or if I am commuting on one of the other bikes as it makes interacting with the guards a LOT easier when you can flip up the chin-bar.

Retired/Honorably Discharged:

Shoei RF-1000 - So far still my favorite helmet I've owned. Maybe it's just rose colored memories but it just fit me like a glove. The fit and finish was, of course, excellent like all Shoei products. It was definitely the quietest helmet I've owned. Very light and I had full confidence it would protect me in a crash because of the feel and the fact is DOT/Snell 2005. The only flaws I can think of was it could get a little warm riding around the Gulf Cost in the Summer and the liner wasn't removable. Otherwise a phenomenal helmet and while I probably wouldn't ride it due to its age I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

I've got a Shoei Hornet DS on the way. I'll add my thoughts on it once I get a chance to ride it.

Last edited:
Any other vote for the Sheoi Neotec here. It's the best helmet that you I've ever owned, also the most expensive one too... :eek:

Attachments

• le-shoei-neotec-figure-parmi-le-haut-de-gamme-des-modulaires-archives-mr-66206-1-v4zoom.jpg
    le-shoei-neotec-figure-parmi-le-haut-de-gamme-des-modulaires-archives-mr-66206-1-v4zoom.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 115
I have this one: Bell Revolver EVO Hi-Vis Helmet - RevZilla

That is my second Bell Revolver and I can tell it has some improvements over 2010 model I had before. Really like the quality and fit. But for those on the market - IT WONT FIT the NC frunk unfortunately. I tried both XXL and XL so it usually sits on my handlebar because that joke called "helmet hook" under the back seat never worked with any helmet I've tried...

Just picked up the HJC IS-MAX BT Helmet and really like it. I had the HJC cl-16 for a few years and was happy with it and wanted to try a modular. It is a little nosier than the cl but I usually ride with ear plugs anyway, plus I get the flip face and built in sun glasses!
The wife and I picked up two of these when they were 30% off the other day and we like them.

Charles

Back