• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

I thought I remembered your name from the Bandit Forum. I traded in my 07 Bandit 3 years ago for a Yamaha FJR. I'm seriously looking at the NC, but the dealers in my area don't seem to get many onto their show room floors. I like the FJR, but 90% of my riding is a 40 mile round trip commute, with a few day rides and a couple of mountain trips a year. I'm not getting any younger, and the FJR isn't getting any lighter. Did you trade your Bandit for the NC or sell it? What are the pros and cons of your Honda?

Terry

You sound a lot like me... 90% of my riding is commuting to work on back roads. I get out a couple times a month at least for a good day ride, but only once or twice a year do I get to really get out on a multi-day trip. Also like you, the weight and overall sense of 'overkill' started to weigh on me with the Bandit. 100hp/550lb is a lot of bike for how I use it. Oddly... the NC doesn't weigh a whole heck of a lot less, but it's the location of the weight/low COG that makes it feel much lighter. Have you had a chance to throw a leg over an NC and at least toss it around beneath you?

I started playing around with dual sport bikes (TW200, DRZ400, and a WR250R) to have something lighter and less thirsty (MPG) for commuting and weekend fun but... I really don't have time for two bikes. I found myself feeling like I was neglecting the Bandit or vice-versa, so after 5 years and 60k miles.... I started getting that itch for something different....

Then, like magic the NC comes along. It's lighter, much better MPG, and ergonomically it's very similar. Plus, like the Bandit back in '07, you're getting a whole lot of bike for the $$. Wind protection is decent if not good, upright riding position (the NC is much more upright than the Bandit), and the clever storage is a nice touch.

I can't say I never miss the 90 lb-ft of torque from the Bandit, but really I rarely revved it past 5k anyway, so the NC's motor is actually kind of nice. It's not as butter smooth throughout the rev range as the Bandit, but it's close -- and it's just as smooth where it counts, at cruising speeds. I actually like the twin power pulses at idle and low revs, gives it a little character.

So, long story long, I sold the dual sport and traded the Bandit and got the NC. Now to get it all farkled up just right...

trey

You sound a lot like me... 90% of my riding is commuting to work on back roads. I get out a couple times a month at least for a good day ride, but only once or twice a year do I get to really get out on a multi-day trip. Also like you, the weight and overall sense of 'overkill' started to weigh on me with the Bandit. 100hp/550lb is a lot of bike for how I use it. Oddly... the NC doesn't weigh a whole heck of a lot less, but it's the location of the weight/low COG that makes it feel much lighter. Have you had a chance to throw a leg over an NC and at least toss it around beneath you?

I started playing around with dual sport bikes (TW200, DRZ400, and a WR250R) to have something lighter and less thirsty (MPG) for commuting and weekend fun but... I really don't have time for two bikes. I found myself feeling like I was neglecting the Bandit or vice-versa, so after 5 years and 60k miles.... I started getting that itch for something different....

Then, like magic the NC comes along. It's lighter, much better MPG, and ergonomically it's very similar. Plus, like the Bandit back in '07, you're getting a whole lot of bike for the $$. Wind protection is decent if not good, upright riding position (the NC is much more upright than the Bandit), and the clever storage is a nice touch.

I can't say I never miss the 90 lb-ft of torque from the Bandit, but really I rarely revved it past 5k anyway, so the NC's motor is actually kind of nice. It's not as butter smooth throughout the rev range as the Bandit, but it's close -- and it's just as smooth where it counts, at cruising speeds. I actually like the twin power pulses at idle and low revs, gives it a little character.

So, long story long, I sold the dual sport and traded the Bandit and got the NC. Now to get it all farkled up just right...

trey

Unfortunately I haven't seen an NC in person yet. I've read several tests and comparisons, and it sounds very interesting. I think I've narrowed it down between the NC and the Suzuki 650 V-Strom, although the price and gas mileage is better on the NC.
Good to know the motor is smooth at cruising speeds, the Bandit was very smooth, more so than the FJR. So, you feel the wind protection is good on the NC, do you have an aftermarket screen? The FJR has excellent protection, that's one of the reasons I traded the Bandit for it. I know most all bikes involve some compromises to a degree, so tradeoffs usually have to be made.
I appreciate all your feedback about the bike, it's very helpful. One more question, did the dealer you buy from let you test ride the bike prior to buying it?

Terry

TC, I have a home 15 miles south of Greensboro, I'll be leaving Az in 2 yrs, anyway I was there in aug and stopped in a Honda dealer on rt 40 just east of Greensboro, they had 2 NC's. It was the first time I saw an NC and had no idea that I would own one 2 months later, give them a call before you run out there, maybe they do a road test, I know it must be 100+ miles from you. I don't know there name but it will be easy to google being right on 40. I was looking for a strap on goggle for my summer helmet, I keep a BMW R1150R there.

I think I've narrowed it down between the NC and the Suzuki 650 V-Strom, although the price and gas mileage is better on the NC.

I looked at the Wee too, as I think a lot of people here did. The Wee gets good mileage, not as good as the NC, but nothing to sneeze at. What got me was weight. It didn't feel much, if any lighter than my Bandit. The NC feels much lighter than both, more like the CBR250 I sat on at the dealer.

So, you feel the wind protection is good on the NC, do you have an aftermarket screen? The FJR has excellent protection, that's one of the reasons I traded the Bandit for it.

I meant the NC was comparable to the Bandit on wind protection. Stock for stock, they're very similar -- wind hits me right at the shoulders, but it's nice, clean air. I replaced the screen on the Bandit and plan to do the same on the NC, just haven't done so yet. But, like the Bandit, you probably won't be able to achieve the full body protection of the FJR no matter what you do.

One more question, did the dealer you buy from let you test ride the bike prior to buying it?

Nope. There is a dealer in Houston that had a demo, but I had done enough research I felt comfortable to make the plunge without a test ride. I blindly bought the Bandit too, and that turned out to be a great decision, as has this one.

trey

I have the top case, and I agree it doen't look very "COOL" back there. It is very functional for me. Like you stated I love being able to get off the bike when I get to work and get my lunch out and throw my helmet and gloves in it. It holds my lunch and some extra layers needed for change in temps for the hours that I work. I like where it's positioned too, I don't put too much weight in it so not concered with stability or handling. Too me it's much better than having to split the load between two cases and having to reach down to get things out. The top case is very reachable and comes off easily enough if not needed, then there's just the flat rack.

Top case deffinately for the win in my opinion.

I carry a briefcase on my commute. I usually carry my iPad, Bose Sound-link Bluetooth Speaker and any files I need for school. The top box (GIVI Trekker 52L) was my first choice because I was used to having one when I owned a scooter (Used a GIVI 33L on Scooter). I LOVE IT!!! I will say this, I am in the market for the Givi Trekker 33 panniers for some trips this summer.

TC, I have a home 15 miles south of Greensboro, I'll be leaving Az in 2 yrs, anyway I was there in aug and stopped in a Honda dealer on rt 40 just east of Greensboro, they had 2 NC's. It was the first time I saw an NC and had no idea that I would own one 2 months later, give them a call before you run out there, maybe they do a road test, I know it must be 100+ miles from you. I don't know there name but it will be easy to google being right on 40. I was looking for a strap on goggle for my summer helmet, I keep a BMW R1150R there.

Soggy- Thanks for the info, Greensboro is actually around 200 mi. from me, but I will keep them in mind. One of the local dealers says he will have one the first week of the New Year, hopefully that is so..

Trey, good input, I really appreciate it. I'll keep that in mind regarding how heavy the Wee feels. Have you decided which aftermarket screen you would like for the NC?

My thought is you'd use the third party's top box mounting plate. I doubt the Honda's would work with anything other than Honda's top box.

The Honda top case pops off really fast, like a suitcase, with all your stuff in one box. I will get side cases when I can find a price I like. Most of the time I would have used a messenger bag, but now it'll be the frunk and rack with straps. I've traveled most often with a Venture double pack and hard side cases and yes the packs on the rear rack can be rear wheel top heavy. I would say with this bikes LCG it could afford some top heavy loading. I was reluctant to put a top case on, but the price I found was to good to pass up. The look is not bad and yes it's stand up convenience I like for digging for bits I've packed. I am absent minded and was always looking for things I packed by going through the left bag, right bag, tank bag, rucksack, and pockets.
One problem I have with cases of any sort, I would end up carrying extra items that should be left at home. But for now I would say one is better than two.
BigE

I equiped the bike with a complete set of Givi Trekker cases.

SCU_4832.jpg

The main decision was the fact that my wife felt insecure without a back rest like the sissy bar whe had on the Shadow. My (closed ?) helmet doesn't fit in the front trunk. So top case with a back rest. I added a support to carry a photographic tripod or other stuff.

Why the Trekker ? I think that a square shaped luggage can carry more things than a round shaped. I like the "adventure" look too. I bought the complete set to be comfortable in several days trips.

There is only one thing I deplore, you can only open half of the top of the side cases, not very practical with some cameras or photographic material.

B.R.

Last edited:
I went with the top box for a couple of reasons. 1) I had to choose for financial reasons 2) The top box doubles as a pillion backrest for my kids when they ride. 3) The top box is more efficient space than the side cases - I can put bigger things in the top box.

I think the best way to answer the OP's question is by first trying to determine what he'll be carrying. I think that would be the most influential factor. For me, I just started with the top box. I needed something to carry my gym bag. In the top trunk, I can fit the gym bag and my thermos. I take that, along with my backpack on and lunch box strapped to the passenger seat. It's been working great and I haven't noticed any effects on handling, but that's just my .02.

If you really have to choose, take the top box. It is way more manageable for looks and also for storage.

In the case of the Givi, at least, it is also more economical to add a top box first and then side cases later, if you can't afford to do it all at once (like me).

The reason is that if you do side cases first, you need some mounting adapters that take the place of the top box rails. Then later if you add a top box, you're stuck with some now useless adapters.

In the case of the Givi, at least, it is also more economical to add a top box first and then side cases later, if you can't afford to do it all at once (like me).

The reason is that if you do side cases first, you need some mounting adapters that take the place of the top box rails. Then later if you add a top box, you're stuck with some now useless adapters.

That is an excellent point... I knew there was some trick to doing the Givi cases/mounts that I couldn't quite remember. I bought the whole setup so I didn't have the issue, but when i was looking I was aware of it... I just forgot about it in time.

With the daily commute, I store just about everything in the top box (45l). So easy to throw in my bag and once I reach the garage I trade my helmet in its place. Saddlebags get most use for storing my riding pants and extra pair of shoes. Even though Honda's saddlebags open completely sideways after just a turn of a key, there is no comparison for the easy access into the top box. Haven't loaded it with anything more than couple bags of groceries, no issues with the weight.
And, I do like that it gives my son something to lean to when he goes for a quick ride with me.

Back