• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Who will build the first middle weight shaft drive adventure bike?

Gents, you are way way behind the times as far as Moto Guzzi are concerned, as they did a NTX750 in the 80's! I remember them well and almost purchased one..

d8zt.jpg

cwlb.jpg

Last edited:
The Guzzi NTX was never imported to the U.S., but the similar TT model was. This restored one was at the Moto Guzzi National Rally in 2011.
P7090355.jpg

I've heard that there were only 17 imported to the U.S. Harper's the K.C. Guzzi dealer has one, but it's a bit beat up & not for sale, I asked.

Searsboy,

I'm not sure if you are a troll or just have a poor grasp of English but here is a quick lesson:
(Source, Dictionary online)
First:
adverb
5.before all others or anything else in time, order, rank, etc.
6.before some other thing, event, etc.: If you're going, phone first.
7.for the first time: She first visited Atlanta in 1980.
8.in preference to something else; rather; sooner: I'd die first.
9.in the first place; firstly.

Modern:
adjective
1.of or pertaining to present and recent time; not ancient or remote: modern city life.
2.characteristic of present and recent time; contemporary; not antiquated or obsolete: modern viewpoints.
3.of or pertaining to the historical period following the Middle Ages: modern European history.
4.of, pertaining to, or characteristic of contemporary styles of art, literature, music, etc., that reject traditionally accepted or sanctioned forms and emphasize individual experimentation and sensibility.
5.( initial capital letter ) new ( def 12 ) .

First and Modern are not synonyms. First is an absolute statement, Kenny Roberts was the first American to win the 500CC GP world championship. This isn't altered by all the other Americans who have won the championship since or anything else; Kenny will always be the first. Modern is relative, it changes over time. It is also subject to opinion, in 1976 I thought my RD400 was the most modern bike in the world. Today it seems quaint, even to me.

Side note: The R80GS was not a modern motorcycle the day it was released. In a time when SOHC and DOHC was the norm it was a OHV engine, as 4 valve per cylinder was becoming common it had 2 valves per cylinder, when all modern bikes were four cylinder it was a twin. The engine family (R259 IIRC) was released 11 years earlier, the frame was also released in 1969, it was based on the Norton Featherbed designed in the early fifties.

Goose

hmmm...ok, but seeing as it's future tense how could it not be modern? :confused:

I think all of you are correct! With the 2 stroke being removed by government regulations, the 4 stroke had to evolve. With 4 stroke engine development and new weight saving products currently available, many companies are following BMW's successful lead with "adventure across the world bikes". Soon there will be a number of 650cc to 800cc adventure motorcycles weighing around 400 lbs., turning out 75 horses, getting 65 miles per gallon on regular gasoline, and with "very little up keep". So, goodbye chain! Could be something not even thought of yet! What the light weight, low maintenance device that drives the rear wheel will be, I do not know. Heck, it took almost ten years from the time the fellow who invented the mono shock to get any company to produce the first mono shock motorcycle. However, the future looks bright for the Modern low maintenance around the world adventure bike.4.jpg

SmileyCrossEyeToung.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone were to build one… I guess Yamaha would be the most likely. I love the idea of a light weight shaft drive.

I avoided chain drive street bikes for years, in favor of shaft drives. I prefer a belt drive over the chain drive any day. Light weight, clean, durable, with minimal adjustments required for the life of the belt. The last time I paid attention to belt drives, big inch Harley's were getting around 80K on a drive belt. A belt would not be my first choice for an off road / adventure bike.

Searsboy,

I'm not sure if you are a troll or just have a poor grasp of English but here is a quick lesson:
(Source, Dictionary online)
First:
adverb
5.before all others or anything else in time, order, rank, etc.
6.before some other thing, event, etc.: If you're going, phone first.
7.for the first time: She first visited Atlanta in 1980.
8.in preference to something else; rather; sooner: I'd die first.
9.in the first place; firstly.

Modern:
adjective
1.of or pertaining to present and recent time; not ancient or remote: modern city life.
2.characteristic of present and recent time; contemporary; not antiquated or obsolete: modern viewpoints.
3.of or pertaining to the historical period following the Middle Ages: modern European history.
4.of, pertaining to, or characteristic of contemporary styles of art, literature, music, etc., that reject traditionally accepted or sanctioned forms and emphasize individual experimentation and sensibility.
5.( initial capital letter ) new ( def 12 ) .

First and Modern are not synonyms. First is an absolute statement, Kenny Roberts was the first American to win the 500CC GP world championship. This isn't altered by all the other Americans who have won the championship since or anything else; Kenny will always be the first. Modern is relative, it changes over time. It is also subject to opinion, in 1976 I thought my RD400 was the most modern bike in the world. Today it seems quaint, even to me.

Side note: The R80GS was not a modern motorcycle the day it was released. In a time when SOHC and DOHC was the norm it was a OHV engine, as 4 valve per cylinder was becoming common it had 2 valves per cylinder, when all modern bikes were four cylinder it was a twin. The engine family (R259 IIRC) was released 11 years earlier, the frame was also released in 1969, it was based on the Norton Featherbed designed in the early fifties.

Goose

Thanks for the lesson proffessor...now go unbunch your panties and take a chill pill!

Like you I have also driven belt drive motorcycles, they were Yamaha's. I agree with you that a belt is not the way to go for a off road adventure bike. Right now all I see is shaft, but maybe there is something else I do not know about.7.jpg

SmileyBigEyeOh.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Shaft drive is probably never going to happen for off road or adventure. Over on the adventure forums, the consensus is they do not want shaft drives on their off road or adventure bikes; but then, adventure is a relative term. Adventure for some would be single track, in the middle of nowhere and a hundred miles to the nearest gas station, while some of us, adventure riding is just getting on the bike and riding hundreds of miles on back road asphalt roads (I ride my nc700 on gravel but I absolutely hate gravel).

If you ever get a chance read "100 Years of Harley-Davidson" by Willie G. Davidson.
This is a very good book. Willie is straight forward and a real joy to read. Harley has a number of first; but, what really surprised me was how many, and what they were.5.jpg

SmileyEyeBrows.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Shaft drive is probably never going to happen for off road or adventure.
I seem to remember seeing a lot of BMW GS bikes competing in the Paris-Dakar races over the years. Even winning some years.
And how about those two English/Scottish guys who did those movies, Long Way 'Round? They were riding shafties.
I think shaft drive offers many benefits over chain or belt.
Just my opinion.

Umm, stopped by a Harley dealership lately to look at the new bikes? Still clinging to early 1900's technology! ;)

Harald, they started electronic fuel injection a few years ago they get some credit for that. :)

Gigs

I'd give the EPA credit for the Harleys having fuel injection, not Harley. It was probably the only way they would pass the emissions regulations.

HD is very shrewd, giving their customers exactly what they want. There is quite a lot of technology carefully hidden in what they do. They are capable of competing with any motorcycle manufacturer in the world. But why would they? Everyone else is trying emulate HD with select products. It's their market and everyone else is scrambling for a little piece of it.

I seem to remember seeing a lot of BMW GS bikes competing in the Paris-Dakar races over the years. Even winning some years.
And how about those two English/Scottish guys who did those movies, Long Way 'Round? They were riding shafties.
I think shaft drive offers many benefits over chain or belt.
Just my opinion.
yea, and those long way round guys had a hell of a time with 600lb bikes off-road. Even though BMW advertises their 1200gs/adventure as adventure and off-road capable-not being off road guys want to take almost 600 lb bikes off road.

Back