• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why are motorcycle pants so uncomfortable??

TonySilver

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody!

Here is my dilemma, or maybe I just need to learn more about proper pants fitment. I usually commute on the freeway and traffic is moving fast most of the time and well I try to go with the flow, therefore I opted to buy and wear motorcycle pants.

Here is my problem so far, they are very uncomfortable around the crotch area. If I seat on the bike with them on I cannot comfortably touch the ground. I often have to tiptoe and shift from one leg to the other. Also when I throw my leg over the bike I must use plenty of effort and be careful to be able to make it over the bike (something that does not happen without them).

I believe I am using the right size. I am a 30/30 on regular pants and according to most charts I am a SMALL. I also have a full suit. It is a HD suit, got it use for a good price, it is also SMALL and I also have the same problem.

Should I buy MEDIUM for my gear? Also with the full suit. I have issues with the material not giving me enough room to move around the seat.

Here are the links to two items I am referring to, I do not want to go and get any other lower limps protection until I figure this out.

Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0

The HD SUIT I cannot find an image online, its the FXRG SERIES FX007 SUIT

Thank you all for your anticipated help.

TOny

When you buy motorcycle clothing you should always get a size or two larger than your street cloths. When you put your arms up to the handle bars you stretch out to reach the bar grips. So, if not longer the sleeves are above your wrist. Same holds true with motorcycle pants. When you put you feet on the pegs, up come the pants above the ankles. When you set on the seat up comes the pants at the crouch. Motoport does a better job than I can in explaining how to fit motorcycle clothing.

Pants: Sizing Guide For Mens Pants

Jacket: Sizing Guide For Mens Jackets

Custom Kevlar Racing Gloves: Sizing Guide For Gloves

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the fast response!! that is very helpful information. I did follow the chart the Joe Rocket catalog website had, for the over the regular clothing gear. But, and there is always a but, it is always better to check with different guides and sources.

Thanks OCR!!

Tony

If you are talking about 30/30 in slacks or loose fitting jeans then your measurement is probably too short in the inseam. The crotch on those types of pants are lower therefore the inseam is shorter. As an example I wear a 32/33 inseam in slacks and 34/35 in regular fit jeans. Revzilla.com has instruction on how to measure your true inseam.

Some of the stuff is like buying shoes - different brands are just shaped differently - if European: narrower, if US sizing: shorter wider - but even that is inconsistent - you need to find the ones that are shaped the way you are - not an easy task. To be honest, I tried a few different brands / models I got used off of Ebay. Ended up the Icon Arc pants work best for me - though not waterproof, I've ridden in the rain with them a number of times and just wear them all the time. Good luck with it, I know what you're going through.

Last edited:
When you buy motorcycle clothing you should always get a size or two larger than your street cloths.
Amen to that.

Recently bought a jacket and pants based on very positive reviews (pointers to those reviews posted by Admin of this forum, TYVM - search Sliders All Season 2 if you're interested). I used the web site sizing chart along with what I could glean from the reviews. Ordered the pants first and when I put them on, felt like the Michelin Man. Could barely even get them on and when I did, could hardly move, never mind swinging a leg over the bike. They were size L, regular length which should have been spot on. Sent them back and ordered XL, tall. They seem to fit very nicely although if I had my druthers, I still might go a little longer in the length. When I reordered the pants also ordered a jacket. Would have ordered a L based on a number of jackets hanging in my closet (including a leather motorcycle jacket which fits like a glove) and the web site sizing chart. Based on the pants experience, however, ordered an XL which also fits nicely. I will note the jacket has a number of adjustments to "take it in" at strategic locations and the pants have elastic panels running the length of each leg, both of which help the fit.

OCR's link starts with very good advice:
For correct pant sizing you need to provide the following measurements:

***ALWAYS SIT ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE***
This is hard to do buying on line.

Best approach is to use brick and mortar store where you can try on the gear. Just don't be a jerk that uses them for the service then buy online to save a couple bucks.

I never buy bike gear on line.
the size's these days are all over the place.
recently I bought 3 pairs of foot wear in two different sizes! 2 in size 12 and 1 in size 11.
size 11 is my size and has been for the last 40 years or so. same goes for clothing I normally wear size xxl but nowits a mixture of both xxl and xxxl.
some bike gear aren't made by the same brand ,usually contracted to some far east countries for cheapness but still charge you a bl**dy fortune.
same goes for tools to ..most made in China for a British company and no doubt it'll be the same else where.

Best approach is to use brick and mortar store where you can try on the gear. Just don't be a jerk that uses them for the service then buy online to save a couple bucks.

I was actually quite surprised when I went to my local brick and mortar shop to find that the jacket got was $10 cheaper than online (with free shipping).
Same held true when I went to get the pants.

Between that, their awesome service, and the fact that one of their employees (maybe the owner?) also rides an NC (decked out with all the accessories they have that fit on it of course, and parked in their building during the winter as a demo bike)

But definitely try it on in real life before buying... ask if you can go sit on your bike with the stuff on, barring that if they are a dealer find a bike with a similar posture in the store and ask if you can sit on that one with the gear on.

I believe local brick and mortar shop almost always match the online price, your just got to ask! For curtain products because of manufacture contracts (can only sell retail at a certain price), the brick and mortar negotiated price will always be better than the online price even after taxes.
But first and foremost, you just have to ask!

Every brand and model are cut slightly different. Some brand would have a more "European" cut (slim/fitted) while others would have a more "American" cut (roomy with broader shoulder/hip). Some are designed for a sporty posture and some more for more touring. You really need to put them on and sit on the bike that you intend to ride to see how they fit you.

My suggestion is to go to MC shops near you and try on different brands and sizes to find the one that fit you. If you are unable to find the exact one that you want, at the very least, try on the BRAND that you want to see what size of that brand fit you the best. Based on that, you can order online. NEVER order based on user review along.

For me, I've tried on enough brands to know that Alphinestars and Rev'it in Small fit me like a glove but Cortech in Small is still too broad around the shoulder and XS is too tight around the chest.

My only problem with brick and motar shops is limited selection due to huge costs of inventory and space to put it. I try to buy from them whenever I can so they will be there in the future. Most will order something for you if they don't stock it but make sure what the agreement is if it doesn't fit. Just bought a RPHA MAX helmet from Tellico Plains Motorcycle Outfitters, one of the best brick and motar shops anywhere. He didn't have my color in stock and I live 200 miles away. I verified fit of another color and he had one drop shipped to me within a week. Mike is the best.

That said one good online source is MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More! They have good descriptions on how a specific item fits and if you call and talk with them they also give good advice on phone. They do not charge for restock but you will have to pay return shipping if something doesn't fit.

I agree Fuzzy. Brick and motar shops may not have the best selection. I suggest to at least try on the BRAND to see how that brand fit you. If that brand and the style of clothes fit you, then you could safely assume that the other model within the brand and style would fit you. i.e. Rev'it Sand Jacket in Small fits me, then I can order the Rev'it Horizon in Small online with fairly high level of confidence that it would also fit me.

If you are unable to find the exact one that you want, at the very least, try on the BRAND that you want to see what size of that brand fit you the best. Based on that, you can order online. NEVER order based on user review along.

Motorcyclegear.com is good. I also frequent Motorcycle-Superstore.com and Revzilla.com. Revzilla has great exchange program and most of their products have detailed video review, which is very helpful in understanding the difference in comparison multiple products.

The folks at Aerostich make some pretty good gear. They put function before fashion. Available in more sizes than standard production off-the-rack apparel manufacturers. They can modify your jacket/pant/suit in a dozen different ways to make it "just right."

Cost is higher up front, but it's the sort of purchase that will pay for itself in the long run, especially in the event of an accident.

Thank you all for the very useful comments.

So after reading and playing around in garage, I discovered that if I take the inner water proof liner OUT and wear only sport tights with no jeans or pants under the pants, they actually fit very comfortably.

Only downside to that is that you must change once you get to your destination. I will definitely keep on looking for the brand that fits me best according to my built.

PS> thanks for the good websites recommendations, it always helpful to know many sources to shop from. Finally, I agree with the comments some of you made about the local retail stores. most often they do not stock large quantities of gear.

Tony

Back