• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why is my dash panel melting?

Really, so car manufacturers make sure their windshields stop UV rays just because they want the added expense-they really care about our health and don't want us to get sunburns while driving around-nothing to do with protecting the car dashes-car plastics inside the cars huh, really, hmm; if cars did not have UV protection in the windshields, there would be damage to the dashes and plastics. UV rays cause damage anytime during the day; either cloudy or sunny, and not just to our skin.

Anybody out their with transition lens in their glasses. I don't have transitions anymore. If any one does please do the following test. Go out into the sun, place your glasses under an OEM windscreen, do they turn to sunglasses-if not, the screens have UV protection, now take the glasses and put them under an after market screen-preferably the one getting the most complaints in this forum, do the lens get darker, if the lenses turn, no UV protection in the plastic....

I really hoped that someone else would continue this strange discussion (moderator? maybe... Hello Canada!).

What UV exposure got to do with topic of this tread: "Why is MZ5 dash panel melting?"
- "Nothing"

Has UV any damaging effect on plastic cover of dash panel? (Acrylic or polycarbonate with UV protection)
- Absolutely YES.
Nothing can escape UV radiation on the surface of this planet.

To what extend? That's a topic for another tread.

You wrote two obvious paragraphs which nobody tried to deny.

But, again, to do damage (melt) like shown on first picture it has to be infrared radiation (heat):
- from sun focused by windshield or
- cigarette burn by stupid joker or
- hot Arizona girl sitting to long on dash panel

I was highly skeptical of the windscreen melting the dash, too. Still am skeptical, but I'm not going to take the dash apart to look for wiring at this point. I don't use that windscreen anyway, except during the very coldest part of the year; it blocks too much of the airflow, yet actually increases noise and buffeting for me. Most folks like it, I think, but it doesn't suit me at all.

Back