• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wires disconnected below the front brake fluid reservoir

Lux

Reaction score
Visit site
I just purchased my 2015 NC700XD last week (red), and everything was going fine and on my way out today I noticed two loose wires laying on top of the 'throttle cable'?. I started looking around to where they might go to and I discovered a little black box directly below the front brake fluid reservoir box. It has two little male metal tabs sticking out where these two wires would obviously seem to connect. They are not color coded and so I'm not sure which one goes on which tab and if it matters. Maybe they came loose when I was driving it home from the dealership on the interstate with some heavy rain and wind-gusts from 18-wheelers (an experience I will soon not forget ;-)

What does this black box do? On the bottom it has black raised letters (small) that say "ALPS"
I made it ok to my destination without them connected. Is this some sensor?

Any help will be appreciated, and I searched the forum and couldn't find and answer.
Thanx

Thanx Heavy-H, front brake light switch it was. A quick disconnect and test confirmed. The protective sheaths are very long and it could have been half-hazardly installed at the dealership. I had to pull the connectors out to expose them to connect them to the tab and then wriggled the sheath back over them. The dealership told me to call them if I had any questions....I did and that was 6 1/2 hours ago and they said they would get back with me.....they're closed now. Typical "lip service" :-(

I think I'll stick with this helpful forum instead. Thanx!

Should be the front brake light switch...............

This. ;)

Put them both back on their tabs, and check to see if your brake light comes on, and goes off, when you pull and then release the front brake lever. If not, swap them side to side.

If you have any dielectric grease or white lithium grease, a tiny dab on each spade terminal before connecting is a good idea.

When reconnecting them, make sure you actually engage each terminal into it's receptor, and not accidently slide the spade inbetween the terminal and the rubber boot, missing the terminal. I suspect that's what caused them to fall out in the first place, not being properly inserted. Ordinarily they are a pretty tight fit.

That is interesting since when I first got my bike I had a similar experience. Plugged them back in and checked bike all seemed fine but I tend to check the connectors on the top now regularly and do not rest my helmet up front when gearing up as I had thought maybe I had knocked it loose with the helmet.

Back