• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wiring up fuse box

Neostorm

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to install a fuse box and in my research I read that it's best to connect it to the sub harness. My question is this sub harness has a 7.5 amp fuse while the fuse box can handle up to 30 A. Won't that 7.5 amp limit the capabilities of the fuse box? Also, is it safe to just add a 30 amp fuse to the self harm us? Or should I just wire the fuse box up to the battery directly? Thank you for your help. Electricity is not my strong suit.

If you need more than 7.5 amps, then wire your fuse box to the battery with its own fuse, and if you want it switched with the key, then add a relay that's controlled by a key switched 12 volt source.

The wires in the Honda accessory harness are too small to handle a 30 amp load. The purpose of the 7.5 amp fuse it to protect the wiring harness from overheating, so simply substituting a larger fuse defeats that purpose.

If you need more than 7.5 amps, then wire your fuse box to the battery with its own fuse, and if you want it switched with the key, then add a relay that's controlled by a key switched 12 volt source.

The wires in the Honda accessory harness are too small to handle a 30 amp load. The purpose of the 7.5 amp fuse it to protect the wiring harness from overheating, so simply substituting a larger fuse defeats that purpose.

That was my assumption. I will wire up to the battery and the tail light as my switched source. Thank you

+1.
Also I don't think the NC has 30 amps of extra power. Which means if you tried to use that much you would drain the battery and not be able to start the bike. You probably only have about 100 watts (8 to 10 amps(?) to safely play with.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/1742-extra-power.html

Thank you for the link to that other thread. I don't think I've seen that when yet. The LED lights that I got for the bike draw about 6.8 A alone and thought it would be a good idea to have The extra fuse box for simplicity of wiring in the future. I am planning on putting in the 36 size earthx battery to be able to help supply power and still be able to start the bike.

It's not so much battery size as how much current the engine generates. Think of filling a bucket with a hole in it. The battery is your bucket, the current generated is the filling, and the current used is size of the hole. If your drain hole is bigger than the fill pipe, your bucket will empty, no matter how big the bucket.

+1.
Also I don't think the NC has 30 amps of extra power. Which means if you tried to use that much you would drain the battery and not be able to start the bike. You probably only have about 100 watts (8 to 10 amps(?) to safely play with.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/1742-extra-power.html

Having a fuse panel with 30 amperes of capacity does not imply there would be a constant 30 amp load. For example, with the 30 amp fuse box, you could run a 12 amp air compressor or sound a 10 amp horn when you want to, neither of which could be safely run off the Honda accessory harness.

My house has a 200 amp power distribution panel but no way am I using 200 amps all the time.

I am planning on putting in the 36 size earthx battery to be able to help supply power and still be able to start the bike.

A larger battery will give you a short term increase in load capacity, but in the end, your limitation is in the generating capacity of the alternator. If your electrical load exceeds the generation of power, the larger battery will take a little longer to go dead than a smaller one, but it will go dead just the same.

The way the OP phrased the original question implied (to me) that he thought having a 30 amp fuse box would let him run a 30 amp draw.

Thank you for the link to that other thread. I don't think I've seen that when yet. The LED lights that I got for the bike draw about 6.8 A alone and thought it would be a good idea to have The extra fuse box for simplicity of wiring in the future. I am planning on putting in the 36 size earthx battery to be able to help supply power and still be able to start the bike.

Those are awfully powerful LED's. 41Watts ? Each?

Having a fuse panel with 30 amperes of capacity does not imply there would be a constant 30 amp load. For example, with the 30 amp fuse box, you could run a 12 amp air compressor or sound a 10 amp horn when you want to, neither of which could be safely run off the Honda accessory harness.

My house has a 200 amp power distribution panel but no way am I using 200 amps all the time.

I know I wouldn't have a constant 30 amp load. Part of wanting the extra fuse box is to beable to add a bigger horn which is used maybe once every couple of weeks.

A larger battery will give you a short term increase in load capacity, but in the end, your limitation is in the generating capacity of the alternator. If your electrical load exceeds the generation of power, the larger battery will take a little longer to go dead than a smaller one, but it will go dead just the same.

I will try to add up all the draws on the system to make sure that I'm under the capabilities of the bike

It's not so much battery size as how much current the engine generates. Think of filling a bucket with a hole in it. The battery is your bucket, the current generated is the filling, and the current used is size of the hole. If your drain hole is bigger than the fill pipe, your bucket will empty, no matter how big the bucket.

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense

Those are awfully powerful LED's. 41Watts ? Each?

They are:) they are 4 leds in each pod and each led is 10 watts. Some might ask why so much? In short... why not? In all honesty, I currently have the Denali d2 lights and personally I find they are lacking in performance. I have Clearwater lights on another bike and would have loved another set. Ultimately I chose the black oak light pods because they were the best performance for the best price that I have found.

Sorry for the confusion. I have never been the greatest in writing.

Not a problem, I'd prefer over explain than leave someone stranded on the side of the road due to a misunderstanding.
One simple addition you could make is adding a voltmeter. They can be as simple as a multi coloured LED. If your voltage drops below 13.2 volts you're drawing too much power.

Adding 80 watts of extra lighting, then add heated grips or a vest.........your likey maxed out even with consistent high rpm operation. A battery charging monitoring system would be a good investment.

Not a problem, I'd prefer over explain than leave someone stranded on the side of the road due to a misunderstanding.
One simple addition you could make is adding a voltmeter. They can be as simple as a multi coloured LED. If your voltage drops below 13.2 volts you're drawing too much power.

I was think that I would do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back