• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yes, Virginia, the 700 can have a sidecar !

Other makes and models

Other makes and models, in the 6 - 8K value, might have quick release attachments. But, again, they do not match the 700 in appearance. And, more importantly, they weigh too much for the 700 to task.

Last edited:
So how easy/hard is it to pull the side car off?

I definitely think it'd be awesome to have the wife or dog hanging out in there on longer trips, but I don't think I'd want to keep it that way most of the time.

I met a guy with a BMW side car rig. He told me that taking the side car off would necessitate a tire change because the wear pattern would not allow riding as satisfactorily as a two wheeler.

If I ever thought about a side car, I would probably just go buy a Ural. Some guys on the adv forum have the Urals and take them everywhere-off road, gravel roads, creeks, etc... The Urals have less horsepower than the NC700x though, (41Hp at the crank) and the total dry weight package is 730 lbs (the Ural Patrol).

Nice job you did on your NC700 side car. Looks good.

Thanks, again, for your summary comment !

With its 250 pound weight, the Ural sidecar weighs a lot more than my custom. I have already commented on trying to match the 700 look, while minimizing load. Personnally, I do not like the look of the Ural. Then there are all those web entries about experience with the Ural:
"In the 100's of posts that will follow this, no one will ever claim that any other brand is less reliable than Ural."

But that does include their cycle. I do feel a lot more mechanically assured by a Honda, and have tried to adapt to using the star of this forum - the NC700...

I will continue to focus on any combos/modifications involving the Honda 700 series.

I met a guy with a BMW side car rig. He told me that taking the side car off would necessitate a tire change because the wear pattern would not allow riding as satisfactorily as a two wheeler.

I've read that people switch out the rear tire for a car tire when they put a sidecar on... which makes sense if you lose the ability to lean, might as well get a tire that is built to last longer and not lean.

I've read that people switch out the rear tire for a car tire when they put a sidecar on... which makes sense if you lose the ability to lean, might as well get a tire that is built to last longer and not lean.

I've rode with a ADVrider member this spring, a guy from Michigan state and he had a car tire on his Suzuki Burgman...weird...but he had the feeling of riding a sidecar...lot of conter steering effect...lol

Fuzzy, not all the Urals have 2 wheel drive, only one of their models have 2 wheel drive, per their website. The 2 Ural ADV riders here in Indiana who I know, they don't have 2 wheel drive. To keep on track, I really do like the OP's side car, it is very cool looking and he did a great job with it.

I have had in mind to put a side car to the NC since before I even bought it, last December.
I used to run a R1200GSA with a CSM-1A (Claudes Stanley). Loved it... but decided to go more lightweight.
Is the suspension managing to cope with the extra weight? How heavy is the sidecar? Is the unit lifting easily without a passenger?
As for demounting... I used to have all the fittings marked so that they would go back exactly when removed. I even ran the rear wheel conversion without the sidecar! it felt 95% the same as riding the regular rear wheel ;)
007 - Copy (2).jpg

I could see myself tooling around in this if I ever got tired of two wheels:

sidecar-M.jpg

Update: before blizzard season in this El Nino upside down weather year, I put about a thousand miles on this 700/sidecar team. No problems so far. lots of outside fun for my partner. Averaging around 50 mpg...
Must mention, if you have not thought of it, that the sidecar is great to take shopping. You can put about as much in there as could go in a regular car trunk. With El Nino blizzards here in NM, the unit is safely in the garage till weather goes back to normal ??? Happy New Year & hope all of you who got what used to be our good weather are making the most of it !

Sweet! Beautiful aesthetics. All it needs is a leading link fork...

Leading Link Forks
The link you provided here seems to be a dead end - it says the page was last updated in 2000. I was hoping to see some pictures and a reason why a leading link fork is a good thing with a sidecar. Instead, it did not sell the leading link part at all, rather their reason for a new fork was to reduce trail.

While I have no interest in sidecars, leading link forks are another matter as I have built a couple of prototypes for bicycles. The major reason for interest is anti-dive. BMW Telelever forks are an interesting application of leading link suspension with frame mounted shocks. My own is very similar to the linked picture. I was interested in seeing more photos to see if the shock was single sided or mirrored on the left leg. Perhaps you have seen some in person?

I suspect the reason why anti dive forks are a good match for sidecar applications is either preventing racing sidecar frames from hitting pavement, or scaring the passenger with every brake application.

Edit: OK, I am missing something. A bit of time on the net showed that leading links are indeed very popular for sidecars. Improved handling dynamics was mentioned several times without the why being answered. It must be more than just a simple trail adjustment. Perhaps keeping wheelbase constant is important for sidecars?

Last edited:
The link you provided here seems to be a dead end - it says the page was last updated in 2000. I was hoping to see some pictures and a reason why a leading link fork is a good thing with a sidecar. Instead, it did not sell the leading link part at all, rather their reason for a new fork was to reduce trail.

While I have no interest in sidecars, leading link forks are another matter as I have built a couple of prototypes for bicycles. The major reason for interest is anti-dive. BMW Telelever forks are an interesting application of leading link suspension with frame mounted shocks. My own is very similar to the linked picture. I was interested in seeing more photos to see if the shock was single sided or mirrored on the left leg. Perhaps you have seen some in person?

I suspect the reason why anti dive forks are a good match for sidecar applications is either preventing racing sidecar frames from hitting pavement, or scaring the passenger with every brake application.

Edit: OK, I am missing something. A bit of time on the net showed that leading links are indeed very popular for sidecars. Improved handling dynamics was mentioned several times without the why being answered. It must be more than just a simple trail adjustment. Perhaps keeping wheelbase constant is important for sidecars?
A sidecar rig with standard motorcycle forks and average trail is a beast to steer. The loads on the driver's arms are very high due to having to turn the forks like a tricycle to steer and in response the self-centering forces from trail resist any movement from straight ahead. Leading link forks reduce or remove trail and the self centering forces that trail creates.

That cannot be the entire answer. You can set the offset with standard telescoping forks wherever you wish.

A sidecar rig with standard motorcycle forks and average trail is a beast to steer. The loads on the driver's arms are very high due to having to turn the forks like a tricycle to steer and in response the self-centering forces from trail resist any movement from straight ahead. Leading link forks reduce or remove trail and the self centering forces that trail creates.

As the owner of the original 700/sidecar in this post, I would say that the above would make a world of difference for me, and make it all that much easier. Unfortunately, I have still found no provider of leading link forks for the 700... But my arms and shoulders are getting VERY strong :)

I wrote a post here once but it got eaten by the forum and may still awaiting clearance.

No fun in writing it all again, but if sidecar then Schwenker

Looking at the pictures, it may be something someone with a garage, powertools and a lot of time could do by himself.

Super cool, how about an update? How is it holding up, about how many miles do you have on the kit now, and is your 50+mpg still holding up? You mentioned that your wife really likes riding with you and using the sidecar. May i ask, how tall your wife is and what is her inseam? You mentioned that she fits/rides in it pretty comfortably, does she still..

Thanks again! :{)

Back