• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise

A couple cheap mirror extenders eliminated 80% of my buffeting. The rest was solved by cutting ~1.5 inches off of the stock screen.

Where did you find your molded ear plugs? I went to a Hearing Center recently to see about getting molded ones and was told they would cost $100 per ear. I lost interest fast. You can buy a lot of foam ones for that kind of money.

I tried molded too. the first place I went took a mold [really painful experience] and sent it off and it got lost. got my $80 back. The 2nd time [a Sams Club] cost $120 and they stuck out so far they fell out when I put my helmet on. took them back. I have narrow ear canal and have a hard time with the foam ones staying in. I am now using Macks, a blob of soft putty you mash in. they are working ok.

I should say there are cheaper on ebay but you never know what you're going to get.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I tried molded too. the first place I went took a mold [really painful experience] and sent it off and it got lost. got my $80 back. The 2nd time [a Sams Club] cost $120 and they stuck out so far they fell out when I put my helmet on. took them back. I have narrow ear canal and have a hard time with the foam ones staying in. I am now using Macks, a blob of soft putty you mash in. they are working ok.
I got custom ear plugs made at a trap shooting comp and a bike shop I frequent had the same people go to a event they had. I lost the first pair after 7 or 8 months, the clear coat had starring coming off after 2 or 3 months of almost daily use. After spending $70 on the custom pair not being completely satisfied anyway I bought a pair of these
Radians Custom Molded Earplugs (Red) Amazon.com: Radians Custom Molded Earplugs (Red): Sports & Outdoors
Other then the clear coat that I didn't like the cheap ones are the same quality, I've used them almost a year and they are the same as the day I got them. Now I'm using my Bluetooth with foam tips so I can listen to music

Last edited:
A couple cheap mirror extenders eliminated 80% of my buffeting. The rest was solved by cutting ~1.5 inches off of the stock screen.

Can you show pictures of your cut windshield, I was thinking of creating a temporary shorty shield out of cardboard to test it... I wonder if that would work ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you show pictures of your cut windshield, I was thinking of creating a temporary shorty shield out of cardboard to test it... I wonder if that would work ?

I don't have picture posting abilities right now, but the the process is very easy. I watched a few youtube videos to learn it. The shield looks stock but shorter. If you're combating buffeting, the biggest bit of advise I can give is to try the mirror extenders first. They had the biggest effect. You may find that you don't have to cut the shield at all.

I don't have picture posting abilities right now, but the the process is very easy. I watched a few youtube videos to learn it. The shield looks stock but shorter. If you're combating buffeting, the biggest bit of advise I can give is to try the mirror extenders first. They had the biggest effect. You may find that you don't have to cut the shield at all.

Okay awesome, and where to get then mirror extender, any specific ones that you referring to?

I believe the issue with this bike and the wind buffering is real, I am glad am not the only one, that am not crazy, the fact there are so many people posting so many attempt to solve this problem in so many different ways tells me this is a big deal.

I have own about 12 different bikes in my career and never had these types of wind issues with any off them, I just sold my sportster with absolutely no wind protection and it was still more quiet and less aggravation with the wind.

I think it is just the shape of the bike, the way the fairing are shape or something, but this is like a mystical mystery that no one seems to dependably and securely find a solution for, it is mind boggling.

But when one gets to this point of desperation one is willing to try just about anything just to see if we can come on top in the end.

If the mirrors are the issue, I will remove both mirrors and go for a short ride without mirrors to see if that makes any difference... If it does I will order the extenders.

I do have a feeling that a short mini windshield would at least put the gust of air on your chest and not in your head which I rather that...

I wanted to share my experience with the buffeting issue. I have been experimenting a lot with the Madstad system lately because I was never completely satisfied with it; I removed the winglets because they syphoned air up and under my helmet drying out my eyes and bent the backplate so as to catch air and force it upwards as opposed to around it. I kept being uncomfortable. Next I tried removing an oval shape from windshield so it could hit the backplate and force itself over my head. After experimenting for many days and angles and heights the problem persisted. I was convinced it had something to do with the mirrors now. I re-angled the winglet tabs and reattached the winglets and the problem went away completely. I figured out what was happening, the wind was hitting the brake reservoir as well as the barkbusters hardware and creating violent buffetting that was causing me headaches and discomfort. The winglets dispurse the air out of the way before they get to those bits and since I angled them in a different position they no longer forced air inside my helmet. I have some mirrors on order and will experiment further when they arrive but I think I have already found the solution to my buffetting woes.

So did you turn the Madstad winglets upside down from the instructions? Tha is a little unclear to me.

So I put the mirror extenders on.
It seemed to help a little.

Next is to try putting the winglets back on.
I may try getting another OEM windshield and cutting it down.

Riding today it seemed that some air was hitting me in a broad zone from chest to head.
A LOT of air was coming over the handguards and up into my helmet.
Helmet vents open or closed seemed to make no difference, suggesting it is side air coming up into the helmet causing the buffeting, not the air over the windshield.

If I stood up I emerged into clean air.

I guess the final option is to put the Madstad back on and just live with the heat.

So I put the mirror extenders on.
It seemed to help a little.

Next is to try putting the winglets back on.
I may try getting another OEM windshield and cutting it down.

Riding today it seemed that some air was hitting me in a broad zone from chest to head.
A LOT of air was coming over the handguards and up into my helmet.
Helmet vents open or closed seemed to make no difference, suggesting it is side air coming up into the helmet causing the buffeting, not the air over the windshield.

If I stood up I emerged into clean air.

I guess the final option is to put the Madstad back on and just live with the heat.

The curse of the NC700x

Mystery can't be solved.

Selling mine, 2012 $3800 or best offer

13f883115a4c70986a4cd12b1226c6c1.jpg

Put hand guards on.It really helps!
I'm 5'10" have a Puig Windscreen with a 3" lip and the single point Storm Harnguards, get no buffeting what-so-ever. 70 - 75 on the Highway smooth as can be.
(also a good helmet, I love the Shoie RF-1200 made a huge difference compared to my HJC.)

20170704_121811.jpg

Put hand guards on.It really helps!
I'm 5'10" have a Puig Windscreen with a 3" lip and the single point Storm Harnguards, get no buffeting what-so-ever. 70 - 75 on the Highway smooth as can be.
(also a good helmet, I love the Shoie RF-1200 made a huge difference compared to my HJC.)

View attachment 34047
I took the plastic parts of my barkbusters off and that helped me, I'll put them back on when it gets cold. I've got the OEM tall windshield I've been thinking of getting a lip for it but haven't yet

I am moderately certain that the big aftermarket handguards most of us have put on are a big part of the problem. I suspect Honda, which understands air flow very well, did not test the NC with big handguards.

By the way, I notice some similar discussion at the Africa Twin forum.

I am moderately certain that the big aftermarket handguards most of us have put on are a big part of the problem. I suspect Honda, which understands air flow very well, did not test the NC with big handguards.

By the way, I notice some similar discussion at the Africa Twin forum.
I took mine off and noticed no difference. They were on the bike when I got it.

Back