• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

1 Month, 3,000 Mile Review

kebrider

Reaction score
Visit site
One of my reasons for buying the NC700x was to do some light touring to Florida and Maine this year from my home in Knoxville. My reasoning for the NC instead of using my Tiger 800, VFR, Versys, or buying a purpose-built long haul machine was the combination of reduced running costs/maintenance, the bike's comfort potential and the laid back handling and mechanical presence of the bike. Like any vehicle purchase there are several unknowns but I did enough research to be well informed on what I was buying.

After my first 3,000 miles, which included a 2,000 mile trip to Florida, I now know I bought the bike I wanted. I ran the bike to its full potential during a 400+ mile romp through the mountains including the tail of the dragon, the Cherohala Skyway and various roads near North GA and the bike proved fun and relaxing at the same time. It has less pure sporting potential than any of my other bikes (VFR, Tiger 800, Versys) but it is no less fun to ride.
I did primarily interstate to Florida and back and the bike handled it with ease. A simple airhawk seat cushion, technically their passenger model I think was all I did for comfort. 740 miles on the way to Florida and I never squirmed once. I did put Buell pegs which really opens up the seat-to-peg dimension. I am just over 6’1” and in my mid 50’s and I never had any knee issues, amazing. I have lowered pegs on all my bikes except the Tiger 800 but the rearset angle and lower position from the Buell pegs makes the NC my comfort king.

I installed the Honda heated grips and they were life savers as the ride down and back was in the 40’s with rain most of the way. I have a Givi V46 top box and I also fastened a large tail/tank bag to the rear seat with quick connect straps that only added a little time to gas stops. I averaged 75 to 80 MPH for speed and 60 MPG with one 56 MPG tank where I did some top speed runs (triple digits sustained) and never got much below 80mph for any time. Normal highway cruising with traffic I will figure 60 MPG with a correction for headwinds. I usually gassed up at 160 to 180 miles and I usually took less than 3 gallons so around a gallon left for safety.

While in Florida I averaged near 70 MPG. After 100 miles I would take under 1.5 gallons to fill up while my friend’s V4 Tuono would take over 3 gallons. Tire wear was excellent with only mild flat spotting. Any of my other bikes would have worn their tires to at least half way and burned at least another 8 gallons of fuel for the same trip so the bike fulfilled its promise of lower running cost.

So I rode around on impulse power instead of warp drive all week and had one of the better midrange trips in recent memory. Took a nice cruise this weekend and had a blast on the back roads. A versatile bike and great fun as I anticipated. I got a ton of questions from mostly older riders during my trip. Employees of other manufacturers working the demo rides were very curious about the bike. I felt like captured the essence of the bike when I would tell them the bike doesn’t hold you back from having fun.

Most of my friends are very surprised I bought one because I have always gravitated toward more sporting rigs but this bike has enough sporting potential for any sane street ride and it has a unique feel for a 650 class bike. My only complaint is the front suspension so I will be upgrading the forks with the Cogent drop in damper mod and that should help with their harshness.

KEB

Great report, Thanks. I also love my NC700x but haven't put quite the miles you have since I have only had it a month in Pa and we have had too much ice.

Thanks for the excellent review Kimball. I agree with your insights. It's a bike that appeals to the logic center of the brain.

I'm sorry we were not able to meet up while you were in FL.

Excellent post. Great review. I plan on doing some type of review after I have had mine for awhile.

It was a thoughtful review. I've put 30K on my NC in less than a year, but as I own no other motorcycles and haven't ridden anything else in 30 years, I can't do the comparisons that made his review so credible. 'Nice work!

Thanks for the excellent review Kimball. I agree with your insights. It's a bike that appeals to the logic center of the brain.

I'm sorry we were not able to meet up while you were in FL.

The riding is better up this way anyway. I had fun in Florida just cruising around, the loping gait of the NC was the perfect way to get around. It is equally as fun in the mountains.

One thing I omitted in my review...the frunk should win some kind of engineering excellence award.

I totally disagree with Motorcyclist editor Marc Cook's assertion at the end of his 10,000 mile test that the NC is too underpowered and under braked to appeal to experienced motorcyclists. On the contrary, it is actually a superb motorcycle that has a lot more to offer than just acceleration and stopping power. In my opinion Honda finally figured out what I have known all along; a durable, practical, refined, and relaxing-to-ride bike that is equally fun to cruise or strafe and never gets in the way of having fun will meet the needs of many experienced motorcyclists.

Look at the bikes available over the last 30 years and try and find a model that compares to the NC700X. Truly a one of a kind IMHO.

KEB

Hey ...

Enjoyed your review -- can you post a pic and/or tell us the part number of the Buell pegs that you mentioned ??

Thanks ...

The riding is better up this way anyway. I had fun in Florida just cruising around, the loping gait of the NC was the perfect way to get around. It is equally as fun in the mountains.

One thing I omitted in my review...the frunk should win some kind of engineering excellence award.

I totally disagree with Motorcyclist editor Marc Cook's assertion at the end of his 10,000 mile test that the NC is too underpowered and under braked to appeal to experienced motorcyclists. On the contrary, it is actually a superb motorcycle that has a lot more to offer than just acceleration and stopping power. In my opinion Honda finally figured out what I have known all along; a durable, practical, refined, and relaxing-to-ride bike that is equally fun to cruise or strafe and never gets in the way of having fun will meet the needs of many experienced motorcyclists.

Look at the bikes available over the last 30 years and try and find a model that compares to the NC700X. Truly a one of a kind IMHO.

KEB

Some people get it. Some do not. Most moto-journalists are usually hard to please in the horsepower department.

I also disagreed with Mr. Cook regarding the braking. So did just about every published NC700X performance test that showed short stops 60-0 mph of around 115 feet. Nothing shabby about that.

Hey ...

Enjoyed your review -- can you post a pic and/or tell us the part number of the Buell pegs that you mentioned ??

Thanks ...

Buell Peg Shot.jpg

They are simply known as Buell XB footpegs. Not a mod for everybody as there is a fair amount of grinding that has to be done to get them to fit properly but the price is under $40. I got mine on Ebay at this link.

Would have preferred Ulysses footpegs but they are double the cost and I just wanted to see if I could deal with the loss of ground clearance.

KEB

View attachment 13108

They are simply known as Buell XB footpegs. Not a mod for everybody as there is a fair amount of grinding that has to be done to get them to fit properly but the price is under $40. I got mine on Ebay at this link.

Would have preferred Ulysses footpegs but they are double the cost and I just wanted to see if I could deal with the loss of ground clearance.

KEB

Thanks for the info ..

Great write up. I think most would agree with your assessment of the NCX. I will definitely look into the Airhawk seat cushion for long rides.

Some people get it. Some do not. Most moto-journalists are usually hard to please in the horsepower department.

I also disagreed with Mr. Cook regarding the braking. So did just about every published NC700X performance test that showed short stops 60-0 mph of around 115 feet. Nothing shabby about that.
I read in MCN the Aprilia Tuono super naked stopped 60-0 in 121 feet with its "excellent brakes".

KEB

I totally agree with this post summarizing the NCX. Also, as a subscriber to Motorcyclist Magazine, along with Cycle World and Rider, I have found the Editor for Motorcyclist - Marc Cook - seems to be compensating for a small penis. He HAS to have the power or "it aint a real motorcycle". I almost cancelled my subscription to Motorcyclist because Mr. Cook is a pinhead. But I enjoy some of the other writers and sections so I didn't.

Hey nice review, I've had my NCX for 10 weeks but only covered 1400 miles so your review was interesting to read.

I'm doing a 1000 mile round trip at Easter, 700 of which will be motorway miles, I look forward to see how the bike fares for such a trip.

I totally agree with this post summarizing the NCX. Also, as a subscriber to Motorcyclist Magazine, along with Cycle World and Rider, I have found the Editor for Motorcyclist - Marc Cook - seems to be compensating for a small penis. He HAS to have the power or "it aint a real motorcycle". I almost cancelled my subscription to Motorcyclist because Mr. Cook is a pinhead. But I enjoy some of the other writers and sections so I didn't.

lol snort chuckle :D :D

Don't be too hard on Marc Cook. He is doing a good job at Motorcyclist and he owns a Versys so he can't be all bad. I disagree with his overall assessment but that doesn't mean either one of us is right or wrong. His opinion of the bike is solely based on his opinion of what he thinks an expert, veteran motorcyclist wants from a motorcycle and I think he underestimates our maturity and taste.

I like the low key job he has done at Motorcyclist. Not the most dynamic personality but the tests seem more thorough since he took over.

KEB

I hate to say this but I agree with Marc Cook on one thing and that is the brakes. Maybe you guys have better brakes than me but the first time I rode mine and hit the brakes they felt weak to me. My ST1300 and Kawi Concours 14 feel way better to me but they are way heavier bikes so it could be a misconception in my mind.

Back