• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

160/60-17 rear tire and 16t countershaft sprocket. 2018 NC750X

senecagreen

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2018 NC750X with stock 140/40-17 rear tire and stock 17/43 front and rear sprockets. Im going to need a back tire soon and want to go to a 160/60-17 rear.

I used the gearing commander calculator and found if I use a 16t countershaft sprocket and a 160/60 rear tire the difference at 70mph is 1.5mph from stock. The difference with the stock rear 140/40 and a 16t at 70mph is 4mph.

I can live with a 1.5mph error on my speedometer. I think the gearing change will compensate well for the tire change. Has anyone else done this?

I have a 2018 NC750X with stock 140/40-17 rear tire and stock 17/43 front and rear sprockets. Im going to need a back tire soon and want to go to a 160/60-17 rear.

I used the gearing commander calculator and found if I use a 16t countershaft sprocket and a 160/60 rear tire the difference at 70mph is 1.5mph from stock. The difference with the stock rear 140/40 and a 16t at 70mph is 4mph.

I can live with a 1.5mph error on my speedometer. I think the gearing change will compensate well for the tire change. Has anyone else done this?
Look at your owner's manual!

Its 3mph difference at 70mph so even with the taller 170/60 rear tire and the 16t front sprocket it will still be a lower ratio. This probably the way I will go.

Its 3mph difference at 70mph so even with the taller 170/60 rear tire and the 16t front sprocket it will still be a lower ratio. This probably the way I will go.
So am I right in thinking that you misread your current tyre size as 140/60/17, whereas in fact it is the normal stock 160/60/17?
If this is the case then I am not sure what you hope to achieve by changing to the slightly wider 170/60/17. This change may not necessarily give you more grip. It might adversely affect the way the bike tips into corners. Manufacturers spend a long time optimising tyre sizes. Is the 170/60/17 influenced more by looks than logic? The stock '160' is eminently capable of providing balanced grip and nimble handling, whereas a bigger heavier tyre might detract from the handling and is also more likely to overwhelm the already inadequate rear shock, due to slightly more unsprung weight. Tread carefully.

Last edited:
you are right of course. I do have the oem 160/60 on the rear. I want to put shinko 705's on it for looks and it only comes in 150/70 or 170/60 in rear sizes. I don't want to raise the rear too much as that will affect the handling. I want to offset that and gear it down slightly because this is just a foo foo bike to me for pretend hooning lol

I really enjoy just having fun on it. The camshafts in this 270 degree twin encourage you to open it up and hear it riding around town (I have a delkevic slip on) the 16t front will loft the front wheel a little higher in 1st without abusing the clutch which I don't do.

Its funny how even other 270 degree twins like the new suzuki gsx8 don't sound as good because the camshafts are what really influences the sound.

Im not going to take curves at sportbike speeds so the shinko's should be fine and I do occasionaly ride it down a dirt road to explore.

I think lighter weight oil in the forks will be the only change in the suspension for me it has a pretty good ride for my weight and the shad seat it came with I don't have any complaints about even though initially I thought it would be too soft.

Although I take riding seriously and am aware of how I am riding this bike is just a fun ride and meant to be fun within its limits which it is.

My concours 14 is not as much fun in that respect although it is more practical for serious long distance riding and has thrilling acceleration when you want to do that.

The last bike I rode that was just fun and not meant to be taken seriously was a 2021 honda grom. it was super slow but could do 45 in town and made you smile riding it.

The NC750X is like a big grom in that regard that you can take on the highway.

The Shinko 705 in 150/70 size is less expensive that the 170/60. Most people tend to go with the cheaper one.

you are right of course. I do have the oem 160/60 on the rear. I want to put shinko 705's on it for looks and it only comes in 150/70 or 170/60 in rear sizes. I don't want to raise the rear too much as that will affect the handling. I want to offset that and gear it down slightly because this is just a foo foo bike to me for pretend hooning lol

I really enjoy just having fun on it. The camshafts in this 270 degree twin encourage you to open it up and hear it riding around town (I have a delkevic slip on) the 16t front will loft the front wheel a little higher in 1st without abusing the clutch which I don't do.

Its funny how even other 270 degree twins like the new suzuki gsx8 don't sound as good because the camshafts are what really influences the sound.

Im not going to take curves at sportbike speeds so the shinko's should be fine and I do occasionaly ride it down a dirt road to explore.

I think lighter weight oil in the forks will be the only change in the suspension for me it has a pretty good ride for my weight and the shad seat it came with I don't have any complaints about even though initially I thought it would be too soft.

Although I take riding seriously and am aware of how I am riding this bike is just a fun ride and meant to be fun within its limits which it is.

My concours 14 is not as much fun in that respect although it is more practical for serious long distance riding and has thrilling acceleration when you want to do that.

The last bike I rode that was just fun and not meant to be taken seriously was a 2021 honda grom. it was super slow but could do 45 in town and made you smile riding it.

The NC750X is like a big grom in that regard that you can take on the highway.
Understood …. and thank you for your detailed and interesting reply. Enjoy.

Sorry I don't get it. To fit an incorrect size tyre for the "looks" Surely there's a correctly sized tyre available that looks OK?
The OP wants to use a particular tire that is not available in the stock size. So, if one wants to use a Shinko 705 on an NCX for whatever the reason might be, they need to use an alternate size, hopefully nearest to stock size.

I have run rear Shinko 705s in 150-70/17 and the world did not end.

The radius of the Shinko170/6017 is 6mm larger than the stock BS 160/60/17. The Shinko 150/70/17 will be 9mm larger than stock. If OP is concerned about ride height, this could be a deciding factor.
I ride on Shinko before on my Zephyr 750. They did surprisingly well on the street and they are not that noisy either. 80/20 of road is about right. I put them on the Zephyr for the look as well, I went with minimum increase of ride height.

Sorry I don't get it. To fit an incorrect size tyre for the "looks" Surely there's a correctly sized tyre available that looks OK?
Its 10mm wider than stock.
25.4 mm = 1"
10mm = .394 thousandths so barely over 3/8" wider than stock.

I am comfortable that it is within the safety margin of the range of tires recommended for the stock rim width.
Its just a slightly fatter look which is what I would prefer over the slightly thinner than stock 150/70 alternate size in Shinko 705 rear tires.

Its 10mm wider than stock.
25.4 mm = 1"
10mm = .394 thousandths so barely over 3/8" wider than stock.

I am comfortable that it is within the safety margin of the range of tires recommended for the stock rim width.
Its just a slightly fatter look which is what I would prefer over the slightly thinner than stock 150/70 alternate size in Shinko 705 rear tires.
I would choose the same. As the tire gets wider, it also gets taller to keep the 60 profile. Like I said before 6mm taller is not a big deal unless it is important to you.

Back