• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2012 NC700X vs 2001 Honda VFR 800

To me (having 2 VFRs one was the 800 Vtech) these two bikes are so different, that it's hard to even compare them... JMHO

That is exactly what happened, coming into a left turn at speed the rear was spinning and sliding all the way into the corner. The bike started to drop to the inside and the rear started to come around, then suddenly the bike hooked up and flipped the violently up and over its right side and off the side of the road. That is the classic high side. I had a perfect view of the entire process as we were following a quick KTM motard and I was on my CB500F "sport bike".

When trying to make quick time on a heavy 100HP bike the tendency is to get on the throttle early and that is what it appeared happened as the rear was spinning on corner entry. Add to that the rider had been using premium sport tires on his VFR and then put a set of Michelin PR2s on for this ride. The Road 2 is a good tire but there is no way it can hang with the group we ride with unless the rider is very skilled at sliding their tires. The guy we were chasing has a $40,000 custom KTM which is essentially a race bike and he runs racing slicks that he slowly brings up to temperature and keeps going faster as he gets heat in them. Not a great pace bike for a VFR with sport touring tires.

I really love the NC and CB in the tight mountain stuff because they are quick enough with super sticky sport tires to hang all but the nutters but you really have to make a bad move to break the rear loose. The CB500F with modified suspension (same cogent fork kit as I did on the NC and I put the NC shock on it) is an absolute beast on roads like the dragon. It is almost unfair the ease with which it turns and how tight a line it carves. It is a set of rearsets and a more inward mounted exhaust away from being ridiculously fast. My NC hangs with the CB with almost identical corner speed and superior torque which helps mostly with uphill acceleration.

Someone told me this weekend he went with an FZ-07 because the "NC has no balls". I told him legs are more important when you want to go quickly and he got a first hand demonstration what a difference a well tuned suspension makes.
I'm pretty sure it is Kieth Code's number 1 survival reaction in his primer Twist of The Wrist - SR #1 is never, ever, ever, ever, ever snap the throttle shut in a corner and never, ever, ever, ever, ever if the rear wheel begins to step out. Sure, easier said than done but keep the throttle at the same place may lead into to a low side or the one in a million times the rear tire begins to hook up again without catching all at once and you just end up laying down a long darkie. I swear this happened to me on my ST on the Blood Mountain part of 129 north of Turners Corner. I touched the centerstand down in a left hander and levered a little load off the rear tire and it began to spin up and slide. I kept the throttle at the same pace and the Avon Storm rear slowly hooked up again as slowly as it had began to slide. The guy behind me said he first noticed sparks flying then tire smoke and was sure I was going to high side but the back end came back under me and we went right on around and kept going.

The motorcycle I owned immediately prior to the NC was a 2000 VFR. I was enamoured with the engine, engine vocals and the handling. What I couldn't live with was the seating position (even with raised bars and lowered pegs). Yes, I could accomplish Ely NV to my home in 16 1/2 hours (996 miles) but I paid the price.
I'm over 50 now and was okay giving up 50% of available horsepower for something a little funkier, much lighter with an upright seating position and "built in," carrying capacity.

What do I miss?
The power. The noise. The cachet of owing *that* motorcycle.

What I've noticed?
I've revised the seat on the NC and I like the riding position. I'm not totally pleased with the windshield/protection just yet, but that was the same with the VFR. I spend a fraction of my funds on fuel. Tires sizes are readily available and usually on sale. With both motorcycles, I'd prefer to have an alternator producing just a little more juice, so I can run my heated grips and gear with no concerns. Well, and the HID's too. The NC is light. It impels me to giggle in my helmet with I tilt the horizon.

I like 'em both. Would I be happy with a VFR powered adventure styled motorcycle with a 600 watt alternator and 6 gallons of fuel capacity and shaft drive? You betchya!

I've had a 1996 Honda VFR 750 since 2005. I've done 6 or 7 900 mile days on her. For a young, in shape rider, it is a pretty comfortable sport tourer. I was always pretty comfortable for the first 500 miles in a days ride... the next 200 were starting to get cramped up.. the line that runs across your back at your shoulder blades starts to get tight and uncomfortable then. Your legs wish they could stretch out. at 700 miles the ride begins to get much less fun but still bearable. Usually the last 200 miles in my 900 mile rides were quite uncomfortable. However I do have to say that I did these 900 mile rides in 14 hours only getting off the bike to eat and use the bathroom. If I had gotten off more frequently it probably would have been more comfortable for longer.

I put 50k miles on my VFR and am now handing it down to my future son in law who has just started riding. I got my VFR when I was 40, and am now 51. I can tell you riding the NCX and riding the VFR now is a much different feeling. The comfort level on the NCX with the upright seated position and legs not bent back make it feel ultra comfortable compared to the VFR. I think age has something to do with that though. I don't think I'd really enjoy another 900 mile ride on the VFR, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it on the NCX now.

If your young and in great shape you may not feel the difference as much, but sitting leaned forward with your legs bent back behind you will take a toll on you much sooner than the upright riding position of the NCX.

Having said that, the VFR is an awesome bike. I didn't have the heart to sell mine, I'm glad I had someone to pass her down to as she deserves to be out there on the road!

Thanks again for the last responses. This is what I really wanted to know: how do these bikes compare comfort wise for long distance riding.

That being said, I agree that the sound of the VFR engine is simply amazing. I wish I could make my NC sound like that ;-) ...

For the people that mentioned the lack of wind protection of the NC: you might want to try Madstad adjustable windscreen. That thing is surreal. I only hear a little wind noise at the top of my helmet and the ride is really quiet. It's like I'm flying when I ride that bike.

I've had both.

The VFR's motor is magical and the suspension is proper.

That's all I liked about it though.

I ended up selling it and bought an NC.

I currently own a '98 VFR (the first year of the 5th gen), and just bought a used 2012 NC700X to replace it. The VFR can be a lot of fun. It is, however, top-heavy and somewhat unwieldy when you're not moving at high speeds. I found that I hated riding it around town and such...the number of chances I got to crack the throttle open without worry of killing myself were few and far between. So far, I've found myself able to have just as much fun on the NC, with a seeming 50% reduction in the number of instances of "oh s#!%". Suddenly finding yourself going 105mph is fun the first couple of times, but it can be a major liability.

One of the big reasons I bought the NC was comfort. The stock VFR seat is really pretty bad, and slippery. If you ride with someone pillion, expect them to slide into you constantly. I'm only 30 and find my wrists, back, and butt screaming at me after only 100-150 miles. I don't know how people use it as a sport tourer, frankly. The fairings do a pretty good job keeping the wind off your body, but there's a lot of helmet wind-noise using the standard windshield (I'm 5'8").

Back