• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

38 or a 45 - Going to Ricochet From Another Direction

Nofear2trek

Elite Member
Reaction score
Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht t
Visit site
I am still on the fence over which size new aluminum side-cases, 38 or 45 liter, I want to invest in for long distance trips I like to take (only the matter of size). My last thread simply asked other long distance tourers what their preference was, 38 or a 45. Their experiences and insights shared are greatly appreciated.

By examining their responses, I found out my last question, of which size, might not have been the correct one to ask. What is of importance is why you would need a particular capacity. That being, how much (or how little) stuff you have a need to pack for a trip of longer durations.

This time I want to attack this dilemma from a different direction. Again, this question is directed to long distance riders, those NC riders that go out for more than a week at a time, camping (mostly) and using motels along the way (although anyone's two cents is always welcome).

So, my new questions will be (a different subject in turn), about what do you pack?

What do you pack, first specifically for maintenance & repairs of the NC?

What do you have on that must have tool list? Name names and sizes. What is on the "would never leave home without them", spare and repair parts list? How much (and how) of which fluids do you carry with? Do you pack a nifty tire inflator? (Please don't just say...tools and extra parts, lol.). After a long summer of enjoying rides, it's time to bear the soul of what you really squirrelled away on your NC.

I will follow later with further packing subjects, but this one is probably the best one to start with.

Ray

Last edited:
I know all the pros say "less is more", and how people always end up sending home boxes full of stuff they find they are not using when on some big tour, etc., but I must be the exception to the rule lol.

I am a creature of comfort. I won't deny it, and I won't defend it. Anything I leave at home I bitterly wish I hadn't, and pine for it the rest of the trip, heehee.

Things that I generally take, if going out for a true week or more, out by myself in the boonies trip where I need to be completely self sufficiant. Some are duh obvious, but ya never know. Large groups of items will be swapped or left out depending on time of year, weather, distance/length of time away from a city, etc.

-three man tent, rain fly. Most people know that when they say "two man tent" that the folks they chose to represent "two" were under 100 lbs and about 4' tall. A three man is barely adequate for me and my gear. Plus I'm too old and unbendy to favour a tangled crawling process as it is, getting in and out. Front and rear zipped doors are a must for me.

-twin size air mattress, 12v pump, patching repair kit
-foam/self inflate pillow
-regular size barrel type sleeping bag roughly 5* C temp rating, synthetic fill. I would prefer a micro compact down kind for sure, but am dragging my heels to open my wallet for one... $$$$$
-fleece liner if cold enough
-fuzzy sleeping sox (cold feet lol)
-candle lantern + led version of same
-shaving kit (though not really for shaving, I tend to stay rather scruffy) more so for other items- tooth brush, gel, floss, eyeglasses, spare contact lens, two small bottles saline, reading glasses, sliver tweezers, small mirror, small minor first aid selection, micro wash body and clothes multipurpose soap/cloth/towel/moist wipes/TP/etc.
-3 pairs hideously expensive moisture wicking uber motoX sox (Alpinestars brand) wash and dry almost instantly
-3 pairs synthetic uber moisture wicking shorts unknown brand
-1 pair synthetic khaki pants kind of things
-light mesh running shoes
-2 short sleeve tshirts, 1 long sleeve synthetic wicking type, 1 motox style jersey
-Icon field armor Stryker Rig
-Icon Kevlar shorts
-Fox Titan Pro knee/shin guards
-Sidi ADV Goretex boots
-Gauntlet leather racing gloves
-shorty synthetic motoX gloves
-leather gauntlet rain gloves
-shorty goretex motoX rain gloves
-heated gloves if freezing out
-heated jacket liner if freezing out
-Firstgear Kenya outer jacket
-backup Joe Rocket breathable membrane rain liner
-thermal wicking synthetic longjohns
-Aerostich AD-1 rain pants, goretex, zipper repair kits
-TLD motoX vented pants

-compass, gps, adapters, cables, batteries, chargers
-Kindle Ebook
-camera
-video camera
-paper maps of area, and/or Backroads mapbook
-iPad
-iPhone
-12v and usb adapters, 75w inverter
-Antigravity Microstart XP-3
-MP3 player
-silicone ear plugs (several pairs)
-Wolfman Rainier tankbag, rain cover
-snacks in outer pocket for riding noms

-12v air compressor
-6 co2 16g cartridges
-string type tire repair kit (inc, rasp/reamer/installer, rubber cement, spare valve cores, removal tool, 17" inner tube, forged aluminum tire irons, rim savers, lube, latex gloves)
-mechanix gloves
-spare bulb of every kind, fuses
-misc fastener selection, zip ties, safety wire, epoxy, rad repair, duct tape, electrical tape, self amalgamating rubber tape
-all appropriate size metric ratchet wrenches, allen keys, mini vice grips, Leatherman Super Tool
-cargo bungie net
-misc electrical connectors, wire, crimpers
-Rok straps, misc fastex buckle webbing straps
-500ml engine oil
-2, 1 litre MSR fuel bottles with gasoline, 1 gal Rotopax, 6.5 litre fuel cell (depending)

-1.5 litre Camelback
-2 litre MSR bag
-1 litre MSR bag
-Sawyer mini water filtration device
-1 litre titanium pot
-titanium knife, fork, spoon
-titanium long handle spoon
-3 MRE's
-3 Mountain House meals
-Titanium cup, titanium alcohol stove, 8 oz methyl hydrate
-1/2 dozen or so Murchies No. 10 tea bags, sugar, whitener, coffee (good fresh ground, not the instant stuff in the MRE's) strainer
-MSR Whisperlite stove
-1 litre white gas
-Helinox Chair One

-Big *** hunting knife
-bear spray
-air horn
-emergency fire starter kit (flint/steel/tinder/spare lighter)
-550 paracord
-camo tarp
-knot cheat sheet
-mosquito headnet
-Tilley hat
-Foursevens led flashlight

Plus a zillion other things that I'm forgetting of course.

Sounds like a godawful amount, eh? hahaha :eek:

Between being stuffed away in every nook and cranny of the bike, there are a lot of items that fluff up that list to make it look berzerkly disproportionate; I can fit all that stuff into my Trax 37 litre bags, 38 litre top box, frunk and tankbag, plus usually a small drybag compression sack on the passenger seat, with room left over in all of the boxes/bags.

This is a fully loaded pic during a two week long, roughly 6K km trip last year:

DSCF1658.jpg

Doesn't look thaaaaat bad I don't think...:rolleyes:

Make a list of what you THINK you need, and trim it down from there. The only real difference between long trips and short trips is the amount of food and water you need. If you aren't in the middle of nowhere for days on end, you can buy supplies as needed.

Clothes can be easily washed on the road if you get the right stuff.

I currently have Givi E46 topcase and a large dry bag from Walmart (I think it holds 12l). My sleeping gear and clothes go in the dry bag on the back seat. Cooking gear, food, and other stuff goes in the top case. Sundry things like camera(s), snacks, rain gear go in the frunk.

I do use a hammock, so it takes up a little less space than a tent (unless you have a fancy tent).
I have a small hydration pack I either wear or strap on top of the dry bag.

Some people say strapping stuff to the back seat makes gas stops a pain. I made a pair of straps with side release buckles. It adds MAYBE 2 minutes if I take my time.

I think I eventually want to get just a set of side cases (Shad 36 or Givi V35s) and I think I will be able to eliminate the dry bag.

Ultimately it only maters what works best for you.

ETA: I do have 2 tool tubes currently mounted where side bags would be, and they would have to be relocated if I get side cases...

d46f78cebc498f90299f3972ee445b65.jpg

Last edited:
I know all the pros say "less is more", and how people always end up sending home boxes full of stuff they find they are not using when on some big tour, etc., but I must be the exception to the rule lol.

I am a creature of comfort. I won't deny it, and I won't defend it. Anything I leave at home I bitterly wish I hadn't, and pine for it the rest of the trip, heehee.

[Approximately 118 things snipped for brevity…]

Plus a zillion other things that I'm forgetting of course.

Sounds like a godawful amount, eh? hahaha :eek:

Doesn't look thaaaaat bad I don't think...:rolleyes:

I think it's very fortunate that you pack titanium silverware to save weight… :)

I kid, I kid…

Honestly, I have a ton of respect for you guys who go out for days or weeks at a time with only camping gear. I'm a wuss when it comes to roughing it. I used to kid my family that my idea of roughing it was borrowing my mom's 37 foot motorhome with the queen sized bed, 8 kilowatt generator, 100 gallons of fresh water, parquet wood floors and a blender built in to the Corian countertop!

If she still owned the motorhome, I guess I'd consider towing my NC700 behind it and using it as base camp for some multi-day adventures!

Last edited:
Here is my R1150R on the way to Hyder, AK back when I thought I knew what to take on a long trip. I had two bear-proof food containers with about two weeks of freeze-dried meals. I had 1.5 gallons of drinking water and 10 gallons of gas. I had four different ways to patch a tire (used them all too!). You want tools and spare parts? Got 'em. I could scare bears and repel mosquitos. My campsite was luxurious. But the beast was a total unforgiving chore to drive. I felt like I was piloting a Texaco double-hull oil tanker. It collapsed onto its side during a rest stop, and if it wasn't for a strapping young Ktunaxa brave who stopped to help me (on his way to climb a mountain), it would still be sitting there...

leeta.jpg

My wife takes starting pics from the same place each time (I guess in case I don't come back she can show people the launching pic). This is the wife-pattern leaving shot for Alaska / Inuvik in 2012. Holy Overloaded Batmobile, Batman!

leeta leave for alaska.jpg

This is how I packed the NC (same wife-pattern shot) for a similar length trip across Labrador in 2014 (which was a DNF because of electrical gremlins, but it was packed to make the trip and otherwise would have). Even the rider is down 45 lbs. from the one on his way to Hyder.

lenita.jpg

Here we are camped at a campground at Maniqouagan Reservoir...

lenita camp.jpg

For whatever I traded off in camp comfort and preparedness, I got back double in the joy of the journey and the peace of mind from being able to right my own ship should she go tail-over-teakettle on me.

Last edited:
-all appropriate size metric ratchet wrenches, allen keys, mini vice grips

That is quite a comprehensive list, thanks, but I actually asked about tools this time, lol. What are the actual tools (and sizes) you listed as "all appropriate"?

About personal items, soap, deodorant, bug spray, how many pairs of socks or underwear, well, those are personal and we all have different needs. I will let that question pass (to save some embarrassing answers, like, "we're supposed to wear underwear?").

Ray

I think your question is too broad. We all take different things depending on needs and abilities. I carry a fair amount of assorted tools. But others take things to change tires, I don't as I don't change my own tires. My tools have been used by others who had nothing. I think your best bet is to make a list of what you think would be good. Use the list you got here and take a trip. After a week trip you will have a good idea of what you need. Some things may get shipped home and there may be frequent stops at Walmart. Part of the adventure is the discovery, new places, and the learning experience of things needed, times to not hit large towns, time for the interstate or the dirt,...... Depends on time of the year as well on what is packed. The direction going etc.

You can pick through what others tell you, but if you try to combine all the info you will need that RV.

Nofear2trek said:
...I actually asked about tools this time

I use the frunk exclusively for tools and bike needs. As this stuff is generally the heaviest of my packload, I like to have the weight forward, leaving the space at the rear for lighter stuff (than wrenches, etc.) Based on doing this for decades, my chief paranoias are flat tires and flat batteries. To wit:

NC Tool bag in frunk...

Small can of WD40
6 ft. Stanley tape measure (mainly for measuring chain slack)
Pencil type tire gauge
Antigravity Micro-start jumper battery (Plan A jump) (saved my bacon in Quebec)
MotoPump Bag (Plan A air)(fav. brand of tire pump)
-MotoPump
-Shop rag
-Jumper cables (Plan B jump)
-Honda spark plug wrench
-10, 12, 14mm GearWrench ratcheting comb. wrenches
-Honda 22mm wrench for rear axle
-Honda 27mm wrench for rear axle
-Honda axle wrench extender
-Hex nut stack for 17mm front axle Allen
-Box cutter knife
45 gram CO2 cartr. (Plan B air) (x2) plus valve chuck
MotionPro compact tool kit with
-14mm socket wrench
-8mm socket wrench
-12mm socket wrench
-10mm open and box end
-1/4"drive adapter
-3/8" drive adapter
-#1 and #2 JIS cross bits
-Small and large slotted bits
-4mm, 5mm and 6mm Allen bits
-12mm 1/4" drive socket
-10mm 1/4" drive socket
Stop-n-Go tire plugger kit (Plan A patch) with
-SnG installation tool
-SnG punch tool
-cheap knife
-Bag of SnG plugs
-Standard gummy patches (Plan B patch) with probe / hole cleaner
-Gummy patch installation tool
-10 gummy strips
DynaPlug kit (Plan C patch)with
-Installation tool
-Insertion tool
-repair plugs (3)

Last edited:
I have not done it yet for this bike because it will be a while before I take any trips but what I did many years ago is to make a list.
Duh, right?
But how to make a list.
Well...................
When I did maintenance I listed all the tools I used. And all the parts.
Wrench sizes, socket drivers and sizes, screwdrivers, you name it. Points, plugs, fuses.......etc. I know you didn't want to see the etc. Sorry.

So, an early stop was in Atlanta to see my Brother. He said I did not need the HUGE crescent wrench I always used for the rear axle and so traded me a smaller one. It worked for the months I was gone but I sure missed the big'un.
I also had a tire tool called a "breezer". I don't know if it is still around but helps even though you need a hammer. I carried a hammer. Yep, sure did. Used that puppy too! But the breezer will shure mar the painted rims. Not bad on the old chrome stuff though.

Lots of yakkin' and not much help maybe but that is the way I will make the NC list. Starting at the next service interval.......I plan anyway.

My list is not as extensive as some covered here, but its close. I put things into pencil boxes that can fit either my small top box or the frunk. One box with a jump start battery and hardware that doubles as a backup battery for my phone. One box for tire repair that includes a couple of CO2 cartridges, gummy worms, reamer, etc. The pump is velcroed into one of the fake air vents (I wonder if it is still there.) One box for first aid, but that is beyond this discussion. But I'm always prepared for the day when I see a guy get in a wreck and I'm there to help. I can see it now. He will be impressed and ask "Are you a doctor?", and I will say, "No. But I am a guy with three hours of first aid training and a pencil box full of band-aids, gauze tape, and maxi-pads. Can I touch you now?" I will never use that line because I'm moving that stuff to a tool tube so anyone can get to it without keys. The fourth pencil box is for the tools needed to remove both wheels, adjust the chain, remove my home made top box setup, replace the rear brake light (JIS #2), and remove that fake air vent mentioned earlier. Plus a few other things.

Some things not yet mentioned probably because they are not really tools, but I think will be helpful when using the tools. Some are obvious:

A couple of flashlights.
Tiedown straps and Rok-Straps.
A small can of chain lube.
Electrical tape.
A small orange LED flasher unit for night time issues. The idea being it goes 50 feet behind the bike. Or if I'm ever in a parade. :)

That is quite a comprehensive list, thanks, but I actually asked about tools this time, lol. What are the actual tools (and sizes) you listed as "all appropriate"?

Sorry,:eek: I don't know your mechanical abilities and where you are actually going to be riding, how far away from cities you are going to be, etc. So anything more than basic tools could branch off into sub sections of what you are personally willing to tackle on the side of the road. Do you have a center stand? Are you able to cobble up a support to hold the bike up for a wheel change if not, using a stick, or do you call AAA? I can't know these things without seeing more of your posts and getting a sense from you, for specific answers.

Re: my original list above, this is my basic. I may add/subtract other things on a whim, or go full bore with things like the Honda Shop Manual, and multimeters, etc., if I'm going to NWT. Only a week and less than X miles from a city? Not so much with Shop Manuals and valve spring compressors, lol

-12v air compressor
-6 co2 16g cartridges
-string type tire repair kit (inc, rasp/reamer/installer, rubber cement, spare valve cores, removal tool, 17" inner tube, forged aluminum tire irons, rim savers, lube, latex gloves)
-mechanix gloves
-spare bulb of every kind, fuses
-misc fastener selection, zip ties, safety wire, epoxy, rad repair, duct tape, electrical tape, self amalgamating rubber tape
-all appropriate size metric ratchet wrenches, allen keys, mini vice grips, Leatherman Super Tool
-cargo bungie net
-misc electrical connectors, wire, crimpers
-Rok straps, misc fastex buckle webbing straps
-500ml engine oil

The "appropriate" just meant if the bike doesn't have any 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,11,13,18,21mm fasteners, then I don't take those wrenches or sockets. If we know the bike takes 8,10,12,14,17,19,22mm wrenches, then, well...:p No offense meant of course if you don't know this- you'll have to let me know more background as cogent to the topic.

One thing I forgot to mention, was a dedicated front axle removal bit, but again, I don't know how willing you are to spend money on some special tool, or make do with a Home Depot bolt double nutted, and a big ol' cresent wrench, and so on.

Sorry,:eek: I don't know your mechanical abilities and where you are actually going to be riding, how far away from cities you are going to be, etc.

Thanks all for your insightful responses so far.

This isn't about me, it's about what YOU pack, for whatever reasons. By getting a consensus of experienced long distance rider's tool & repair parts lists, I will develop my own list. I would like to always be able to first call AAA, but bottom line, I may find myself out of cell coverage with a breakdown I will have to deal with myself. We all have experienced the 'trial & error' approach to preparing for long trips. Here on this forum we have the wealth of long distance riders ready to share their secrets and 'must haves' in their kit, for breakdowns that happen in the wilderness (anywhere without cell coverage). I am only seeking sage advise here. No one is forced to share, but, "After a long summer of enjoying rides, it's time to bear the soul of what you really squirreled away on your NC". This time - Tools.

Ray

Last edited:
Reading the great ideas given here, I would sum it up to carry what you need to get moving again for the most likely thing. And then for the second thing. And then the third thing. And AAA and Visa cards.

Based on the problems I've seen happen to me and my friends, my fist thing was the battery jump start thing. It is also the easiest thing to use. $60-$120.

#2 for me was the dreaded flat tire. $30 for those cheap kits and cheap pump. $30 for the CO2 because the pump can fail you too.

#3 for me was 'out of gas'. $30 for an MSR bottle in a tool tube. $60 for a Rotopax.

Beyond that, like LBS said, it depends on where and when you are going and what you know you know you can fix.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

If you travel very remotely and alone, some means of calling assistance ought to be way up there on a par with tools. Since I travel alone, I take a satellite phone and use a Spot tracker. InReach is probably better than Spot for a lot more money. Spot and InReach can send a tow to places your cell phone won't reach. Both have road service plans similar to AAA and MediVac insurance is available as well. If you don't have one, sat phones can be rented. Crossing Labrador, the government will let you borrow an emergency only sat phone. Wouldn't work for me because I call the wife each evening for a few minutes. PLB's are an option as well.

Alone is the only way I will travel long distance, but alone doesn't have to mean ALONE!

Alone is the only way I will travel long distance, but alone doesn't have to mean ALONE!

Is that because they break down and have to borrow tools? :)
The wife and I stopped canoe trips with most because of the lack of canoeing and camping skills and general ineptness we experienced.

Back