• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

a few odd questions

Store a machine with a full tank and there will not be water in the fuel.
This is not true. I brought a too-long-parked K75 back to life with a topped up fuel tank. The gasahol had turned to a foul substance that ate every rubber bit inside the tank. Total disaster. Turned the hoses into little black pellets the size of jelly beans. Wrecked the fuel pump. Water at the bottom. Luckily, that fuel tank was aluminum.

Have seen this type of thing on other parked bikes as well.

Gasohol is bad juju.

This is not true. I brought a too-long-parked K75 back to life with a topped up fuel tank. The gasahol had turned to a foul substance that ate every rubber bit inside the tank. Total disaster. Turned the hoses into little black pellets the size of jelly beans. Wrecked the fuel pump. Water at the bottom. Luckily, that fuel tank was aluminum.

Have seen this type of thing on other parked bikes as well.

Gasohol is bad juju.
The K75 uses a rubber gasket to seal the fuel pump to the inside of the tank. The design preceded oxygenated fuels by many years and the original rubber part is attacked by alcohol. Modern BMWs, unlike old BMWs, are just like modern Hondas and every other modern machine designed to run on ethanol mix fuels. The newest K75 is twenty years old, the oldest over thirty. Gasohol problems are almost universally found in machines built before 2000.

I had a 1981 BMW R100 I bought in 2006 and put 40,000 miles on it before selling it in 2012 to buy my NCX. I had zero problems with ethanol gas in it after replacing the fuel lines with modern rubber designed to coexist with 10% ethanol.

Found a dealer down in Dover which would offer a test drive. Hopped down there today. Only rode 3 or 4 miles. Impressed.

Pros:
She pulls stumps right off the line. You are not hunting for the sweet spot; you are sweet right off the bat. The ride feels solid as a rock. Very relaxed under 4k. Yet all that weight is clearly low, cause she still feels nimble as a goat. Such a relief having brakes which actually do brake, coming off the KLR, which, essentially, has to be ridden as though it has no brakes. They are no BMW brakes, of course; but once bedded in would be way way better on my daily commute. I got to say the ergos feel just about one pair of Rox risers away from truly ideal. Shift, thumb controls, all right where you look for them. The frunk is cavernous. Easily fit a rain suit and a lunch bag in there. The windshield might as well not have been there didn't notice it at all -- could just tint it to shade the display. Nice display features... Did not expect a fuel gauge. Love the wide tires. Put some big block dual sports on there you'd have a nice ride on sand or gravel.

Cons:
The rev limiter is flat out rude, shutting down the engine like a truck jack brake. I imagine the fuel injection just shuts off, right? Above 4k RPM you can twist the throttle all you want, but not much happens. All you get is some vibes; no power. This, I suppose, is the flip side of having the sweet spot down so low. On the highway back to the dealer, I was stuck behind a slowpoke. Like any motorcycle rider, I kicked it down a gear, pulled left, set to pass. At first not much happened; then the rev limiter killed the engine. So I don't know how you jet past anyone. I never did get round her, so never did get up to freeway speed; but I don't think you'd have any muscle left in her once you hit 75. The seat is a brutal brick.But what the heck, most every motorcycle seems to come with a horrible seat, is one of the great mysteries of the motorcycle world.

I believe all the cons can be overcome by re-programming the ride habits and buying an aftermarket seat. Now to stack up some shekels, then start haunting craigslist.

I believe all the cons can be overcome by re-programming the ride habits
That has been easy for me since I have a DCT......Honda software engineers did the thinking for me.

Why is that a good thing? Because I have hundreds of thousands of miles on "conventional" motorcycles (and their shift points) and this bike is about two deviations to the right (left??) of anything I've ever ridden. I imagine many NC700x riders will be frustrated, especially if they come from other bikes of similar or larger displacement...

Three shifts to go across an intersection? Really? I don't care/notice because the bike does it automatically!! Have to shift down two gears to pass a line of cars running 55 mph? Who cares? All I do is twist the throttle and go...the software does the shifting for me ;-)

Don't get me wrong...I sometimes (everyday??) miss the kick in the pants that a typical bike gives me...but right now, for me, this bike is working great...

I do have my eye on a tricked out Grom though ;-)

Found a dealer down in Dover which would offer a test drive. Hopped down there today. Only rode 3 or 4 miles. Impressed.

Pros:
She pulls stumps right off the line. You are not hunting for the sweet spot; you are sweet right off the bat. The ride feels solid as a rock. Very relaxed under 4k. Yet all that weight is clearly low, cause she still feels nimble as a goat. Such a relief having brakes which actually do brake, coming off the KLR, which, essentially, has to be ridden as though it has no brakes. They are no BMW brakes, of course; but once bedded in would be way way better on my daily commute. I got to say the ergos feel just about one pair of Rox risers away from truly ideal. Shift, thumb controls, all right where you look for them. The frunk is cavernous. Easily fit a rain suit and a lunch bag in there. The windshield might as well not have been there didn't notice it at all -- could just tint it to shade the display. Nice display features... Did not expect a fuel gauge. Love the wide tires. Put some big block dual sports on there you'd have a nice ride on sand or gravel.

Cons:
The rev limiter is flat out rude, shutting down the engine like a truck jack brake. I imagine the fuel injection just shuts off, right? Above 4k RPM you can twist the throttle all you want, but not much happens. All you get is some vibes; no power. This, I suppose, is the flip side of having the sweet spot down so low. On the highway back to the dealer, I was stuck behind a slowpoke. Like any motorcycle rider, I kicked it down a gear, pulled left, set to pass. At first not much happened; then the rev limiter killed the engine. So I don't know how you jet past anyone. I never did get round her, so never did get up to freeway speed; but I don't think you'd have any muscle left in her once you hit 75. The seat is a brutal brick.But what the heck, most every motorcycle seems to come with a horrible seat, is one of the great mysteries of the motorcycle world.

I believe all the cons can be overcome by re-programming the ride habits and buying an aftermarket seat. Now to stack up some shekels, then start haunting craigslist.

I too had a learning curve with the NC. Last year I test rode one at "Honda Ride" days at my local dealer. I too bounced off the limiter a couple of times BUT once I made a effort to pay attention to it ...it was all good. Lots of power (torque) all with a twist of the wrist.
Now with me buying my NC this spring ..I have bounced off the limiter a few times but just when I ride it like a "regular" bike. LOL Just need to "twist the wrist" and leave it in a higher gear !!

Back