• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A new source for Handguards........:)

Installing the Aprilia Handguards

Are the people installing the Aprilia handguards on their NC700X using the NC700X OEM bar end weights, or using the weights that come with the Aprilia handguard kit?
I am thinking if you use the Aprilia Shiver bar weights you may have a problem removing the handguards in the future, as the Aprilia weights do not have the off-set half circle on the inside end of the OEM bar end weight, as the Honda weights do. That off-set inside end of the Honda OEM bar ends secures the NC's inner bar weight when you tighten or untighten the bar end weights. It keeps the inner handlebar weight from spinning as your turn the bar end screw. So without the off-set half circle securing the inner weight you may not be able to loosen the bar end screw.:(

From the pics, they just don't seem big enough vertically to provide decent wind protection. This is coming from someone who wants wind protection to help boost the effect of my heated grips so that I don't have to bother with heated gloves. The gearing up time is dramatically different from a commuter's point of view. Bug and rock protection aren't even remotely considered in this equation because of gloves.

Concerning the crash protection, I just don't buy into that. If the bike is going down and you're still holding onto the bars, something isn't right with your reflexes.

The price (from some of the cheaper options that our more resourceful members have found) are really tempting. They just seem too insubstantial.

The above is my own opinion. Take it as it's meant: with a grain of salt. It's just my opinion and I'm not really a genius.

Are the people installing the Aprilia handguards on their NC700X using the NC700X OEM bar end weights, or using the weights that come with the Aprilia handguard kit?
I am thinking if you use the Aprilia Shiver bar weights you may have a problem removing the handguards in the future, as the Aprilia weights do not have the off-set half circle on the inside end of the OEM bar end weight, as the Honda weights do. That off-set inside end of the Honda OEM bar ends secures the NC's inner bar weight when you tighten or untighten the bar end weights. It keeps the inner handlebar weight from spinning as your turn the bar end screw. So without the off-set half circle securing the inner weight you may not be able to loosen the bar end screw.:(
Your original Honda bar end weights are used.

From the pics, they just don't seem big enough vertically to provide decent wind protection. This is coming from someone who wants wind protection to help boost the effect of my heated grips so that I don't have to bother with heated gloves. The gearing up time is dramatically different from a commuter's point of view. Bug and rock protection aren't even remotely considered in this equation because of gloves.

Concerning the crash protection, I just don't buy into that. If the bike is going down and you're still holding onto the bars, something isn't right with your reflexes.

The price (from some of the cheaper options that our more resourceful members have found) are really tempting. They just seem too insubstantial.

The above is my own opinion. Take it as it's meant: with a grain of salt. It's just my opinion and I'm not really a genius.

They will offer a certain amount of wind protection, but it won't be as much as a larger handguard. The original Spanish blog where I found these the chap did state they certainly helped him.
These guards are fitted to the Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 Supermotard which has around 95BHP. If the guards are good enough for the Dorsoduro, they're good enough for the NC.
The guards mounting points line up perfectly with the NC. If you have an S model DCT your choice of handguards are very limited because of the handbrake and narrower bars than the X. These guards are perfect for Dct models and are very easy to fit.

I probably should have weighted that statement more. I was speaking mostly in my preferences and I'm picky. These look very nice and they seem very well integrated. I'm certainly not above adapting other OEM accessories to a bike that it wasn't intended for. I adapted some VStrom hand guards to my last bike and that worked out fantastically. Actually, I'm surprised that no one has done that yet with this bike. Those are some really nice hand guards.

Has anyone ordered, received and installed the Aprilia handguards. You would think that winter would be a popular time to do this. I would sure like to see some photos of the guards mounted on the NCX, showing the length, width and depth of the guards in relation to the NC's bars, levers and shield. Curious about the actual hand coverage that these guards provide.

'Hi, well I had ordered them from powersportsparts4less.com and finally got an e-mail that they cancelled my order since:

Unfortunately, we are no longer able to sell Aprilia parts and accessories. We will refund your order in full, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank You,

Amy Kirk
Powersports Parts 4 Less
[email protected]'

So I will try out another merchant and keep you posted.

Those are sometimes really hard to unscrew. Like, I had to drill the head off one, once, on one of my old bikes. On page 2 of this thread, LBS posted a diagram of what's inside there, and I posted a large photo of the spring clip that holds it all in place:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/5458-little-issues-brand-new-2014-nc700x-dct-abs-2.html

Here is a site with photos that shows how it comes apart:

http://www.manicsalamander.com/media/5191/honda_6mm_damper_removal.pdf

If you can't get that screw loose, you could still pull the whole assembly out. Peel back the edges of your grips to expose the two small holes, and use a punch to push the spring clips tabs in. The whole thing will slide out with the bar end still attached.

Will not work on NT700X. I ordered a pair from the advice from this post. The bar end and the mirror mounts are off.
At best you would have to move your lever mounts in over a inch. Making the clutch and brake lever almost unusable.
After moving my lever mounts inward and mounting then thinking they might work they hit the windshield.

Cost me $127.00 with postage. Oh well.

Gerald

Back