• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A tip for Stop & Go plug kit users

mpgandfun

Reaction score
Visit site
The last plug I put in my rear tire was slowly losing pressure. I removed the plug and put another one in
with the same result. The air was escaping at the same point between the tire and plug each time (using the
soapy water test). I wondered if the reaming tool used to open the hole up, may leave some "jagged" bits of
rubber around the edges keeping the plug from getting a complete seal.

I removed the second plug and decided to test my theory. I used a blow torch to heat the pointed "probe" tool from the
kit, at the point where the taper ends. With the probe red hot, I inserted it into the hole for few
seconds and rolled the tool back and forth in between my thumb and index finger. The tire smoked and let off some
burnt rubber fumes.

I installed a new plug, aired the tire up to pressure and gave it the soap water test. No leak! :D

plug.jpg

Last edited:
That's great advice, though I hate to have to pack the torch on the next trip. Too bad there's not a way to insert in the engine's combustion chamber to heat it up.

Greg

I've not used the rubber plugs, but the cheap ole gummy string plugs, seem to not have this problem. But I have had one that did not hold pressure over a couple days time, but got me home without problems. You could carry both types easy enough.

Art

Are you saying the hole should be "smooth" around the edges to ensure a seal?

I thought jagged edges are better in gripping a glue in a hole?
:p

Are you saying the hole should be "smooth" around the edges to ensure a seal?

I thought jagged edges are better in gripping a glue in a hole?
:p

The Stop-N-Go tire plugs do not use glue.

Greg

Just a thought...the Stop and Go plugs are mushroom shaped. The idea is that they will seal against the inside surface of the tire, not against the sides of the puncture. Maybe once you install them you just need to give them a tug to seat them properly. I have a kit on my bike but thankfully haven't had to use it.

Just a thought...the Stop and Go plugs are mushroom shaped. The idea is that they will seal against the inside surface of the tire, not against the sides of the puncture. Maybe once you install them you just need to give them a tug to seat them properly. I have a kit on my bike but thankfully haven't had to use it.

As the directions say, I pulled on the end of the plug and stretched it to about an inch long. Pulling on the plug with my needle nose pliers, I make small circular motions to try to get the best seal against the inside of the tire wall. The leak showed up in the same place again, making me think it has to do with the smoothness of the puncture.

When using the reaming tool, if you move it slowly (when pulling it out) you can see bits of rubber clinging to the wall of the puncture that don't get removed by the action of the tool. I think these might be the culprit. OR, maybe the puncture wasn't caused by a circular object (e.g. nail) but something that left more of a slit instead of a round hole. With a round plug in a linear puncture, it seems like there's room for air to pass by the plug at the ends of the cut. Its hard to say for sure, but my melt method did the trick in this case.

I have put a plug in a different tire following the directions, without any leaks.

Last edited:
I usually carry both kinds, however, the Stop-n-go plugs have failed me more frequently than the gummy worms. Add to that, the Stop-n-go insertion tool is big and heavy compared to what it takes to push in a gummy worm. Going forward, I plan to leave the Stop-n-go at home.

I usually carry both kinds, however, the Stop-n-go plugs have failed me more frequently than the gummy worms. Add to that, the Stop-n-go insertion tool is big and heavy compared to what it takes to push in a gummy worm. Going forward, I plan to leave the Stop-n-go at home.

I've also noted seemingly more than a few mentions by people that they had a mushroom plug style repair start leaking again, or fail to do the job in the first place.

Since I've never had the tiniest hint of a problem, let alone a failure with any tire I've repaired in all my years and miles ridden using the good 'ol gummy worm method, I'm going with: if it's not broken, don't fix it, and not change or go to some iffy alternate way to do a simple puncture repair.

Every tire I've string plug repaired, be it brand spanking new, or nearing it's useful end of days, I have happily ridden on right to the point of treadwear depletion, without a second thought.

I admit I've always been curious as to why, if the string plugs have shown me they are perfectly adequate, with a 100% successful track record, is there an "answer to a question not asked", as it were. There are extremely few things I deal with day to day, that have had a zero failure rate, over the course of 40+ years dealing with...

Well jeez, that's just great. I'm waiting for my stop and go pump/plug kit to arrive today or tomorrow so I can fix my flat. I'm so looking forward to riding after three weeks off and now i'm not so looking forward to a non-dependable plug fix. Oh well.

Well jeez, that's just great. I'm waiting for my stop and go pump/plug kit to arrive today or tomorrow so I can fix my flat. I'm so looking forward to riding after three weeks off and now i'm not so looking forward to a non-dependable plug fix. Oh well.

Lol don't let it get you down, mate. For every one of me that's never had a string plug repair failure, there are probably a dozen guys that have had nothing but bad luck, and curse the day they ever used one, heehee.

Things are just perverse that way sometimes...

I've had plenty of bad luck with the stringy glue plugs but the one time I did use the StopNGo it worked fine and never leaked. Guess luck can go either way.

Greg

Back