• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

ABS & DCT Question

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've read that the ABS for the rear wheel on the new Africa Twin can be turned off and I know that's not true of the NC or the other bikes in the NC class like the new X-ADV. My question is what happens to the ABS for the rear wheel if the ABS sensor ring gets covered in mud or blue painter's tape and how that might affect the operation of the DCT and the rear brake? I can't (and probably wouldn't) check myself as it is two below zero now and headed for five below by 0800.

The ABS indicator will blink in the instrument panel and ABS will not work.
Not sure if both would be disabled on the Africa Twin, since as you know the rear can be disabled.
But on the NC, I would think both would be disabled.
good news is, you can still ride the bike.

The CDI unit would go nuts!!!
With the Atwin, all is fine, except the Traction Control is out with the ABS- perfect for going offroad.
The default settings will get you every time offroad; no power when you need it most.
I may look into this tape 'hack'.

tape and mud should not pose any real problem if the hall sensor's embedded magnet is OK in health (strength) - I guess there is a small rod magnet providing the field and a sensor glued one end - as the metal holes pass by they disrupt the field and this disruption is what the (usually dual hall cell) sensor "sees" and sends pulses

tape and mud should not pose any real problem if the hall sensor's embedded magnet is OK in health (strength) - I guess there is a small rod magnet providing the field and a sensor glued one end - as the metal holes pass by they disrupt the field and this disruption is what the (usually dual hall cell) sensor "sees" and sends pulses
good points.
the sensor picks up the pulses of the pulsar ring
and masking the holes by tape alone may not affect the pulses much.

Back