• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

African Twin

Please stop! I am trying to get rid of bikes not add another one. It sure looks good on OCR. AND IT IS $3000 CHEAPER THAN THE VFR1200X.

It looks like you're flat footing it, at least on the right side. It also looks like it might be raised up a little by the front stand.

What is your inseam and how does the seat height compare to the NC?

Yes, I am flat footing the Africa Twin on both sides. Seat is set low in the 33.5 inch setting. Seat can also be set high at 34.5 inch. Also, Honda offers a low seat that is 32.5 inch. The front wheel is on an incline at the show, so that raises the height of the front wheel about 1/4 inch. The tank is very narrow at the rear, so even with my 28 inch inseam my feet touch the ground on both sides. Surprised me!

Last edited:
It probably settles a little more on the long stroke soft suspension than our NCs do so even though it's specification low seat height of 33.5" is .8" higher than the NC700X it's not taller with weight on it.

It probably settles a little more on the long stroke soft suspension than our NCs do so even though it's specification low seat height of 33.5" is .8" higher than the NC700X it's not taller with weight on it.

You are correct about the settling, that fooled me. The handlebars are wider than the NC's, and the front turns further to the stops. The taller honda windshield is polycarbonate. The DCT tranmission is a slight more advanced than the NC's. You and Fuzzy have me sold on the DCT transmission, no matter which bike I get next. They did not have the 2016 NC at the Dallas show. They did have a 2015 NC. The center stand for the Africa Twin sits up a few inches taller than on the NC. The front honda light bar on the Africa Twin is made of a larger ID pipe than on the NC.

Africa Twin 001.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I am flat footing the Africa Twin on both sides. Seat is set low in the 33.5 inch setting. Seat can also be set high at 34.5 inch. Also, Honda offers a low seat that is 32.5 inch. The front wheel is on an incline at the show, so that raises the height of the front wheel about 1/4 inch. The tank is very narrow at the rear, so even with my 28 inch my feet touch the ground on both sides. Surprised me!

Well, there goes that reason to not buy this bike. As dduelin alluded to, the suspension must really compress a lot to be able to flat foot with a 28" inseam. That is surprising. I have a 32" inseam so I guess I have no excuses now.

Here is an interesting review by Yar D Blah in the UK. it's a little long but the guy is funny and you might say he is a bit smitten by the bike...and it's a DCT.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KexKW7gP0ow

I'm curious of how everyone feels about the tube tires. All my dirt bikes have tube type, but I haven't owned a street bike with tubes in years. I've rode many dirt bikes out of the woods, with a flat, and back to the trailer. I've plugged many of the tubeless tires long enough to get me in. Since I don't change my own tires, would a flat just mean it's time to call for help?

Yes, I am flat footing the Africa Twin on both sides. Seat is set low in the 33.5 inch setting. Seat can also be set high at 34.5 inch. Also, Honda offers a low seat that is 32.5 inch. The front wheel is on an incline at the show, so that raises the height of the front wheel about 1/4 inch. The tank is very narrow at the rear, so even with my 28 inch inseam my feet touch the ground on both sides. Surprised me!

30 inch inseam here and that is NOT good news.:p

My thoughts......On a light weight dirt or DS bike tube makes sense. You can run low pressure and the tube keeps the tire on the rim. On a 400+ lb bike, you aren't going to run below ~20psi or you greatly increase the likelihood of rim damage. Keep in mind that a heavier bike will flatten the tire out at high pressure than a lighter bike. a 250lb bike at 10psi will probably have the similar tire deflection as a 500lb bike at 20psi.
As for repairs, plugging a tubeless is way easier and faster than dealing with a tube and most punctures you get are pluggable. Of course you can get a puncture that is too big to plug and having a tube would let you get out. If you run tubeless you can always carry a tube for such an occasion.

Tire selection is another consideration. There is a better selection of off-road tires for tube type plus you can run a tube in tire that is approved for tubeless use.

I'm curious of how everyone feels about the tube tires. All my dirt bikes have tube type, but I haven't owned a street bike with tubes in years. I've rode many dirt bikes out of the woods, with a flat, and back to the trailer. I've plugged many of the tubeless tires long enough to get me in. Since I don't change my own tires, would a flat just mean it's time to call for help?

I had a 950KTM Adventure with Tube tyres. They can be a nuisance if the puncture is severe enough. I always carried a puncture repair kit and tyre levers just in case. I also carried a can of foam which will work if the puncture is not severe. I found that the biggest problem is getting the tyre bead off the rim and getting the bike up on the centrestand when the rear tyre is flat. I must admit I much prefer tubeless.

The spoked rims are much stronger than cast rims. You are more likely to damage the cast tubeless rims in any serious off road riding. As mentioned on the heavier bike you will run higher pressures but with similar effect as lower pressures on a lighter bike. Unfortunately the tubed tire is the price you pay for good off road performance and longevity of the wheels. It is also much cheaper to replace just the rim and have laced up to your hub. The VFR1200X has spoked tubeless rims but only a 19" front and the bike is heavier. It all comes down to what you are going to use the bike for. If you are just going to use the bike for forest roads and ride mostly pavement the AFT my not be the best pick.

The one thing I did learn with tubed tires is not to use any puncture repair fluids in the tube. It is not fun if you have a rip in a tube and have to replace the tube and your wheel is a mess from the sticky sealant. The already unpleasant task of pulling the wheel to replace the tube is even more unpleasant. I have had to fix three flats on the bike in the same day. It is not that hard to do but it does take some time. It is easy to fall prey to the marketing. I am easily enticed by a big bore off road capable motorcycle. But after careful consideration the NC fits the kind of riding I plan on doing.

With that said, I still drool a little bit when I see a bike like the AFT.

Last edited:
The "tube type or tubless" and "the spoke or mag" discussion has and will go on for years. You can have the best both worlds with the spoked tubless rims. The BMW F1200GS have these rims, but the cost is high.

Tubless gets better mileage because the friction caused by the tube increases the heat factor, so less miles per tire. I have put many a mile on tube tires, because when I stated riding there were no tubless tires. I would carry two tubes for each tire, because tire tools do pinch tubes. Nothing like doing the job twice. Like Bamamate said, "A lot easier task in just putting in a plug".

Last edited:
The "tube type or tubless" and "the spoke or mag" discussion has and will go on for years. You can have the best both worlds with the spoked tubless rims. The BMW F1200GS have these rims, but the cost is high.

Tubless gets better milage because the friction caused by the tube increases the heat factor, so less miles per tire. I have put many a mile on tube tires, because when I stated riding there were no tubless tires. I would carry two tubes for each tire, because tire tools do pinch tubes. Nothing like doing the job twice. Like Bamamate said, "A lot easier task in just putting in a plug".

Well, BMW R1200GS doesn't have 21" front tyre too, it has 19". VFR1200X has 19" front spoked tubeless. KTM 1190 Adv R has 21" tubeless.

I do like tube tires for off road as I run 12 and 14 pounds in them. I expect for most, the AT won't see a lot of hard off road. Most, not all, will be on pavement and fire roads or assorted dirt roads. That being the case not much use in lowering the air pressure much if any. Like has been said, I rode many miles years ago with tube tires, and now tubeless have ruined me when it comes to flats. I'm not much of a do it yourself type guy anymore, especially on the side of the road. I like the tubeless spoke rims for the AT, if that was an option. I do think the AT is an awesome bike and I guess the tubeless spoke wheels could be an option for enough money.

Will the Africa Twin be much more expensive than the NCX to live with? I'm considering the Africa Twin as a replacement for my NCX road only commuter but I'm not sure what I'm loosing and gaining besides a better looking bike and stronger engine...better seat...

Last edited:
Will the Africa Twin be much more expensive than the NCX to live with? I'm considering the Africa Twin as a replacement for my NCX road only commuter but I'm not sure what I'm loosing and gaining besides a better looking bike and stronger engine...better seat...

The Africa Twin predominant features are more off road motorcycle. The NC7 predominant features are more on road commutor motorcycle. However, both bikes are do it all, just at different levels. Each has it's plus and minus doing different things.

Looks like US dealers can began ordering bikes on Feb 1, 2016 for May deliveries.

Dave is completly correct 100%. Finally got to talk to an old friend who has been in the hospital. This friend owns a honda dealership. Honda is only letting the USA dealerships order only one time this year for the 2016 Africa Twin. Also the Africa Twin will not be in the USA until May. The USA dealerships have no information yet as to accessories.

Dave is completly correct 100%. Finally got to talk to an old friend who has been in the hospital. This friend owns a honda dealership. Honda is only letting the USA dealerships order only one time this year for the 2016 Africa Twin. Also the Africa Twin will not be in the USA until May. The USA dealerships have no information yet as to accessories.
My local dealer says 1st of april for delivery, also told me he will order a manual and dct, I am anxious to test ride!

I've seen this one yesterday:
20160206_132315.jpg
I talked with the salesman from whom I bought the NC and he made me a fair price for the NC in exchange for the AT....Honestly, I can afford it but I'm not done with the NC. I like it too much and I can do all I want to do with a bike for now...

This said, the AT is a really nice bike to own I'm sure.
The firsts delivery in Canada will be by the end of april/beginning of may.

Attachments

• 20160206_132305.jpg
    20160206_132305.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 203
Back