• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aftermarket 12v adapter

macguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked before but I am new to the forum and the bike and I couldn't find much when I searched. Has anyone installed an aftermarket 12v accessory plug on the NC700? I would really like one but have a tough time paying the high price of the OEM version. There are many listed on ebay and Amazon for really cheap prices but not being a person that has dabbled in any type of electrical work before I'm just not sure if it will work or not. Can I just plug it directly to the battery or do I need a relay? From the research I have done the relay prevents unwanted battery drain but is that going to be a problem if I unplug the accessory when I shut down the bike? Any help is really appreciated!

I've always used Powerlet brand 12v sockets, wired to a relay so they only work with key ON. It is used most often with my heated jacket.

I used the cheap adapter from amazon [HERE]. That is connected to an SAE cable [HERE] that connects directly to the battery.

Surfacing the SAE connector inside the Frunk (drill a hole in the plate that screws off) allows me to connect all sorts of things.... including the car port adapter you're considering.
EX: connecting the battery tender is now a breeze.

Thanks guys, so can I follow these directions Agent but use an aftermarket adapter? What type of relay would I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, so can I follow these directions Agent but use an aftermarket adapter? What type of relay would I need?

I don't use a relay. The SAE is connected to the battery ALL the time and HOT all the time even with the key is off.

Just be careful and don't leave anything connected to it that draws power or it will drain your battery.

I don't use a relay. The SAE is connected to the battery ALL the time and HOT all the time even with the key is off.

Just be careful and don't leave anything connected to it that draws power or it will drain your battery.

Perfect, thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be sure to use an appropriate fuse for the socket's rating in the positive wire near the battery. If you get a decent outlet and wire/fuse it correctly, you should be able to run an emergency tire pump compressor off the outlet. That's something the Honda OEM 12 volt jack could never do because of its 1 amp limitation.

Back