• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Almost ready but.....

snoman32

Reaction score
Visit site
Been lurking for a while, finally joined up and I need some guidance.
Coming off a few different sport bikes - triumph STR, a couple CBR's - and a couple dual sports - KTM 525 EXC - and my current ride a 2007 Husky te610....which I love!

So the NC has really caught my interest as a possible do all rig.
I commute on the husky 4 to 5 days a week - 55 miles round trip- with a set of street wheels and do local fire road and ohv stuff on the weekends with DOT knobbies on the stock wheelset.
My big question since I have not been able to test ride the NC yet is what is the "power" like? I keep reading about the 6500 rev limiter which the Husky also has so I'm quite used to quick shifts to moderate the rpms.
I'm almost thinking the bikes might be comparable power wise?
The Husky might have more punch but not sure.
Anyhow, anyone ride a big thumper in the past that now rides the NC?
I need some help lol!
And yes I would possible "scramble" my NC up for some Big Bear and Borego Springs dirt time!
Thanks in advance everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS site says

2013 Honda NC700X 0-60 mph 4.9 Quarter Mile 13.9

There are a lot of other motorcycles to compare it to there. The NC700x a solid ride. It's NOT speed bike.
My best advice is to avoid it if you want a "crotch rocket" (as they say).

The Husky has a few more hp ( 54 to 51 ), and a bit less torque ( 38.4 @ 6500 rpm ) to ( 46 @ 4750 rpm ) , but the NC is 520 lbs, the Husky is 308 lbs. That's a lot of extra weight off road.

You might not think we're biased for the NC, but you'd be wrong. We just don't want to build it up for you to be let down.
We love these "do all" bikes.
You should see if you could take a test ride.

You might not think we're biased for the NC, but you'd be wrong. We just don't want to build it up for you to be let down.
We love these "do all" bikes.
You should see if you could take a test ride.

Well said! Indeed, I would have no other. I never take it off road, so it functions as a long distance cruiser for me.
It's exactly what I hoped it would be!... and I don't say that about too many things.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!
I do keep a true Moto in the stable for all dirt sessions but really like the way the NC looks with some knobs:) and of course love the Honda reliability.
And I'm not into the speed game anymore...to often...the husky as a commuter has kept me pretty happy and keeps me out of trouble lol
Called around the OC area here and nobody has one as a demo unfortunately so I will keep doing my research and hopefully get it sorted out.
As far as the bike on the road, I'm guessing by reviews etc that as long as you "short" shift like riding a dirt bike on the road it'll give you some pop on the street for some fun too!

I have had mine since June of this year and put about 5k miles on it so far, including one ~ 1800 mile road trip. this has turned into my "go to" bike for just about everything. My Guzzi's have collected dust this summer and I have only recently rediscovered them (kinda like gettng new bikes)!
Regarding power, it's not a fast bike that you can go fast on. If you're used to short shifting you're ahead of the game because when you hit that rev limiter it's like the eath stops spinning as well as the engine. I was out a couple of weeks ago with a few "go fast types" and it really was the first time I wished I was on the Goose instead of the NC, at least initially. When we first pulled away from the breakfast joint and the air was filled with the music of Italian twins and Triumph triples screaming, I felt like I was on a sewing machine. I did not have the launch that the big twins and trips had and that was a bit of a blow to my ego:cool: However, once we got a few miles into the ride I fell back in love with the bike. the NC is a solid performer and when you get past the need to boost an ego or for bragging rights, etc. I feel it's one of the best real world bikes out there today.

Oh, and the most important thing about this bike, I like looking at it! I have to be able to enjoy sitting in my clubhouse and ogle my bikes overa coffee or nice micro brew.
What can I say, I'm a dork!

Good luck with your quest!

Last edited:
Honda intentionwas to build a commuter bike with the NC700

they have achieve that. 70 mpg, storage to carry your lunch, the seat is comfortable for about 45 minutes, the exhaust is quiet, and rev to 6.5k. - this is comparable to driving a honda civic - commuter car.

is no rocket. there is many other bike for that.

how fast will be depend on how good you shift and your weight as a rider and the stuff you have to carry.

new seat is a must...i would say. $350 for the Sargent seat for me, but the "seat concepts" seats get good reviews too.

This a typo? Did you mean 4 or 5 minutes?

Agree with everything else you said.

He really could mean 45mins. I am in the saddle for an hour 2x/day on work days and the seat doesn't bother me. Of course, I came off a DR650 so my rear may have to be recalibrated. :)

I'm thinking with the lower center of gravity it could handle some dirt duty and the proper tires always help:)

Still a lot of weight for an off-road bike, but isn't the NC700X only around 470 wet?

It's a great off road bike... as long as you never have to lift it out of a ditch by yourself....

seriously, the design, and especially the 17" rims, make me believe that it was meant to go on groomed dirt roads.. and ONLY if you have the right tires on it...

It's not the kind of bike I used to go crazy with at age 13... jumping over things, flying off small embankments... not that kind of off road.

Last edited:
new seat is a must...i would say. $350 for the Sargent seat for me, but the "seat concepts" seats get good reviews too.

I don't know Strats. I just lifted the front of mine an inch. It's fine for me. I did almost 700 miles on it one day. I'm not saying it was a comfortable day, but the way some people report, you'd think the seat was made of briars. Maybe my skinny butt just don't care - I don't know....

Coming off a few different sport bikes - triumph STR, a couple CBR's - and a couple dual sports - KTM 525 EXC - and my current ride a 2007 Husky te610....which I love!

I know nothing about your current daily ride but we do have one thing in common. The CBR's. I traded a CBR for the NCX. First off, I like the bike. I bought the bike in May 2013 and have just under 19K miles. 99 percent of that is commuting through Little Rock traffic. I ride year round. The NCX is underpowered for my liking BUT it does so many other things right it is hard not to like. Storage is a huge plus. I ride through the winter and I need places to store gear. The two panniers with topbox offer plenty of space for a heavy suit and helmet. That isn’t taking in to account the frunk. I use it for all kinds of odds and ends. It is one of the reasons I really like the bike. The convenience of having that storage area will be something hard to give up if I ever decide to replace this bike. The fuel economy is great. I did not buy the bike for this reason but it is a major plus. I was amazed at the fuel economy in the beginning since I drove a jeep wrangler fitted with a supercharger and 35” tires. The savings in fuel was great. I spend around $13 a week on fuel and I have a 30 minute commute one way. Can't beat that. I mentioned riding in Little Rock. I deal with a lot of heavy traffic and much of it is semi-trucks. The NCX is very maneuverable. Things get a little choppy around big trucks but that happens on all bikes. I would not consider it as maneuverable as my previous bikes but it does very well. People on this forum use this bike for different purposes but I think Honda just about nailed it with building a mid sized commuter bike. My only complaint would be the lack of power. A few more horses would be nice. It is a great bike outside that. IMHO.

I commute on the husky 4 to 5 days a week - 55 miles round trip- with a set of street wheels and do local fire road and ohv stuff on the weekends with DOT knobbies on the stock wheelset.
My big question since I have not been able to test ride the NC yet is what is the "power" like? I keep reading about the 6500 rev limiter which the Husky also has so I'm quite used to quick shifts to moderate the rpms.
I need some help lol!
And yes I would possible "scramble" my NC up for some Big Bear and Borego Springs dirt time!

I've had two Husky SM610's, so I'm familiar with the motor you're used to.

In short, the Honda will feel significantly slower, but will still have some low end to get you where you need to go. The biggest difference is the bike will ride very "vanilla," or "mundane." I don't mean it as a bad thing, I just mean compared to our Huskies, it doesn't have the "personality" or "excitement" built in to the bike... sure, you can ride it however you want, but just going from a feeling standpoint you'll notice that.

Basically, Honda developed the bike to be fast enough to get you up to 70mph relatively quickly, and efficient enough to get 60+ MPG with relative ease... and to let you ride it, comfortably, without having to think too much. In short, a commuter bike. Comparing it to your Husky is like comparing Apples to Oranges, IMO.

I need some help lol!

Here is a previous post of mine comparing the NC700 to a previously owned BMW G650gs (big thumper):
I traded in my 2009 bmw g650gs for the nc700x., but I had 36,000 miles on mine-got tired of listening to a single. yes, it does have a 1000rpm higher rev limiter but fyi, anything above 2nd gear runs 1000rpms higher than the nc700x, so it is a wash; 4000rpms on the Honda in 6th gear=75mph-on the g650gs, 75mph is somewhere between 5500 and 6000rpms in 5th gear-there is no 6th gear= I hit the rev limiter once on the bmw (80mph in 4th) and have not hit the rev limiter on the honda. To me, both bikes have the same top end, but I think the Honda is faster off the line and accelerates from 70-90mph faster. my g650gs was also black.
Just some hints with the g650gs, with oil changes-all that front plastic has to come off-unless you find a way to siphon the oil out of the oil cooler. all the plastic has to come off for valve checks-every 6000 miles-and bucket/shims and the shims are $$$. In my opinion, the seat on the bmw was even worse than the Honda-more slant but corbin makes a great seat for the bmw-and the seat isn't bolted on-there is a latch under the small rear storage compartment. note-the bmw does not like creek crossings with tourance tires.

I've had two Husky SM610's, so I'm familiar with the motor you're used to.

In short, the Honda will feel significantly slower, but will still have some low end to get you where you need to go. The biggest difference is the bike will ride very "vanilla," or "mundane." I don't mean it as a bad thing, I just mean compared to our Huskies, it doesn't have the "personality" or "excitement" built in to the bike... sure, you can ride it however you want, but just going from a feeling standpoint you'll notice that.

Basically, Honda developed the bike to be fast enough to get you up to 70mph relatively quickly, and efficient enough to get 60+ MPG with relative ease... and to let you ride it, comfortably, without having to think too much. In short, a commuter bike. Comparing it to your Husky is like comparing Apples to Oranges, IMO.

I was kinda guessing it would be a apples to oranges thing as the husky does have a fun personality but the more I commute with it, especially in socal traffic, I realize I'm out of mph around 75 before it starts shaking apart lol! Up until then the 610 is and has always been a blast and the gearing/shifting seems similar to the NC.
I'm out of first by 15-20 mph and usually in 4th by the mid 40's...
I love the simplicity of the single cylinder but like the post above from the guy with BMW, the vibration does get tiresome but I'm totally used to it.
I like doing my own maintenance and the Honda seems pretty straightforward for that too.
I'm really enjoying the posts and web articles about riders that are rocking the NC everywhere with a proper skid plate and some DOT knobbies...that's a plan I want to do and it's reassuring to read the bike rides in those conditions like a big thumper.
My biggest hang up might be what it really feels/rides like in city street and freeway applications....still calling around to Honda dealers locally to see if anyone has a demo I could take out and run through the gears..

Where in socal are you? My old dealer in el cajon did test rides, and I was offered one by huntington beach (i think... Was on the way home from the long beach motorcycle show ). That was a couple years ago, and there's also the possibility that i would be offered a test ride you wouldn't, depending on your age and general appearance combined with the mood of the salesperson. There's also a chance honda will have NCs to demo ride at the show on long beach next month. If all else fails and you're in my area, I'm not opposed to letting my riding buddies take mine for a spin, but of course that would be the most time consuming option of the bunch.

Back