• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another Lesson Learned

D

danrev

As I get into this motorcycle riding thing it seems there are always lessons to learn. Today I went for a ride. I stopped for gas before starting out and after filling up I couldn't get the NC started. Turned the key, hit the starter button and nothing. Turned the key off then back on and still nothing. Since the Honda place was only a little more than a quarter mile away decided to push the bike over. It's heavy. Got to the dealer, went into the service department and told them the bike wouldn't start. Just then the mechanic stepped in and I told him my predicament. First thing he said was, "Did you check the kill switch?" Did I feel dumb!!! I confessed my ignorance. No I hadn't even thought of that. Walked out to the bike and sure enough it was only slightly askew, but evidently just enough to keep the engine from starting. Reset the switch and all's well. Ended up having a nice ride and learned a good lesson as well.

If everyone is completely honest, we have ALL done this before, even just for a few seconds of panic. Don't feel bad about it. It will never happen to you again I'll wager!

The Norwegians just say "uf da" and move on from this kind of stuff and them are the Vikings talking there so its all good.

Oh yeah, I did that, but got lucky and figured it out before a dealer visit. If you hit the switch by accident then you have no reason to think that's the problem UNTIL it's happened to you the first time. I'm pretty sure that one has happened most riders. Also sat in my driveway for ten minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't put it the DCT into gear. Discovered the kickstand was down as I was getting off to go call the dealer about it. I'm still unexpectedly killing my bike every so often by dropping the kickstand while in D. Not a big deal, but I've been trying to remember to put it in N before I kill the bike.

My CBR is worse as it will crank with the switch set to kill.

Oh that would suck. I would take a while to figure that out.

Hey it happens. We've all had senior moments. Sometime when we are around a campfire I will tell you about dropping my ST on both sides in 30 seconds. That was a hoot!
Mike

Here's a different twist on the theme: I was trying to adjust my glove while doing about 75 mph in the hammer lane on the freeway and accidentally (and unknowingly) brushed the kill switch in the process! Imagine my concern as I had to quickly merge over through 3 lanes between traffic to get to the right shoulder since there was almost no left shoulder when it happened! Doh!

My CBR is worse as it will crank with the switch set to kill.

My Nighthawk was the same. One night, after work, I went to the bike to head home. I crank the starter and nothing happened. Oh, it was also 20* F out, so the battery didn't last long. I tried to bump start it after the battery died...still no go. Then I realized that the switch was off. DOH! The next try at bump starting it, it fired right up. That was embarrassing...

My Nighthawk was the same. One night, after work, I went to the bike to head home. I crank the starter and nothing happened. Oh, it was also 20* F out, so the battery didn't last long. I tried to bump start it after the battery died...still no go. Then I realized that the switch was off. DOH! The next try at bump starting it, it fired right up. That was embarrassing...

Now that the subject comes up, I can't help but wonder if this poor guy I saw in Tokyo about to give himself an aneurysm kick-starting his SR400 didn't have the kill switch in the wrong position. He was going at it like mad for quite a long time.

An Admirable Trait by mike cash, on Flickr

I'm too nice to do it, but I want to see someone flick the kill switch on all the Harley's at our local biker bar. And then video it for YouTube awesomeness!

I've done this too. And yes panic sets in. Had my girlfriends sister call me up panicking and crying as she was at the gas station miles from home and she couldn't get her scooter to start. Told her check the kill switch. Seconds later I hear it start up. And then the profanity and thank yous come. Still tease her once in a while about it.

Yep, happened to me as well just at the time i thought I became an experienced 2-wheeler. Almost starting disassembling the poor thing but luckily called a friend who had a same type of scooter as I did, and his first hint was a kill switch.
Idle time 30min :)
Until I read this post it became a memory but happy i read it as it is good to be reminded about the lessons learned

Sorry danrev, not to hijack the post, but I think we also need to hear about Bug Dr's double drop in 30 seconds.

(also, it's false to assume you will never make this mistake again. give it a few years)

I hit the trifecta on my second day with the bike...
I mounted my bike as a group of riders I had met up with stood around checking out the bike and seeing me off. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the bike to start. Took me a few before someone suggested the kill switch. Strike one.
I get the bike started, and then go back it up but it is heavy as hell. Turns out, I fought the parking brake for longer than any intelligent man should that day. Once again, it was pointed out by on of the other riders. Strike two.
I finally have the bike started, backed up, and start explaining to everyone the DCT setup. Only thing is, I can't get the bike to go into gear. Once again, someone steps up and suggests that I raise the kickstand... Strike three.

The good thing is that it was humiliating enough to be unforgettable, so I don't think I have to worry about a repeat performance.

I always shut down the bike using the kill switch so I've gotten into the habit of remembering to turn it back on. If I hardly used the kill switch I'd forget it every other day. I've gotten beaten by the kick stand on occasion though. I'll drop in to 1st out of N and the damn thing will shut off on me. Embarrassing for sure.

When I bought my CBR I swung by my parents house to show it off on the way home. My bike was still on the back of my truck and my step dad was looking it over. After I was bragging how it fired right up no problem he wanted to hear it. So when I went to start it, it just cranked and cranked. After a few embarrassing moments I saw the kill switch in the wrong position. After a quick flip the bike fired right up.

Side learning experience in regards to maintenance on my cb. Was messing around to get my right cylinder in proper tune without luck. (side story) Anyways, after messing around for a while, I got frustrated. I reqched up to shut off the bike and went to stand up. After sitting on the floor, I was a bit stiff so braced self on the bike.... Right on the exhaust downpipe...

Yep...done that too....and the other night i got off work (3pm to 3am shift), half brain dead. Fired up the ride put it in gear...clunk...dead....repeated 3 times before i put up the damned stand....duh.

Back