• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any Difference Between Models

The different S modes are chosen by repeatedly pressing the N/D switch. D, S1, S2, S3, then D again, S1, and so on.

I understood it differently. Under acceleration repeatedly hitting the N/D button would go D, S3, D, S3, D, S3 . . .

To switch the sport mode from, lets say, 3 to 1 or 2 you need to completely close the throttle (let off the gas) while in D and then repeatedly hit the N/D switch where it would now go from D to S3, S1, S2, S3, S1, S2 . . . all the while you are slowing down and not watching the road, It might be best to decide on which sport mode is for you and set it while stopped somewhere.

I do see a difference between D and S modes, however it is not a huge difference, in my opinion there is even less difference between S1 S2 and S3 I mean I can't tell the difference between the 3.

Something to think about, if you were stopped and went full throttle it would not make any difference, performance wise, if you were in D S1 S2 or S3 as the bike would make the red line and switch to the next higher gear just the same in any of the modes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the DCT but I simply use D mode. On occasion I'll hit the auto/manual trigger, paddle down, do what needs to be done then hit the auto/manual trigger again and let the computer put me back in sixth.

What I don't like about manual mode is that you can forget you are in it, stop at an intersection and when you take off it just stays in first, more than once I've bogged out at the red line governor because of this.

Sumo,
For certain things you don't have to switch out of "D". Say you want to shift down on a hill you just hit the down button and it does it. When you apply throttle it goes back into "D" without you having to remember. However, because you are not in control of the clutch, the downshifts can be abrupt so you have to be ready.

Is your new 2015 NC700 DCT black? If so, I have exactly the same model! I've put over 6,000 miles on mine in just about a year (my purchase anniversary is tomorrow or the next day.) I wouldn't say that the DCT reads my mind or anything, but it does seem to hold the lower gear a little longer in the "S" mode than it did when I first got it. Maybe I'm just revving it higher... Regardless, it's a great bike and I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely. Just be ready to spend some additional dollars on farkles as you work to customize it to your needs.

I understood it differently. Under acceleration repeatedly hitting the N/D button would go D, S3, D, S3, D, S3 . . .

To switch the sport mode from, lets say, 3 to 1 or 2 you need to completely close the throttle (let off the gas) while in D and then repeatedly hit the N/D switch where it would now go from D to S3, S1, S2, S3, S1, S2 . . . all the while you are slowing down and not watching the road, It might be best to decide on which sport mode is for you and set it while stopped somewhere.

I do see a difference between D and S modes, however it is not a huge difference, in my opinion there is even less difference between S1 S2 and S3 I mean I can't tell the difference between the 3.

Something to think about, if you were stopped and went full throttle it would not make any difference, performance wise, if you were in D S1 S2 or S3 as the bike would make the red line and switch to the next higher gear just the same in any of the modes.

Im trying to find some info on the extra sport modes and can't seem to do it. When you change the sport modes how do you know which mode you're in does it say S1 or S2 on the display? I'm going to drive one tomm and would like to see if it has the feature - did someone say it was a 2015 models that had it?

Thanks

Thanks

Hey Guys,

I did find this review Is the extra Sport modes only on the 2016 - or did it start on 2015?

Attachments

• 2016.jpg
    2016.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 140
The three S modes appeared on 2016 models. It's the first model refresh after the first gen NC700X 2012 to 2015 models.

Because it's a less sophisticated version of the third generation DCT (in that it is lacking traction control and rider-selected clutch slip characteristics of the Africa Twin) the 2016 NC700X does not have the extra button on the left switch pod to toggle between selections. Therefore, the D/N switch on a 2016 700/750 operates similar to the earlier models. At idle, pressing the D button selects Drive, another press selects S1, another press is S2, then S3, then back to Drive. I've not ridden one so I might have the sequence reversed - D, S3, S2, S1, D, - whatever the sequence is, it's a closed loop sequence of selections. The selected mode appears on the instrument pod where the gear indicator is. Coming off a 2012 to 2015 DCT bike the operation should be intuitive.

The 2015 DCT has S mode, in my opinion the added S2 and S3 on the 2016 are no big deal, if they were somehow taken away from me I would never miss them.

FYI - This from the 2016 owners manual:
1.jpg

I would like the upgraded engine most of the rest of the world has gotten, I don't have the DCT. I also hear the newer version has a slightly better seat. And the rails on the frunk are cool for a tank bag

The 2015 DCT has S mode, in my opinion the added S2 and S3 on the 2016 are no big deal, if they were somehow taken away from me I would never miss them.

FYI - This from the 2016 owners manual:
View attachment 30972

Thanks so much for the info - as you mentioned its not a big deal - My finding is I would not want the Sport mode to hold gears any longer than it already does. If i needed it to hold longer, i would always have the option of manual shift.

Thanks - Mike

I discovered something wierd about the 2016 NC700X DCT today (demo ride). I think the bike was in S2 mode. Speed was about 43-45 mph. Bike was in fifth gear by it's own choice. I hit the shift-up button repeatedly and it refused to shift up to sixth. Now, that speed in sixth would have kept the bike above 2000 RPM, so it should have been allowed. The only way out of the trap was to bail out of S and go to D mode or manual.

I thought the 2012-2015 would always allow an override shift as long as the gear requested kept the RPM between 2000 and redline. Things are different now.

I'm thinking that since you were in Sport mode and not manual the processor would not allow an upshift due to the speed being too low for the mode.

Hi Idleup!
We met today, at 2Wheels of Suches.
First time I saw the NM4 or lesser known NC700JD (found that out today :)

The additional sport modes have been programmed only for the 3rd generation DCT.
Those are mostly 2016 models: NC, VFR and Africa Twin
Once you choose a sport mode, it selects that sport mode when you toggle between D
even when you turn bike off.

Thanks so much for the info - as you mentioned its not a big deal - My finding is I would not want the Sport mode to hold gears any longer than it already does. If i needed it to hold longer, i would always have the option of manual shift.

Thanks - Mike

Hi Idleup!
We met today, at 2Wheels of Suches.
First time I saw the NM4 or lesser known NC700JD (found that out today :)

The additional sport modes have been programmed only for the 3rd generation DCT.
Those are mostly 2016 models: NC, VFR and Africa Twin
Once you choose a sport mode, it selects that sport mode when you toggle between D
even when you turn bike off.

Hey Mike great chatting with you over at the meet - you got a African is a cool looking bike - if you're coming up state again send me a PM maybe we can hook up and I'll do the same \.

Here's a few images of my NM4 - Regards!

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/11985-my-newest-girl-mike-mas.html

DCT is very stable and reliable as long as you have a fully functioning battery which is essential to the function of the gear changer. The only time I have had a problem with the DCT was when my battery was in the process of dying.

Back