• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any pics of the Honda tall windscreen?

Or the bottom.

I had the exact same problem with the screen on my F800ST. Bad helmet buffeting and incredible windnoise. But instead of spending way more $$$ than I wanted, for a spoiler that may even make things worse for all I knew, I just made a "base" plate, attached it to the bike's stock windscreen mounts, and then bolted the shield to the new base plate, but now it was positioned a few inches higher up.

I fluked out I guess, but it worked perfectly first experimental try. :)

It cost me $3.00 (a scrap piece of hardboard panel from Home Depot), and about maybe an hour's total labour effort. (a pencil, hacksaw and a kettle of boiling water to help steam the wood to form an arc matching the OEM screen)

Totally removable, and it left no trace once I took it off. Three torx screw and 20 seconds, to put it on or off.

I'm sure a very similar thing could be made for the NCX. Note, this was simply an first trial run experiment, that I was going to replicate using better materials, like Lexan, or thin aluminum, or even fibreglass or carbon fibre, if it worked.

After painting the hardboard to make it waterproof for my shakedown test trip (a little over 3,000 km's) though, I just ended up leaving it as it was, and putting it on or off as I wanted, for city non-use or highway trips of any lengthier distance.

Now trust me, I know. I'm not saying this is the be all-end all, or everyone's cup of tea, but at least it's a cheap 'n easy way to see if varying heights of windscreens can help or hinder, without having to pay for an expensive windscreen not knowing the outcome first.

I was also undecided if I wanted to space the windshield out from the base plate with thicker rubber washers, to allow an air gap for laminar flow up the backside of the screen, or to add the same thickness of material to the outside of the base plate, to bring the level flush with the outside of the screen, for smoother flow on the front. I ended up trading in my F800 for the NCX before I was able to continue my experiments though. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the idea...adding from the bottom...this way i can make use of the existing hole without drilling any...great idea!!:D

Nice job LBS. I love your DYI windscreen mod. Have you thought about cutting a vent in the plastic bottom to relief some pressure behind the now-taller screen?

Thanks for the idea...adding from the bottom...this way i can make use of the existing hole without drilling any...great idea!!:D

Thanks! Ya, I have an aversion to drilling holes in stock screens or bodywork until I know for sure something will do what I need. Also I'm cheap/poor/thrifty lol, so I can't afford to just start buying aftermarket windscreens or deflectors, and hope that they will work...:eek:

Plus this is super easy and costs pennies. The NCX looks like it would be even easier to quickly mock up something for experimenting with windscreen heights.

Nice job LBS. I love your DYI windscreen mod. Have you thought about cutting a vent in the plastic bottom to relief some pressure behind the now-taller screen?

Thanks Tony :)

Sorry, was the last part of your reply directed towards me, too? The bottom part is the hardboard panel I was talking about (wood, about 1/8" thick, the stuff that you see on the backs of like Ikea bookshelves or closet bypass doors, lol)

The angle of the windshield was fairly sloped back, so it didn't appear to create any noticeable vortexes (vortices?) requiring venting. Like I said, I thought about spacing the lower mounting of the screen onto the base plate outwards just a bit, to do exactly that, allow air to flow in behind the screen-same as what a vent cut out would do, but found it uneccessary. Then I traded the bike in for my 700X, so that was the end of that chapter. :D

Thanks! Ya, I have an aversion to drilling holes in stock screens or bodywork until I know for sure something will do what I need. Also I'm cheap/poor/thrifty lol, so I can't afford to just start buying aftermarket windscreens or deflectors, and hope that they will work...:eek:

Plus this is super easy and costs pennies. The NCX looks like it would be even easier to quickly mock up something for experimenting with windscreen heights.

Some call it cheap, and some call it sensible. I love finding those little DYI projects that are fully functional and cost little to nothing.

Finally i added added an extension board at the bottom....here are the pics...
I rode this morning to work...it is much better now...the wind is not directing to my face now...just hitting the top of my helmet...
but it is not 100% quiet... there will be some crosswinds ocassionally...but definitely much better than before... will try out further and decide what to do later..
Cheers
2012-11-15 21.17.59.jpg2012-11-15 21.51.10.jpg2012-11-15 22.14.18.jpg

Back