• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone switch to a fully synthetic crankcase oil yet?

Looking through my service manual I noted that chart that depicts oil recommendations shows 10w30 and 10w40 across the entire operating range of temperatures. The owners manual of course only recommends 10w30. I am glad for the choice.

That's good to know. My service manual hasn't arrived yet but I did order it.

!0W-30 motorcycle specific oil does not seem to be as widely available in discount form as 10W-40. I have over 2 cases of the 10W-40 stuff around the shop since that's what all my other motos use. Fact is, I just changed my NCX oil at the 600 mile mark a week ago, and I did put the 10W-40 in it. Good to know it was actually OK!

Greg

In another thread I posted a link that shows motorcycle oil filters cut open. Have a look before you buy anything with "Fram" written on it.

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/oil-filters/Motorcycle%2520oil%2520filters%2520exposed.pdf

Then there's this Web site where they recommend not using the Honda nor the Fram filters. One of the recommended filters is actually a discount Walmart item. Interesting.

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

Greg

Then there's this Web site where they recommend not using the Honda nor the Fram filters. One of the recommended filters is actually a discount Walmart item. Interesting.

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

Greg
Oh please. It's the Honda Motor Company for pete's sake. You don't think Honda knows whether or not their filters are good enough to use for the life of the engine? Whose reputation is on the line, some guy who wrote an internet essay or Honda?

What Super Tech filter fits the NCX? I'm assuming that's the one your referring to. I generally use Wix filters.

What Super Tech filter fits the NCX? I'm assuming that's the one your referring to. I generally use Wix filters.

I believe the ST6607 would be the best fit. It's identical sizing to the Honda. I went to Walmart in person, and to the Walmart Web site and they don't seem to have Super Tech filters anymore.

I personally think the advice from that site ( Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference ) should be ignored. Just because you cut open a filter and you are impressed or unimpressed with the visuals doesn't make you a qualified oil filter engineer.

Last edited:
Thanks guy's! I generally use Wix filters unless better quality is available. I also check BITOG for reviews before trying something new or cheaper.

The great oil debate can go on forever, but the short answer is just use what the owner's manual specifies. The manual states that the oil should have the MA rating. Some synthetics are labeled MA, but not all (for example Mobil 1 Has no MA rating).

Greg

I just checked a quart of Mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil and it plainly states it is MA rated. Were you speaking about Mobil 1 automotive oil?

Thanks guy's! I generally use Wix filters unless better quality is available. I also check BITOG for reviews before trying something new or cheaper.
Napa brand filters are made by Wix and are half the price, I just buy
ab947e8c2d6a87c43a1a94f0c1befd7a.jpg

Yep. When a thread is this old, I learn things when reading my own posts!

I'm like, :confused: did I write that?

Last edited:
Welcome to the deep, dark world of oil threads, Paul! Not sure if you've entered this treacherous land before, but it's unlike any other topic I've ever researched... In the end, follow the oil spec for your machine and your gut instinct. Godspeed, sir!

Oil is overrated. Use whatever you want. Or don't:

[video=youtube;jK9h43Ivqjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK9h43Ivqjg[/video]

Yup. I haven't chimed in on this thread. In my 30 years of maintaining my cars and motorcycles, the two most important factors were using oil with the specs that the manufacturer recommended (ie 5W-20, 0W-20, 10W-40 etc) and the frequency of the oil change. I usually change every 5-7K miles and have never had an engine fail. The highest mileage vehicle I have ever had is my current Acura MDX at 150K and that car runs like it's new and the oil looks great. That car is 11 years old as well. Used Mobil 1 - 5W-20 for the life of the car.

Last edited:

It does not strictly adhere to any of Honda's grade recommendations. It does adhere to the frictional characteristics Honda recommends: JASO MA (MA2 is a sub-segment of the broader MA category). If I felt like it, I would use it. If you used it, then tested it after using for a while, and didn't tell anyone here what you'd used, they would not be able to distinguish between this fluid and many, many others.

Last edited:
Back