• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

aux gas tank

misterk

Reaction score
Visit site
i have read the threads on adding an aux gas tank.

i am going to add a 2.5 gal tank from tour tank. i am also going to buy a rack from dale.

i will have a shut off valve so i can fill main when empty.

the only thing i am unsure about is tapping the gas cap. i plan to order a replacement gas cap then tap a nozzle on top.

should i take it to a maxhine shop and have it welded? i know ld rider used jb weld.

any other ideas to tap the cap?

i am going to add a 2.5 gal tank from tour tank. i am also going to buy a rack from dale.

the only thing i am unsure about is tapping the gas cap. i plan to order a replacement gas cap then tap a nozzle on top.

should i take it to a maxhine shop and have it welded? i know ld rider used jb weld.

So you intend on having the new tank gravity feed through the top of the gas cap, while retaining your stock vent tubing, correct?

Something like this?:

AUX TANK -------> Shut Off Valve --------> Fitting ---------> Main tank gas cap.
That should work, but you will want to vent the AUX tank as well.

Also, I'd probably do something more like this:
AUX --------> Shut off Valve -------> Quick Disconnect -------> Fitting --------> Main Tank Gas Cap.

When I was researching it I was going this route:

AUX -------> Shut off Valve -------> Ball Valve Quick Disconnect --------> Tap into top of fuel tank (under rear seat)
and additionally:
AUX (vent line) -------> Quick Disconnect --------> T fitting into stock vent tubing

My thinking was this would allow me to fill up when empty, as well as easily disconnect the tank without leaking anything, and it would utilize the stock venting system of the motorcycle for both tanks.

Last edited:

For my aux tank I bought a replacement gas cap for a Honda Elite 80 scooter. I have that scooter and I knew it was an exact fit on the NC tank and has a smooth rounded top that is easily drilled for the fuel inlet fitting and for a vent hose. It's very thin metal but there is just enough metal to grab a thread or two of the 90 degree pipe fitting I screwed into the cap. It cut it's own thread. The fitting is brass and the cap is very thin pot metal so I don't think there is enough material to weld and it doesn't even need adhesive to stay in place. I used a smear of Permatex Form A Gasket 2A to seal the thread but honestly I don't think that is even necessary. There is never fuel standing in the fuel line above the cap and when it's flowing it's under atmospheric pressure with the bottom of the fitting below the top edge of the main tank. Gas just runs thru the hose and fitting into the main tank. Fuel is never actually in contact with the fitting/cap threads.

For my aux tank I bought a replacement gas cap for a Honda Elite 80 scooter. I have that scooter and I knew it was an exact fit on the NC tank and has a smooth rounded top that is easily drilled for the fuel inlet fitting and for a vent hose. It's very thin metal but there is just enough metal to grab a thread or two of the 90 degree pipe fitting I screwed into the cap. It cut it's own thread. The fitting is brass and the cap is very thin pot metal so I don't think there is enough material to weld and it doesn't even need adhesive to stay in place. I used a smear of Permatex Form A Gasket 2A to seal the thread but honestly I don't think that is even necessary. There is never fuel standing in the fuel line above the cap and when it's flowing it's under atmospheric pressure with the bottom of the fitting below the top edge of the main tank. Gas just runs thru the hose and fitting into the main tank. Fuel is never actually in contact with the fitting/cap threads.

Excellent, thank you very much.

I am going to buy an aux tank with a vented gas cap, do I need to do any other venting of the aux tank? Or should I buy a non vented gas cap for the aux and take the vent line and "T" it to the NC vent line on top of the oem gas tank?

I also wonder if I could take the scooter gas cap to a welder and have them beef it up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well....I ordered a 1.5 gal tank

6x15 END FILL SPUN ALUMINUM GAS TANK - 1.5 GALLON - GO KART - MINI BIKE | eBay

I also ordered a gas cap per Dave answer:

HONDA GAS FUEL TANK CAP PETROL SCOOTER NQ50 NQ50 SE50 SE SPREE ELITE HELIX 250 | eBay

and I ordered the attachment kit from Tour Tank

Tour Tank Auxiliary Gasoline Tanks

I will have some downtime from Dec. 18 till Jan 1, I will get it installed then.

I assume with total gas now of 5.2 gallons, if I travel at 70 mph (avg 60 mpg) I should get an easy 200 miles. At 85 mph I should get about 160 miles at least. What I like the best is I have more leeway in when I fill up.

Without the aux tank, if traveling in the western region of USA, I will get gas between 90 miles and 110 miles if I know I am 40 miles from a gas station. This will allow me to skip that extra gas stop.

I remember this past summer, I was going from Amarillo to Clayton NM (150 miles going the back roads). I ran out of gas 24 miles from Clayton NM. I had a 1/4 gal fuel bottle. That got me another 12 miles, then my buddy had to take my fuel bottle to refill in Clayton and come back to me. The total route was 150 miles, traveling about 75-80 mph with a stiff headwind (20 mph) and loaded like a pack mule.

Last edited:
Yeah even with the great mileage I usually get out of a tank, If I ever range out further with more gear, I'll just throw a Rotopax in my Junior 55 top case... I've gotten so used to carrying one as a matter of course on my WR250R and I gotta say the flat form factor, sturdiness, and the lack of of venting, leaking, or sucking in or bulging out has made carrying "just in case" fuel trouble-free. Its spout is also trouble-free.

a092623946afcf4b447561815a640fbd.jpg

413af21714ce11da6325d6d7dc4ff2fe.jpg

c7a7cf5013d280596af27c0a9551c2c2.jpg

4c2e19758183a848d1f1fd9ddd41deb4.jpg

00bd184cafb2871f9906c571afbc1aef.jpg

Now I have to burn some gas to try it out

Well, i am not crazy about the elite 80 gas cap, it.fits but it is not real snug like the oem cap. Anybody know any other gas caps that would fit tighter that has a smooth top?

Going camping tomorrow, travel about 210 miles to camp. So tomorrow is the first big test.

The past few days I have been running soured the neighborhood, low idle with heated grips and heated jacket. Went out to start it, the bike would not crank, but fuel pump would come on. Put the battery tender on for about 4 minutes, it cranked up.

rode it a few miles, came home and put the bakery tender on it for a fulll charge. Ordered a new yuasa battery on amazon today for 140. I figure the bike being a 13 model, the battery is about 4-5 yrs old. The tender will flash if battery needs to be replaced, it did not flash and it took a full charge. Better safe than sorry. I replace my goldwing battery when battery gauge shows the volts drop below 10 on start up.

First test this weekend, here are the results, I have the 1.6 gal aux tank

d53fd9c3af19f8e1b1ec911722075b29.jpg

d7037a2107850dbac4e3827ee9f2b865.jpg

Filled up just the oem tank. Looks like I still had half a gallon left. Averaged about 75 mph, tailwind and head winds at times.

About 70 miles at 80-85 mph. Bike was fully loaded coming back from camping

ffee245b1ffdceaec7b4ee6b1d78591a.jpg

Last edited:
First test this weekend, here are the results, I have the 1.6 gal aux tank

d53fd9c3af19f8e1b1ec911722075b29.jpg

d7037a2107850dbac4e3827ee9f2b865.jpg

Filled up just the oem tank. Looks like I still had half a gallon left. Averaged about 75 mph, tailwind and head winds at times.

About 70 miles at 80-85 mph. Bike was fully loaded coming back from camping

ffee245b1ffdceaec7b4ee6b1d78591a.jpg

That is pretty cool! If I did more camping or touring I'd be real tempted to do this.

I just saw these on a review of something earlier tonight, Fuel Friend Jerry Cans, fuelfriend.de and google will translate it for you.

Having the inline tank is neat and all... but I just can't see why you would need to complicate things when external fuel tanks are available. Much easier just to stop and refill isn't it?

https://rotopax.com/ are perfect for this... many mounting options and sizes. Would be perfect with the luggage system you have too. Can carry water with the system too.

I won't even bother with a Rotopax mount for my NC until I have to -- my Rotopax fits so easily in my Junior 55 top case with all the other stuff I need for my riding, thanks to the flat/slim profile. With the smallest Rotopax size I still increase my riding range a minimum of 60 miles.

Having the inline tank is neat and all... but I just can't see why you would need to complicate things when external fuel tanks are available. Much easier just to stop and refill isn't it?

https://rotopax.com/ are perfect for this... many mounting options and sizes. Would be perfect with the luggage system you have too. Can carry water with the system too.
I don't know if you read some of the other auxiliary tank threads but in my case I do some long distance rides where time management is integral to completing the rides and adding fuel capacity without having to stop to add or refill the tank is necessary. If the goal is just not to run out before gas is available again there is no reason not to use an uncomplicated external fuel container.

I am loving having the extra capacity. I rode 200 miles the other day. Nice to not having to stop for fuel, i just reach back and open the valve. I may buy a 3 or 4 gallon tank for really long hauls. I can swap out tanks in about 5 minutes, so why not>

Would you feel the same way if your car only went 160 miles before you had to stop for fuel? With a 50 mile + commute you waste a lot of time per year stopping for fuel in a year.
My 3/4 ton pickup can go over 600 miles on a tank of fuel. Why should a motorcycle be different? I can commute two weeks on a tank of gas in my car, but only 3 days on my bike. Sure there are plenty of gas stations to get fuel, but I prefer to do it at longer intervals to save time.
It sucks having to stop and get fuel after a 12 or 13 hour day of work every 3 days when the temperature is 20°F or lower.
Do you carry gas cans for your car?

Last edited:
I don't know if you read some of the other auxiliary tank threads but in my case I do some long distance rides where time management is integral to completing the rides and adding fuel capacity without having to stop to add or refill the tank is necessary. If the goal is just not to run out before gas is available again there is no reason not to use an uncomplicated external fuel container.

Great explanation, thanks... I knew about long distance riding, but I didn't know that there were ones with such a tight time management component that made refilling from onboard stored gas a factor - I can definitely understand the gas station factor though (finding a convenient one, waiting in lines, etc). When I hear about "extra" gas (whether like yours or containers) I usually think of emergencies or for those riders that go where there aren't many gas stations.

Last edited:
Back