• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Barber Race Weekend - Suspension Update

kebrider

Reaction score
Visit site
We had a fantastic time at Barber and even met up with a couple of NC owners who are not members of this forum, but may soon be. The bike averaged 79 mpg for the 3 day trip as we only got on the interstate for 100 miles of the 740 total. The new suspension was outstanding with true plushness on small to medium road imperfections and sport-like firmness on the harsher stuff, but always comfy and never harsh.

I got to do 5 laps on the track after Saturday's racing which is sheer genius on the part of the BMS marketing types as this guarantees return track-day visits. Got to stuff the NC in the museum turn (9) on a couple of those laps so big fun. We spent most of our time at the museum as we bought an out-of-town pass that is good for the year and gives you access to the Turn Nine Cafe where they feed members breakfast and lunch. So you get good eats with a video feed of the track activities and a beautiful, close-up view of turn 9; they also set up chairs outside the cafe so members can sit next to the track. $50 per adult, which includes access to the museum of course ($15 admission otherwise or $25 for a weekend).

Of course the museum is everything anyone has ever written about it, truly a world class effort. We spent at least 8 hours just enjoying the bikes and snapping hundreds of pictures. I found pictures of George Barber and sought him out as I heard he was at the museum everyday. Sure enough we found him and Donna and I kept taking pictures near him to get his attention and he offered to pose with us and talked with us for a bit. A supremely nice guy. He seemed to be interested in the NC when I mentioned I had just installed a upgraded suspension but his eyes really lit up when I told him it had done 81 mpg from Knoxville to Birmingham. Get that a lot with the NC.

Barber with George Barber.jpg

KEB

They let us park our bikes next to the front door. How about the NC photo bombing George Barber?

NCPhoto Bomb.jpg

KEB

Thank goodness for the milk drinkers of Birmingham, eh?

I have the same data logger installed on the left fork tube :)

The Barber is a must see for any motorcyclist. I am in awe just looking at the place, even before I walk though the doors. Sand pits to catch a racer that runs off the track!

Once you walk in the door your jaw just hits the ground. The Barber is just the best of the best!

Last edited:
Thank goodness for the milk drinkers of Birmingham, eh?

I have the same data logger installed on the left fork tube :)

Dairy money put to good use I say. The data logger did indicate that I have room for adjustment but I will not do anything until I try the straight rate spring Cogent designed the DDC around. The current set-up is so much better than stock it is hard to imagine it can get much better but I do sense the ability of the forks to absorb larger pot holes would improve with slightly stronger springs.

Pretty easy change if I can bend the springs around the handlebars slightly as I remove and install them. I need to get some properly threaded fork caps with preload adjusters and I know I saw them mentioned in a post somewhere. I will find it and see if I can get them installed when I do the springs.

Kimball

Dairy money put to good use I say. The data logger did indicate that I have room for adjustment but I will not do anything until I try the straight rate spring Cogent designed the DDC around. The current set-up is so much better than stock it is hard to imagine it can get much better but I do sense the ability of the forks to absorb larger pot holes would improve with slightly stronger springs.

Pretty easy change if I can bend the springs around the handlebars slightly as I remove and install them. I need to get some properly threaded fork caps with preload adjusters and I know I saw them mentioned in a post somewhere. I will find it and see if I can get them installed when I do the springs.

Kimball
The preload adjusters from a current model CB1100 fit.

Thanks a million Dave. I will order them at lunch. And the mods just keep on adding up....

Back