• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BarkBuster Handguards - Clutch Cable Routing Question

AnacortesArmyGuy

Reaction score
Visit site
During the installation of BarkBuster Handguards, during which I followed the manufacturer's instructions to the letter, I can find no way to prevent the clutch cable from making contact with the lower mounting bracket, causing a slight kink in the cable (see second photo). The cable does not seem to be binding at all, and the kink is relatively mild, but I can see it's scuffing the cable cover from the mere contact pressure. Short of moving the handguard support bracket down at a weird angle (currently it's set horizontal to the ground per the instructions - see photo #1), I'm at a loss as to what else I can do except live with it. I have wrapped the cable at the contact point with electrical tape, but would like to know if others who have installed this handguard on their bike have encountered the same issue. Thanks. (If it's showing each photo twice like it did on my preview page, I'm sorry about that - not sure why it is). image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Mine has been exactly the same for 3000 miles. It has very minor damage to it now. I might have to replace it many thousands of miles from now, which doesn't bother me in the least. The benefits in the winter greatly outweigh that for me.

Unsolicited advice :eek:

1- Rotate the BB bracket up on the horizontal plane just a wee tiny bit.
2- Take a round file or dremel tool and remove a tiny little bit of material from the bracket at the point of contact.
3- Very slightly oval the hole in which the bolt goes through that inner section.
4- Add 1mm or 2mm thickness of clamshell spacer (aluminum, steel, rubber, whatever) where the bracket clamps to the handle bar.

Individually these will be small amounts, but should add up to at least 10mm or however much space is required. The only problems I've ever had with clutch cables, is them fraying/breaking at the lever end swage point or adjuster entry location. I really don't like kinked cables in that area.

Mine is exactly the same. No issues. Must be at least 10,000 kms on it. In fact there was more wear provoked by the angle of the chrome cable mount on the lower end of the cable. My trusty tech pointed that out to me and bent the tab to the correct angle.

mine is the same. I also made small adjustments to ease any "tension," or bends in the cable. In 36,000 mms, no issues. Although i''m probably a little more diligent about cable lubrication.

Back