• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best Cost Effective (Read Cheap) seat option for the NC...

Ponyperformance8

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so I just gave my MotoSkiveez their first test ride, hoping they may be able to substitute for a new seat and I am less than impressed. Unfortunately for me they wernt any better than the $10 set of bicycle shorts bought at Target :confused:

Anyways.... With a 3000 mile trip coming up soon, cheap seat options are on my mind. I have seen some suggestions on here including beaded seats, seat concepts and more, but I want to know what people think actually works.

Although cost is an issue I would rather spend something a little more for something that I know works well and will be worth it.

Sheepskin, pads, or air hawks are fairly cheap.

Modifying the seat yourself is cheap (adding or removing foam and recovering with staple gun).

Seat Concepts DIY foam and cover comes in at under $200. After that you're at $300 and up for aftermarket seats.

Didn't the shad have the most votes for comfort?I can't remember but I'm thinking most liked the shad best.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cheapest? Check the seat slope modification thread. The difference is remarkable. Slap a gel cushion on top of that and the difference is astounding.

Didn't the shad have the most votes for comfort?I can't remember but I'm thinking most liked the shad best.

The poll was what seat do you have, not necessarily what seat is the most comfortable. The most votes went to the stock seat. The most votes for aftermarket seat was Shad. It's
possible the most comfortable got the fewest votes, as the Russell only had one vote.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/5995-what-seat-installed-your-nc700.html

Last edited:
Thanks.I wasn't sure but thought it was the best over all seat.so many post so little memory

Tried Spencer's

Page 1
I had him do my ST seat and it was a huge improvement. I"ll probably send my NC seat to him this winter...
I contacted Frank at Spencer's about a redo of the NC700 seat to correct the problem areas. He told me he had never done one, and said I should try taking it to a custom seat builder who could do a lot more in the comfort department. So I did!
I posted this information in the seat modification section.
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
I sent my seat to Spencer last week. It will be here by Friday. I will post an update after I've had a chance to try it out.

Page 1
I had him do my ST seat and it was a huge improvement. I"ll probably send my NC seat to him this winter...

Spencer did the seat on my 2003 Honda Silver Wing and on my 2009 BMW G650GS and did a great job on both. I would have sold the Silver Wing and gone bike-less for a while if Spencer had not done such a good job on the seat. The stock seat would turn my toes numb inside of 30 minutes.

I sent my seat to Spencer last week. It will be here by Friday. I will post an update after I've had a chance to try it out.
zirconx,
I'll be waiting to see what your Spencer seat looks like, and how you like it. Since Frank told me he had never done an Nc700 seat before it'll be of interest to see his upgrade work.

Dan,

If you go with a seat from Spencer, let us know how it worked out. The ratings are very good for his products.

Rich

Spencer doesn't actually make a seat, he just rips apart the stock seat, and replaces the guts with memory foam and gel pads...I'f I remember correctly.... for my ST, I would say he gave me a 70% improvement over stock. I could then ride 200-300 miles before monkey butt set in. The stock seats on the ST and NC, give me monkey butt after less than 50 miles... That'll be a winter project for next yr...

Zirconx,
It has been almost two weeks since you posted this message. Accordingly you should have received it back from Frank on the 18th, last Friday.
My question: How did it turn out? Have you given it a test ride? How is the comfort? The fit? In your own words what did Frank actually do to increase the comfort? How would you rate the overall quality and comfort of the seat? The quality of the work? Would you do it again?
Thanks for your opinions. I'm sure everyone is interested in your thoughts.

Last edited:
The very best thing I have ever put on my seat, besides me of course, is a bead pad. I bought one years ago and this one pad has moved with me to 4 different motorcycles, and it was flexible enough to work on them all.
It makes riding really cool, literally, since it allows cooling air to flow UNDER your butt, keeping you cool and dry. It doesn't get any better than that, not for $40 bucks.
I'm NOT in ANY way affiliated with the maker, but I am 1000% satisfied and happy with the product.
Check it out
BeadRider – Beaded Motorcycle Seats

Back