• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Biggest rear tire?

I highly recommend Michelin Pilot Road4, it's very sticky in sunny or rain whatever - like you are glued on paved road. Best tires for me.

Hi Folks,

New here, hello!

Just wondering, my NC750X's rear tire is ending it's career soon and I'm looking for replacement. I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience fitting a bigger tire. I live in Costa Rica, and our roads are terrible, filled with pot holes and just outright bad roads all over the place. A bigger tire would give me a slightly better chance at surviving hitting holes and a little more cushion around our bad roads.

I saw someone say they put in a 150/60 tire which is a bit higher.

Anyone else with any similar experiences?

Thank you all.

I actually just made a post about this too. I put on a Dunlop Q2 180/55/17 rear tire (was a track take-off...but the Q2s are high performance street tires) and it fit just fine and performed just fine on a 170 mile commute. The post is titled "Yes, a 180 rear tire will fit (so far)" if you want to see my post and the pics.

I think we have no rear tire hugger too, so keep that in mind.

It's rare that anyone on the street can use all of a tire's performance so fitting oversize tires may be of little consequence but tires are sized to rim widths and the rim for a 150mm cross section tire pulls the beads of a tire 30mm wider too close together for optimal shape. If the tire is free and hurts no one - what the heck? If someone pays more for less performance - that's not smart.

Last edited:
It's rare that anyone on the street can use all of a tire's performance so fitting oversize tires may be of little consequence but tires are sized to rim widths and the rim for a 150mm cross section tire pulls the beads of a tire 30mm wider too close together for optimal shape. If the tire is free and hurts no one - what the heck? If someone pays more for less performance - that's not smart.

I agree 100% on this. Even when I race I run an unorthodox tire set up that even a lot of tire vendors scratch their head at. On my Ninja 250 race bike I run a 120/70/17 front whereas the stock size is 110/70/17. Ive run all different set ups from a 90/17/17, 100/17/17, 110/17/17, and a 120/70/17. I prefer 120/70/17 on my Ninja 250. The 90/17/17 is a little too twitchy but I can run fine on it. The 120/17/17 makes turn in slower but raises the height a little more because it pinches the tire...and they are readily available track side.

And in my race class where there are 20+ riders, I am usually on the podium or top 6 and Im only a couple seconds from the lap record.

I'm planning to install a Michelin 160/70-17 on the rear and a 130/70-17 rear on the front, both Michelin. I have used similar on my ST1100 ABS WITH great success. Your comments are welcome.

I have noticed that heavier tires drag things down just a tad. The more power one has the less that matters...

Just ordered the tires I mentioned above? The Michelin Commander II is marketed as a cruiser tire but
performs great wet or dry and returned 18000 miles on the ST. Experience better the NC. The 130/70-17 Michelin Pilot rear on the front will maintain stock aspect ratio and also provide more mileage.

I have noticed that heavier tires drag things down just a tad. The more power one has the less that matters...

+2 ^^^^^^^^^ plus a bigger tire adds to unsprung weight on bike with a budget suspension. Then if you change to taller gearing the bike will likely go faster in 5th gear vs 6th with the added drag.

Think there are some good reasons to go slightly smaller than stock with a "quality" tire..........compromises are always present and constant.

Back