• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BIKERGLORY NC tests, review

nikko

Reaction score
Visit site
Happy new year everyone and apologies for not introducing myself in the usual place, but under the circs.... Basically at Bikerglory we've finally got the NC700 review done featuring both S & X. As you may know we do stuff in depth, hopefully without boring the pants off everyone. We also welcome participation in the form of comment, so please tell me where we've got it wrong - I'm did the NC piece myself and I'm particularly interested in user perceptions and modifications - anyone upped the gearing? I'll also be linking this forum to the piece asap.

"The Jazz derivation means we’re talking peak torque at low revs (4k ono) and a low red line at around 6k revs, assisted by the SOHC under-square design – which makes for an unusual bike configuration in recent, rev hungry times. Performance resembles that of a turbo diesel four wheeler, accentuated by a torque spike as low as 2k revs. Car engine also means car tech: variable valve timing and lean burn management contribute to low fuel consumption – mixed conditions riding should see 60 mpg realised without undue fuss: our urban orientated testing never returned less than 50 mpg."

This statement implies that the NC700 engine employs variable valve timing. It does not.

Greg

me to never heard of it.
anyway...
welcome%20with%20smiles.gif

Must be an american thing. Anyway I'm glad to have discovered it

From the first line of the article.

"November and December 2012, London. As usual these days, it’s raining. Incessantly. The wet became default mode for the Bikerglory Honda NC700 tests, carried out at the fag end of what seemed to have been a particularly turbulent year"

Doesn't read like an American publication. The "proper" English you speak there is tough for us colonials

Last edited:
I'm not going to make any kind of argument that the NC has any business going off pavement, but...

Honda class the X as an adventure bike, which is both laughable (road tyres, weight problem, low C of G, suspension set up) and a marketing contradiction, since adventure bikes require a higher C of G to start with.

I can't for the life of me think of any reason you'd want any bike, especially a bike you were going to be 'adventure riding', to have a high CoG. What am I missing?

trey

I'm not going to make any kind of argument that the NC has any business going off pavement, but...

I can't for the life of me think of any reason you'd want any bike, especially a bike you were going to be 'adventure riding', to have a high CoG. What am I missing?

trey

Generally for ground clearance.

I think that the term "Adventure Bike" has become more about style than actual use much in the same way that (in the UK at least) most 4X4 never see any obstacle bigger than the speed humps in the supermarket carpark. My Crossrunner is classified as an Adventure bike but I certainly wouldn't want to take that off road

Generally for ground clearance.

Agreed, higher CoG is generally a consequence of wanting more ground clearance, but that's not how the article reads. He specifically mentions low CoG as a problem, not the ground clearance. What I was getting at is, if all other things are equal (ground clearance, fuel capacity, weight, etc), I don't know why you'd choose a higher CoG over lower.

trey

The author tries to paint the NC700X with a standard motorcycle brush. He fails to realize that it appears to be doing exactly what it was made for. Any bike will have to give up something in exchange for something else. He really wants to compare all the things found in conventional bikes to the NC700. It does not work. I think the vast majority of owners like the bike for what it is, a fun commuter/weekend play toy that gets great mileage and has a frunk. If I wanted something else I would have bought that instead.

The center of gravity stuff was clearly explained right under the HANDLING header. Higher CoG creates more forward-rearward weight transfer, which makes it easier to lift the front end, which is desirable for clearing off-road obstacles (or at least it used to be in the decades I was riding dirt bikes ;) ).

I haven't read the article, and honestly probably won't since I'm already an owner. I took my boy out into the desert on mine yesterday for a few moments. There was an ATV/buggy-thing out there, and I thought he'd like to ride out and 'chase' it. We weren't really chasing it, but the NC did very well apart from the street tires not gripping the loose sand well (duh!).

I will gently tip my toes here...
Queens English or not, Technically speaking, the DCT has a clutch, odds on one side even on the other, and they're hydraulically actuated as opposed to manually operated by lever, but I guess readers will grasp that. Center of gravity, CG (aka now apparently CofG) is a point around which the weight of a device/machine appears to be concentrated. Tends to make for ease of maneuverability and not encourage "tipping" over. For off-roading, what becomes of importance is ground height or curb clearance so we don't lose the undersides of me precious [Lord of the Rings]:), but otherwise good explanation of how the fore/aft location of CG affects stability.

I have an adventure on my bike every day I ride ;D

Otherwise the bike is not beaten too badly in the write-up, and it was nice to see some non-standard pics of the NC700

Last edited:
Yeah they weren't super kind to it, but that's probably a good thing. I'm sure if we're all honest there are things that we'd change about the bike, and the more feedback people give, the more chance Honda will improve it.

You have to take the review in context, though, as well. This is an industry--bike "journalism"--that has been sustained by a steady diet of sport bikes for decades and any attempt to revive utilitarian motorcycles is going to stick a bit going down.

A few other people have pointed it out: you can't evaluate this from the same perspective from which you'd evaluate a sport bike, and it seems like they have. Complaining about topping out on power at 'merely three digits,' and that the machine is too quiet (and after all everyone knows bikes should be loud) all belie their objectivity about how bikes should be.

Anyway, I'm glad for constructive feedback that may contribute to a better NC down the road, and secure enough not to be bothered by the sport bike filter through which the review seems to have been offered.

I'm curious why people are speaking about low center of gravity and ground clearance as if they're mutually exclusive. Center of gravity is about density as it changes in a particular shape or, for some given rigid volume, where the mass is 'concentrated'. Theoretically, you can have relatively high clearance and still have a low center of gravity.

Last edited:
My O4 Tacoma has great ground clearance, an a sticker on the visor, "Danger!! tippy lil cus" so it goes. The NC is an odd bike that has yet to convert the masses. Let's see the dual sport tire sets follow suit from inexpensive brands.
BigE

Nikko: After digging into your archive which go back to June 2011 I am really happy you posted here. I welcome any two wheeled proponent to the world. Thanks again.
P.S. I bet a few here have even considered an NC with a hack. and I am sure a highly modified frankinNC is being brought to life on this round planet. Neat and Sweet.
BigE

Last edited:
LOL, what a shallow review. I am not yet an owner, only ridden one for around 500kms but looks like the reviewing persons haven't really ride the bike.

Weight: 220kg. Very low in the frame makes it a duddle. Try 200kg in a CB900 Hornet or 220kg on my CBR1100XX.

On my extended test ride, I averaged 3.5L/100km. And that means I got 180miles before reserve. Then it takes another 11 Liters to fuel up. Save the change for lunch :) Thanks Mr.Honda and less $ to the oil companies.

The low redline is not frustrating... use the clutch and have some fun. Keep it between 4k and 6k and listen to it howl without loosing your license.

Why would you put a shaft drive on a 50hp bike? take away more power?

Just bought a NC700X!

Its getting all the fruit!.... have done custom seats / Akrop exhaust. Currently sending away forks for a valve and shim kit and will get an Ohlins rear. SW motec topbox and pannier rack in the mail....!

That is the most critical review of the NC700 I have ever read. He just don't get the NC. That's ok though. I give the review a big thumbs down.

Back