• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bluetooth Helmet Intercom & the Frunk

Kiernan

Reaction score
Visit site
My second random question of the day:

My buddy and I are looking into getting Bluetooth intercoms for our rides. Specifically, the Sena SMH5 is in the budget for me. Does anyone have this model or the SMH10 mounted on the helmet? If so, are there any issues getting the helmet into the frunk with it mounted?

Sena does make the SMH10R which has a much thinner control module, but it's also much more expensive.

I have the SMH10 and a Bilt Evolution helmet. It does NOT fit in the trunk. On another note, I LOVE the SMH10

Yes (I have a 2XL helmet) but it is a tight fit.

0704151925.jpg

The 'clip' on the module is very finicky when you try to put it back on the helmet; you have to make sure it clicks and then pull on it to make sure it stays. I almost lost that module one time because I thought it was locked in place after I removed it from charging. Luckily, it came off and fell on the carpet when I was heading outside. Lesson learned, so I hardly ever take the module off the helmet anymore and put my helmet in the rear trunk.

The module isn't small. I think when this no longer works, I'm gonna save up and the the SMH10R. Other than that, it works great and I love it. I talk to my wife on the phone all the time via the Sena, and she says it sounds like I'm in my Rogue using Bluetooth. No one has complained about not hearing me, and vice-versa.

I had the SMH 10 and pulled the module off the baseplate and threw my helmet in the frunk for a year of commuting. It took an extra 10 seconds, and I never had an issue with the headset seating correctly. We've got the new 20s or whatever it is, and I had to move the baseplate forward a bunch to get it into the frunk even with the unit off. I have a size small shoei. Depending on the size and shape of your helmet, even the low profile Sena may not fit.

Now I'm hoping someone has the R model who would like to post a picture and comment. Apparently I need to adjust my budget expectations.

I have the 10R on a Shoei GT Air. Fits with no issues. I think for most helmets it is the length that causes issues and not the width. The 10R adds very little to the width and you can mount the battery where ever you want. I have it mounted under the rear lip on the padding so it doesn't add any to the length. Recently bought another set of speakers and mike so I can easily move it between the GT Air and my DS helmet.

I have a HJC cl17 and an interfone fs2 city I just pop it off the side and stick it inside the helmet. Works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 'clip' on the module is very finicky when you try to put it back on the helmet; you have to make sure it clicks and then pull on it to make sure it stays. I almost lost that module one time because I thought it was locked in place after I removed it from charging. Luckily, it came off and fell on the carpet when I was heading outside. Lesson learned, so I hardly ever take the module off the helmet anymore and put my helmet in the rear trunk.

Make sure your clamp isn't too tight, deforming the mounting area. It'll be hard to snap the module into place, and the mount will break eventually (ask me how I know :rolleyes: )

trey

I have an SMH-10 on my XL Arai Signet-Q (also have a Profile). The helmet just barely fits in the f/trunk without the mount. With it, it does not fit. A person _may_ be able to move the Mount far enough forward on this helmet to allow it to fit, but I haven't tried.

My folks have a pair or the 10Rs, and they would not allow my helmet to fit, either. A smaller size helmet might.

Last edited:
Just for comparison....I have an XL Shoei Neotec and uclear module and Bluetooth set up--- all fits in the frunk.

I have a Shoei Qwest and RF1200 both fitted with the SMH-5. Neither of them fit in the frunk with the unit attached. However, it is a great unit. I love it and wondered why I waited so long to get one.

My second random question of the day:

My buddy and I are looking into getting Bluetooth intercoms for our rides. Specifically, the Sena SMH5 is in the budget for me. Does anyone have this model or the SMH10 mounted on the helmet? If so, are there any issues getting the helmet into the frunk with it mounted?

Sena does make the SMH10R which has a much thinner control module, but it's also much more expensive.

I have the s20, it will not fit In the frunk either.

Get the Smh 10, it is a much higher quality piece and will be worth the extra money.

You should be able to fit the helmet in if you detach the headset piece itself and store it in your helmet

My Sena 20S base, mounted on a 2XL RF1200 fits. Even with the module installed on on the base it fits... But that's really tight, so much so I don't do it for fear of damaging the buttons.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Back