• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BMW 800GT - or a Honda NC700 GT?

mike5100

Reaction score
Visit site
If Honda reworked the NC700 to look like BMW's new midrange tourer, I would buy it tomorrow. Full fairing and belt drive and gorgeous looks plus slightly foward riding position combined with Honda's frugality, the not-tank, light front wheel, ABS linked brakes and auto DCT would make a dream bike. All it would be lacking for me would be cruise control.
Mike
bmw-f800gt-2013-1.jpg

Price?
Riding comfort (depends on the actual rider)?
YOU have to tell us why your choice is a good one.

Loosely speaking, BMW is a costly thing to buy and to maintain. Honda is not too far behind with regards to costs too.
This BMW btw looks heavy.

the bike you got Rocker is a much better bike.

as for the nc it would be nice if it had a fairing on. but then it wouldn't be a bargain bike!

Price? - maybe a 10% premium on the NC700X for the full fairing - but having said that it could be based on the S as it wouldn't need the suspension travel.
The extra disk at the front needn't be there and the single sided swing arm is nice but probably unnecessary weight, The belt probably saves some over a chain.
All that presumably unused fresh air under the 'tank' probably keeps the weight down ;)
weight is 213 kg whereas the NC700X with auto and ABS is 222kg and I guess with full fairing might be about 230kg
wheelbase on the BMW 1514mm and on the NC700S it's 1525mm so handling should be similar - probably better on the Honda because of the lower weight

Over here in the North West USA, the cost of the BMW 800GT will be almost twice the cost of the NC700X.

The cost of accessories, tax and license, a real advantage for the Honda.
The BMW does look like a nice package.

Art

I rode one last week at Daytona. While the weight may be comparable to the NC the weight is carried somewhat higher and coupled with either a taller seat height or stiffer suspension which did not settle under me made the GT seem much heavier than my NC. It is felt pushing it up off the side stand and at low speeds. The engine had got lots more power which was nice.

Wozz ... I'm not saying I'd rather buy a BMW 800GT, just saying that it wouldn't be difficult for Honda to make a NC variant that filled the niche better than the BMW and at a lower price.
Mike

In a fashion they have. The NT700V. For some reason, probably the looks and the size of the engine, it just did not sell well. It got great reviews from the press, and the riders who bought them loved them. They are still at some dealers sitting with discounted prices.

Art

Wozz ... I'm not saying I'd rather buy a BMW 800GT, just saying that it wouldn't be difficult for Honda to make a NC variant that filled the niche better than the BMW and at a lower price.
Mike

Oh I agree it's a very pretty looking machine, but with Honda you just know it's going to be welll engineered and reliable. BMW just haven't got the quality control they used to have in years gone by. The belt drive really appeals to me though. :)

NT700V or as we know it the Deauville is a steady seller in the UK. Having had 3 Deauvilles 2 x 60 and 1 700 I must admit if anything happened to my NC I would seriously consider returning to a Deauville which apart from price and fuel consumption is to my mind superior to the NC.

Well I don't care to buy/own a BMW. but I'll take that burnt orange color over my grey NC anyday.

Greg

Personally I have no problem choosing a BMW over a Honda if the cost difference is under say 10%.
I still believe BMW is a better built quality and I have not yet gotten a rotten service like many people said here or elsewhere.
In Switzerland, riding a small BMW is not prestigious. Riding a big one, say 1200GS or 1000RR or 1200GT, is.

I had probably said this many times, but if I were to ride 2-up, I'd sell away the NCX and get a GS or a real comfy Tourer (not Goldwings cos that is a Starship not a bike).

For the purpose of cheap grins and fun at a super good price, NCX is hard to beat. I mean, I have not found a better deal. Have you?
:p

That wee looks good on a white background not so sure how it would look in traffic?
BigE "Frick I am so tired of winter, bla, bla, bla."

Oh I agree it's a very pretty looking machine, but with Honda you just know it's going to be welll engineered and reliable. BMW just haven't got the quality control they used to have in years gone by. The belt drive really appeals to me though. :)

I certainly agree with you about BMW quality not being what it was back in the days of the airheads but on the other hand in those days a Beemer cost a lot more than the equivalant Japanese bikes

Back