• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BMW 800GT - or a Honda NC700 GT?

Personally I have no problem choosing a BMW over a Honda if the cost difference is under say 10%.
I still believe BMW is a better built quality and I have not yet gotten a rotten service like many people said here or elsewhere.
In Switzerland, riding a small BMW is not prestigious. Riding a big one, say 1200GS or 1000RR or 1200GT, is.

I had probably said this many times, but if I were to ride 2-up, I'd sell away the NCX and get a GS or a real comfy Tourer (not Goldwings cos that is a Starship not a bike).

For the purpose of cheap grins and fun at a super good price, NCX is hard to beat. I mean, I have not found a better deal. Have you?
:p

Most of my BMW riding friends have had to return their bikes to dealers for warranty work at least once.
No real prestige in riding a BMW over here as they are quite common unlike back in '73 when I bought my first one. On my first trip out more than one person was heard to comment something like "look it's a BMW"

NT700V or as we know it the Deauville is a steady seller in the UK. Having had 3 Deauvilles 2 x 60 and 1 700 I must admit if anything happened to my NC I would seriously consider returning to a Deauville which apart from price and fuel consumption is to my mind superior to the NC.

It may be the case that the Deauville, or Dullville may be superior at one or two things, mainly on the weather protection/touring side. But it is such an utterly boring bike to ride with completely flat acceleration. I for one couldn't live with that because they are so totally unexciting. If it was the only bike available to buy on the market I'd give up motorcycling. Sorry :(

I guess we are all some different. What is boring to me has to do with the the road and how many times I've been there etc. If the motorcycle shifts great and runs well and can take a corner to the edges of the tires and doesn't do scary things in crappy corners then I like riding it. If a machine needs traction control more than likely I don't want it.

Art

At the age of 50 I have come like boring,reliable motorcycles.
I have had around 40+ bikes in 40+ years and the older I get the more I like RIDING than what I'm riding.
I bought the X for 2 reasons
1..Fuel economy
2..It's a Honda !!.
I had a DL1000 that I traded in,it was faster,got less mpg's,needed more attention..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to Northwestrider. "I have come like boring,reliable motorcycles."

The acceleration of a fast bike is thrilling...but how many times can I do that? And how many times can I explore what some of the faster bikes will give me...and keep my license? I entered my bike in a car and bike show for charity once. The guy next to me had a Ducati. He mentioned to someone looking at it, that it wasn't fun till you got past 100. I was coming back from Mt. Baker and Artist Point one time and we had this really nice guy on a ...hmm, Ducati again, I believe. Sport bike anyway. He rode with us for awhile, then passed us...about five times. He couldn't ride it for more than a half hour without his wrists giving out, and he was pretty young.

To me, the thrill of riding isn't about how fast I can get to the speed limit, but in what the bike feels like under me responding to my every thought. There's something about the feeling of the air around you, choosing a line into a turn and then leaning into it that makes me feel so alive. Even last year when I did the SS1000 and I was heading home on I-90 felt awesome. To see the sky at sunset that night, with some clouds coming in over the Cascade mountains that I was heading for...it was awesome.

So power...a bike like the NC700X has more than enough for me. And I'd much rather ride, than sit in a dealership getting my bike fixed...under warranty or not.

Chris

Some of you guys have got my meaning wrong. I like reliable bikes as well, I just want a bit of pep. I don't mean sport bike acceleration ( I past that stage years ago. I'm 53 and have been riding bikes for just under 40 years).

The NC700 has fairly peppy acceleration and is quite fun to ride at not very high speeds, whereas the Deauville
is dull as ditchwater. It's not nicknamed the DullVille for nothing.

Wozza.... I'm 53 and have been riding bikes for just under 40 years
aye ya just a young pup! so when didya start riding then 14??

if ya counting push bikes then I must have been riding since I wer free(3)so that make it 58 years on two wheels.
Smug%20Git.gif

Wozza.... I'm 53 and have been riding bikes for just under 40 years
aye ya just a young pup! so when didya start riding then 14??

if ya counting push bikes then I must have been riding since I wer free(3)so that make it 58 years on two wheels.
Smug%20Git.gif

We'll I did say under 40.....:) I was riding an old 200 scooter on tracks before the age of 16, and got my first road legal moped at 16. :)

NT700V or as we know it the Deauville is a steady seller in the UK. Having had 3 Deauvilles 2 x 60 and 1 700 I must admit if anything happened to my NC I would seriously consider returning to a Deauville which apart from price and fuel consumption is to my mind superior to the NC.
I took a very serious (and got to take a test ride. :D) on a Deauville when they first came Stateside. I really liked the bike for its functionality and comfort, but NOT it's price. I still look through Cycle trader from time to time, looking for a deal on one close by.

As I get older, I think the old adage of, "Better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow." really resonates with me. I currently have a Buell Ulysses XT as my primary touring bike. It is really not that much fun to ride below 45mph due to engine heat and it's miserable to ride below 25mph due to heat and engine surging! Now riding fast through the curves is tons of fun! But really, how much of that do you really do on tour? For me, I think its better to have a reliable and comfortable bike that does everything well but excels at nothing. (Not to mention dealer support!)

This is why I am considering a purchase of the NC700XD this Spring and selling off both the Buell, Nighthawk and DR650.

Hey Mike 1500. My wife and I rode both bikes last season,hers the S and mine was the same as the pic, f800 gt. Mine ended up being almost twice the price. There is no way you can even remotely expect the same machine. Forget that they're motorcycles and assume they were cars. C ould any one expect a 15k honda to be similar to a 30 bmw,no. people need to ask themselves not whitch bike they want but what TYPE of bike they want. The beemer was not twice as good as the 700 but the honda wasn't a mispriced $15,000 machine either. Liked them both.

Personally I have no problem choosing a BMW over a Honda if the cost difference is under say 10%.
I still believe BMW is a better built quality and I have not yet gotten a rotten service like many people said here or elsewhere.
In Switzerland, riding a small BMW is not prestigious. Riding a big one, say 1200GS or 1000RR or 1200GT, is.

I had probably said this many times, but if I were to ride 2-up, I'd sell away the NCX and get a GS or a real comfy Tourer (not Goldwings cos that is a Starship not a bike).

For the purpose of cheap grins and fun at a super good price, NCX is hard to beat. I mean, I have not found a better deal. Have you?

Where do you get the better built? I've had a R100RS (euro police edition), which after 7000 miles, sold it and used my dads 84 GL1100 std (no bags fairing) which was so much more comfortable, and the electronics so much better. Ego drove me to BMW K75RTA which I rode for 40k+ miles and ended up replacing trans, and lots of other non consumables. My wife would not even ride on back even with $$$ added better windshield. I had to get a GL1800 for her to ride with me and she has been on the back 66k of the 103K miles, with no break downs or replacements except for brake pads, light bulbs, air filters, (one relay), and lots of tires.

When I was at the BMW rally in Durango Co., my riding partner and I (also on a R100RS) ran into two GoldWing riders at the laundry (BMW riders need to look sharp) and asked about the tools they carried as they were on a across the US and back trip. The one showed me a factory tool kit (did not look used much) and a spare Headlight and tail light bulb, and the other showed me a similar setup with tire plug kit and both had over 50k miles on the bikes. We were surprised as we had used our kit (more than most have in their garage) to change out a dio board on his and minor carb adjustments on mine.

On the GL1800 I've had very few riders really blow me away (except sport bikes) and the fear off-road with the Wing, even did well on Deals gap several times, but never let me down or needed the tool kit I have (BMW habits are hard to break probably the only Wing with a Torque wrench onboard) except to assist other riders.

One of my buds is a retired Aircraft mechanic and sold me his DL650 when I started looking for smaller kinda off-road bike, to buy a R1200GS. He had it only 6 months and 20K miles and sold it as he did not like the maintenance issues and was concerned with future failures. With 9 bikes in the garage he knows his mechanical issues. Course when he bought a new Yamaha Tenere I wondered about him but he seems very satisfied.

I do miss the maintenance free shaft drive on the NC but understand the cost issues and how maybe a belt drive would not be as good on off-road as the chain, but go back to a BMW and the $$ cost of parts and the maintenance issues when you put more than 10k a year on them nah, I'll stick to Honda.

At the age of 50 I have come like boring,reliable motorcycles.
I have had around 40+ bikes in 40+ years and the older I get the more I like RIDING than what I'm riding.

A little year ago when I contemplated my next motorcycle purchase I was struck by my almost capricious assortment of my considerations. Nothing really tied them together; they were not all that similar, but each had a certain appeal. I became intrigued at different times by the California 1400, the V7 Stone with Stucchi fairing, the BMW F800GT, the Ducati Hyperstrada, the Honda NC700X, the Triumph 800 and a couple more. I ended up with the Honda.

With such disparate tastes and inclinations, I have wondered what is it about each motorcycle or even motorcycles in general that intrigues me. I find most motorcycles purposefully beautiful and many, works of art. I have owned several motorcycle over the years and have ridden many more of varying styles. I don’t recall riding anything I particularly disliked. Certainly I have thrown my leg over motorcycles that did not fit my ideals or even fit physically and subsequently my ride expectations were lowered. But the funny thing is, I always enjoyed the ride.

At the time I was particularly interested in the new Moto Guzzi California 1400 and other’s opinions of the same fascinated me. Many found fault in the weight of the bike, or the size as many found fault with certain aspects of the NC700X. I can empathize as I have generally gravitated to lighter cars and bikes. At that time I was riding a Moto Guzzi California EVT in part because my wife liked to ride with me occasionally and it was a good two up ride and in part because I just liked Moto Guzzi’s. If not, I would have probably looked for something leaner. But I have learned that weight in and of itself is not the enemy. I grew up with British sports cars. Even after marriage and family, I tended to have smaller sportier cars. Then I saw the Porsche 928, truly one of the most beautifully designed cars of the past 50 years to my eye. After a Toyota MR2 , which still occupies a special place in my heart, and a Miata, all the while lusting after the 928, I decided to take the plunge. A couple of my “sports car” friends voiced their wonder over why I would give up my sports cars for such an “overweight pig”. Well that “overweight pig” was sublime. It was expensive to buy and maintain, but that six years of ownership ruined me for auto marketers. Now nothing out there speaks to me in a way that makes me lust after a new car. Motorcycles are different and though I used to lust after many of them, I enjoyed the ride on most any of them. The foregoing notwithstanding, my choice of ride would ultimately be tailored to my riding needs and further my one up needs as I would consider a second bike later for two up touring.

Recently my wife and I drove from Denver to Jackson Hole. We covered the 250+ mile stretch between Cheyenne and Rock Springs on I-80. You guys know Wyoming can be and usually is windy don’t you? We followed a Yamaha FJR at 80 mph speeds most of the way. Now the FJR is not what one would call a lightweight bike, but we watched the rider struggle with the crosswinds for over two hours and figured he would be bone tired when he reached his destination. If ever there was a place for a Goldwing, this was it and in fact I saw a seemingly disproportionate number of them in Colorado and Wyoming when there. In my mind, a small bike would not be the proper tool to cover those wide open spaces, at least by interstate. Conversely, riding a Moto Guzzi V7 or Honda NC700X here in the southeastern mountains makes more sense to me.

A motorcycle is a tool, a beautiful, immersive, magnificent, empowering tool, one that offers nearly unfettered involvement with the world around it. Seeing this beautiful country in a car is like standing outside a tavern window and watching the people dance, drink, talk and have fun while doing so on a motorcycle is like being inside, engaged in the experience. To me, riding a motorcycle is a transcendental experience and to the degree the motorcycle disappears beneath me, the better and more encompassing it becomes. A year with the Honda NC700X has proven my choice was a good one. I don't seem to lust after other rides much anymore, except maybe a new 1200GS for two up touring.

I really liked your post and it seems I would fancy being in your motoring shoes!
How does the NC engine feel to a Guzzi guy?
When I first heard a youtube video of an aftermarket NC exhaust I immediately heard similarities and from what I see there must be some around: emulated V2 90 deg, low center of gravity over long wheelbase and lazy geometry. A Guzzi guy mentioned the NC has a comparable usable rpm range, just around 2k rpm lower.
How do you find they compare, engine and handling wise? And that intoxicating engine note?

"A motorcycle is a tool, a beautiful, immersive, magnificent, empowering tool, one that offers nearly unfettered involvement with the world around it. Seeing this beautiful country in a car is like standing outside a tavern window and watching the people dance, drink, talk and have fun while doing so on a motorcycle is like being inside, engaged in the experience. To me, riding a motorcycle is a transcendental experience and to the degree the motorcycle disappears beneath me, the better and more encompassing it becomes."
That paragraph is one of the best descriptive images I've read. I enjoyed reading the rest of the post too but that paragraph sums up the difference between riding and driving as best I have heard it done. Thank you.

I still have a soft spot for Guzzi's. If there are similarities between the two, it would have to be with the small blocks. I had a V65SP at one time and it was the closest thing to the NC but not all that close. Most Guzzi's like to rev and you are rewarded with a surge in power when you do. That's exactly the opposite of the NC motor. It does better with short shifting. The NC motor is far smoother and quieter and a much better companion when spending long days in the saddle. If I rode 300 miles on the Guzzi I would inevitably be tired and hot when I dismounted for the day. With the NC far less so. It is amazing the toll that the heat, vibration and weight of the big block Guzzi take on your body on a long day's ride. I haven't ridden the new small blocks so I will not comment on them. I am always more relaxed, with a better sense of well being, when on the NC.

Thanks for all your comments. I have a NC S for a year and a half and 60000kms. I am extremely happy with it. Nevertheless my eyes go to the Deauville. It is a pity that its no longer produced. Still, to me it is a wonderful machine. The BMW F800 GT is a beautiful machine, but I do not need 90hp.
Vssss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have a soft spot for Guzzi's. If there are similarities between the two, it would have to be with the small blocks. I had a V65SP at one time and it was the closest thing to the NC but not all that close. Most Guzzi's like to rev and you are rewarded with a surge in power when you do. That's exactly the opposite of the NC motor. It does better with short shifting. The NC motor is far smoother and quieter and a much better companion when spending long days in the saddle. If I rode 300 miles on the Guzzi I would inevitably be tired and hot when I dismounted for the day. With the NC far less so. It is amazing the toll that the heat, vibration and weight of the big block Guzzi take on your body on a long day's ride. I haven't ridden the new small blocks so I will not comment on them. I am always more relaxed, with a better sense of well being, when on the NC.

You don't need to short shift as much on the new 750 models due to the wider gearing. The 750 definitely seems to rev out more even though it's still a 6500 red line.

It's like asking whether one fancies a blonde or a redhead. Wife or girlfriend? Cost versus function.
No offense meant to any female reading this. Apologies. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It's like asking whether one fancies a blonde or a redhead. Wife or girlfriend? Cost versus function.
No offense meant to any female reading this. Apologies. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Great politically correct quote. I guess when it all said and done being on a bike even when it is acting up is better than being in a cage, well unless the cage is like a 928 .... :)

Back