• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bolt ons and gained HP.

So possible area's of improvement:
- Free flow intake filter
- Get rid of the Cat / add aftermarket exhaust
- Couple more teeth on the back sprocket for more go off the line at the expense of higher rpm at cruise
- Swap a lithium battery in place of the lead acid chunk for weight savings. Side benefit of lowering the center of gravity as the battery is fairly high up.
- Duct tape muzzle for the nay sayers...

So possible area's of improvement:
- Free flow intake filter
- Get rid of the Cat / add aftermarket exhaust
- Couple more teeth on the back sprocket for more go off the line at the expense of higher rpm at cruise
- Swap a lithium battery in place of the lead acid chunk for weight savings. Side benefit of lowering the center of gravity as the battery is fairly high up.
- Duct tape muzzle for the nay sayers...

Yep, lighter rear sprocket, lighter wheels and brake rotors, remove passenger footpegs (if you can), fender eliminator. It all adds up but can get expensive really fast

Yep, lighter rear sprocket, lighter wheels and brake rotors, remove passenger footpegs (if you can), fender eliminator. It all adds up but can get expensive really fast

Yup then I sit my 275# butt on the seat and all the weight savings and $$$ spent mean nothing!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the time ever comes I need to do any sort of engine rebuild on this thing, it will be bigger pistons and a cam.

Unfortunately no products as mentioned above are available at this time. Really I am not even sure you can bore this motor out, or put a different cam in it? I would have to tear it down to see for myself.

I don't think getting a hot cam in this bike would be un-realistic. I'm a little confused myself as to why Honda timed each cylinder a bit different, makes me think that one jug runs better than the other. In an economy minded bike that seems a little odd, why not make them both run "better" and get more power and fuel economy as a result?

I don't think getting a hot cam in this bike would be un-realistic. I'm a little confused myself as to why Honda timed each cylinder a bit different, makes me think that one jug runs better than the other. In an economy minded bike that seems a little odd, why not make them both run "better" and get more power and fuel economy as a result?

The cam timing difference is not to make one cylinder work better than the other, it's to make them both work the same. The 270 degree crank along with the common air intake presents a challenge in getting the air flow consistent between the the two cylinders. Read about it on the Web.

As for boring out the cylinders, as mentioned in an earlier post, apparently Honda was able to do it. The assumption, since the method has not yet been disclosed, is that the upcoming NC750 will have a slightly bigger cylinder bore.
Greg

Last edited:
For the heck of it, I emailed Wiseco this morning about the possibility of them making pistons for the NC. Seems like you should be able to do a 25 over or something, increase the compression some. I also shot webcamshafts an email as well to see if they were developing anything for the NC.

I run a webcamshaft #41 in my CB750 with superflow valves, although that was with the 50 over EMGO piston kit (which I didn't like). In the 915 motor I run an Andrews cam, I forget the # but it is the weakest one they make and slightly better than stock. I plan on putting another 970 motor together combining the best of the 2 motors this winter, and I will of course post a video of building this monster motor like I did with the other 970 I built.

The cam timing difference is not to make one cylinder work better than the other, it's to make them both work the same. The 270 degree crank along with the common air intake presents a challenge in getting the air flow consistent between the the two cylinders. Read about it on the Web.

As for boring out the cylinders, as mentioned in an earlier post, apparently Honda was able to do it. The assumption, since the method has not yet been disclosed, is that the upcoming NC750 will have a slightly bigger cylinder bore.
Greg

Point me in the direction where I can read this stuff, because all the internet would tell me was it was for character and to give the engine a more "lumpy" feel.

Point me in the direction where I can read this stuff, because all the internet would tell me was it was for character and to give the engine a more "lumpy" feel.

That is why it has a 270 degree crank, but that is not why it has an asymmetrical camshaft.

I just now Googled "honda nc700 cam different". As one quick example, the seventh paragraph in this article Honda NC700X | Ash On Bikes mentions the reason. A better source would be some Honda engineering articles but I (you :)) would need to search for them.

Excerpt from Kevin Ash: A single throttle body is used to feed both cylinders, and because a 270 degree crank is used, this means the pressure in the inlet tract is different when the valves in each cylinder open. The solution is to have more overlap on one cylinder than the other… the cam timing is different for each cylinder, to ensure they end up working the same amount.

Greg

Last edited:
I'm going the OTHER direction.I will be adding about 30+lbs to my bike over the winter!!.The X goes plenty fast for me but I need more protection for offroad so it's getting REAL crash bars,skid plate,ammo cans with a guard going around them and a headlight guard..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back