• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Break-in complete, surprised by the acceleration.

MichaelJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I was on a nice flat stretch of road between two twisty sections (Crow Canyon Road for those of you that know the Bay Area) when the bike turned over 300 miles. I had been anxiously awaiting the moment and the second it hit 300 I pinned it. I was rolling along at about 50 and I have been really good during break-in so I was pleasantly surprised when it kicked down 2 gears and pulled pretty darn hard. I had never accelerated hard enough to make it kick down so this was a new experience. The rest of the ride home was a blast with me hitting the throttle-stop all over the place. It felt like I was let out of jail. I think that one of the things that helps the NC's acceleration is my weight which is only 150 pounds. As I have mentioned before my other bike is a Zero SR which is very, very quick. Even compared to that the NC still feels quick enough for me. In fact, I have been riding it much more than the Zero. It is such a balanced and fun to ride bike, and it just eats up freeway miles. A crotch rocket it is not, but it's not slow.

didn't know the dct shifted down like that when called on.

Certainly. Otherwise you'd lug the motor w/the higher power setting; not good for the bearings. Any automatic will downshift when the throttle is depressed hard.
I'm still in the break-in period on my DCT and find both auto modes not shifting to my liking but enjoy the manual set up better anyway. It's kind of neat being able to up and down shift w/o changing the throttle setting.

after my first year of riding on the dct, I started using the S mode. I like the S mode for city riding. For the highway i use the D mode.
Once in a while, I like to shift it myself.

Ken

I found that it took about 4000 miles to really break in the engine.
Yes the dct will respond rather fast to what you give it. I also like to use manual mode at least half the time being able to shift when I feel is appropriate for the ride. For just a little while I was thinking I should have gone with the manual shift bike but I'm glad I didn't. Shifting while keeping the throttle steady is a nice feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind purchasing a clutch, but with the dct it gives you the versatility of switching.
Thats why I went with the nc. No other manufacturer has that.
The fact is.... I won't stall out if I don't have a clutch ;)

for me, break in took over 3000 miles, i have not really change my riding habits. my gas mileage started to get better after 2k, less vibration on the handle bar and pegs.

I would still take it easy until a least you get that first oil change. you have tons of little flaky metal piece in the oil.

why do you think they ask you to change the oil at 600? maybe to make more money, maybe to remove the metal pieces? maybe both.....

I'm somewhat familiar with that area. I lived in Dublin about 20yrs ago. Plus after getting out of active duty from the army I did some time in the reserves at Camp Parks. I know I've been on the road on a bicycle, but that was over 20yrs ago. Ride safe!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would still take it easy until a least you get that first oil change. you have tons of little flaky metal piece in the oil.

why do you think they ask you to change the oil at 600? maybe to make more money, maybe to remove the metal pieces? maybe both.....

Not to start an oil thread, but I'm always one to look at things from different angles and ask questions. If keeping the revs low during break in is so important, and if the new engine metal shavings are a huge issue and require a 600 mile oil change, why are both of these seemingly ultra important things totally ignored in the automobile world?

Not to start an oil thread, but I'm always one to look at things from different angles and ask questions. If keeping the revs low during break in is so important, and if the new engine metal shavings are a huge issue and require a 600 mile oil change, why are both of these seemingly ultra important things totally ignored in the automobile world?

people ignore it, but it is also in the manual of cars, people just dont really read the manual, when you buy a new there is a break in procedure, but they just dont require you to change the oil. that i dont know why......

Here?s Why Your BMW M5 Uses a Lot of Oil

^ check this article out

people ignore it, but it is also in the manual of cars, people just dont really read the manual, when you buy a new there is a break in procedure, but they just dont require you to change the oil. that i dont know why......

^ check this article out

Ha! Well that's a BMW so it doesn't surprise me that it's trouble prone.

OTOH, my company van, a Dodge Caravan, was NOT babied at break in, and did NOT have a 600 mile oil change. The FIRST oil change was at 10,000 miles. Now at 50,000 miles, with oil changes every 10,000 (mineral, not synthetic), the engine consumes no oil between changes, and run flawlessly. Hmmm.

OK, sorry I digressed and brought up the oil subject. I will now be quiet.

Last edited:

^ check this article out
Funny you should post that, I have an F10 M5 and yes there is a break-in period followed by an oil change. Opinions on the M5 forum vary wildly on how one should handle break-in. Some say follow the manual, 1200 miles of easy driving, don't exceed 4000 rpm. Others say drive it like you stole it from day one. Still others say that the first 20 miles are critical and during that time you should be running up and down through the gears using compression as much as possible to seat the rings. Each camp says its way is the best way and proves it by lack of oil burning. It's enough to make you crazy. I broke mine in per factory recommendations - 1200 miles of easy driving. it does burn a little oil, but not too much. I figure that I'm not smarter than BMW or Honda so I just follow the book. if Honda tells me that 300 miles is good enough, then 300 miles it is. Besides, with its low-revving engine I doubt that there is very much we can do to hurt it...and it's a Honda after all.

I just rolled over 3000 miles this weekend, and I will agree, I noticed the millage getting better as well since the first 1000. I love the 2 modes with the DCT (I don't do full manual, haven't found a need to). In D, I just cruise, and spend most of my time here. I have used Sport mode in twisties, as it doesn't upshift so quickly. Really allows for great acceleration through turns. With both modes, I can up or down shift whenever, pretty much not requiring me to go full manual at all.

^ check this article out

Think about it this way, a motorcycle has all of the transmission (think gears engaging and meshing, with power applied, wet clutch) and Motor in 1 common oil bath, many more interfacing parts, much more ability to create the small metal bits. More than just the piston compression/cam drive, and a few other parts in an automobile engine. Personally I do an oil change on my Subaru's when I reach the first 1000 (MFR recommends 3K). look at it this way, it's like an insurance payment for your engine, sure, no guarantee, but there seldom is....

I like being in full manual all the time. The bike down shifts to first when coming to a stop, so all I do is toggle shift up through the gears w/steady throttle, never having to toggle any down shifts.
It's very easy to hold this bike in a steady state while riding in slow stop and go traffic. A good rider is able to to run straight w/o any weaving in very slow traffic. The NC w/DCT makes this easy to do.

Years ago, I rode behind a BMW road captain at a demo event, who was the rider featured in a national BMW GS TV ad at the time. I will always remember how steady he rode that bike, w/not the slightest weave at even 1 MPH.
I also saw him slam the brakes on a K12LT on gravel from about 50 MPH to demo their ABS. He was a very small statured person but very smooth on a bike.

I'm an automotive service manager.oil consumption is not just something prone to bmw.for example corvettes brought brand new and correctly put through their break in periods. They were having owners burning 3 to 4 qrts of oil between lof changes. Chevrolets response to this...
That's normal oil consumption.so this is a very broad subject. Which can probably be debated forever.

I'm an automotive service manager.oil consumption is not just something prone to bmw.for example corvettes brought brand new and correctly put through their break in periods. They were having owners burning 3 to 4 qrts of oil between lof changes. Chevrolets response to this...
That's normal oil consumption.so this is a very broad subject. Which can probably be debated forever.

So you are comparing GM's reliability to BMW's poor reputation. Makes sense to me.

In a weak moment I considered a Chevy truck a few years back. With less than 10 miles on odometer it broke down. Told salesman where it was, gave him the keys and never looked back.

Today I was on a nice flat stretch of road between two twisty sections (Crow Canyon Road for those of you that know the Bay Area) when the bike turned over 300 miles. I had been anxiously awaiting the moment and the second it hit 300 I pinned it. I was rolling along at about 50 and I have been really good during break-in so I was pleasantly surprised when it kicked down 2 gears and pulled pretty darn hard. I had never accelerated hard enough to make it kick down so this was a new experience. The rest of the ride home was a blast with me hitting the throttle-stop all over the place. It felt like I was let out of jail. I think that one of the things that helps the NC's acceleration is my weight which is only 150 pounds. As I have mentioned before my other bike is a Zero SR which is very, very quick. Even compared to that the NC still feels quick enough for me. In fact, I have been riding it much more than the Zero. It is such a balanced and fun to ride bike, and it just eats up freeway miles. A crotch rocket it is not, but it's not slow.

And the 750 is even better...!!

Glad you're enjoying your NC.

Yep, not surprising. Normal for them, but not for the industry. Both brands have poor reputations.

Last edited:
Back