• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bugs: how do you deal with them?

Wildfire

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. I was wondering what you guys do to deal with bugs when you ride.

I recently did a 800km round trip and since it's spring in Saskatchewan the bugs were out. I didn't bring anything with me to clean my helmet visor on the ride and by the time I made it to Prince Albert (240km) I could barely see. I grabbed some vinegar packets and napkins from a Burger King and it worked pretty well to clean the shield and didn't seem to hurt anything.

There has to be a better option than riding around with fast food vinegar packs in my pocket. What do you guys use to clean your visors during a ride? Is there some sort of cleaning spray that works well or just put some vinegar in a spray bottle and get hungry for fish and chips every time I clean my visor.

The bike and my riding suit are also quite encrusted with bug guts. I am guessing it's a warm soapy water, a rag or bristle brush, and some elbow grease to clean the suit but can I just blast the front of the bike with a high pressure washer? Or will that damage the finish on the plastics?

Thanks

Wildfire

I have a small spray bottle with plain water and some napkins in an old "tupperware" sandwich holder, the water does fine if you don't wait until they're baked on.

My understanding is you don't every want to wash a bike with a pressure washer. Forces moisture into areas it wasn't meant to go.

Never had that many bugs...you lucky fella :)

When I travel internationally I take baby wet wipes with me. They have sticky closures that keeps them from drying out and smell purdy. Never tried them on my helmet but then have not met as many bugs ;)

Mark Lawrence [email protected] suggests:

Motorcycle info at calsci.com

"go to WalMart and buy a gallon of Peak Windshield Cleaner (blue), about $1, and a gallon of Peak Bug Remover / RainX (green), about $1.50. Mix them 50-50 and use that on your motorcycle and in your car."

...and that's exactly what I did. I filled up an old spray bottle that I keep in the garage and a cute little spray bottle that the optician gives me when I go for an eye exam. I keep this little bottle on the bike with a micro fibre cloth.

1.jpg

'They' say don't use paper products to clean your glasses. Napkins, tissues and paper towels have fillers added to them (fillers apparently cheaper than paper pulp) these fillers can scratch your lenses. Visors are softer than glasses so would also be scratched by paper products, you will get tons of very fine scratches that will eventually make your whole windscreen look dull and old.

However Mark has a fix for that too: Motorcycle Fairings and Windshields

I'll try to find a pic or make a new one........I have zip tied to my handlebar mount a tennis ball that I've cut a flap into it on the top. Inside the tennis ball is a sponge. Pour water in the tennis ball, it is water tight, and now I have a wet sponge to use on my helmet visor on the fly. I also usually keep a small microfiber towel in a pocket I can use on the fly after the wet sponge. Bug splats right in the middle of the visor, pull out the sponge and wipe it off without having to stop. Riding in farming area in the spring when they have tracked mud on the road and an 18 wheeler passes right at one of those spots coating you in mud to where you can't see, sponge to the rescue.

A mini spray bottle with windshield washer fluid. What a brilliantly simple idea.

I hadn't considered RainX to make removing the splatters easier but I bet it would work. I have never seen it in summer fluid but don't see why I can't add a few drops of concentrate into generic pink washer fluid.

And xne on the pressure washer. Check.

I can try to avoid paper. I have microfibre cloths that I got cheap from Canadian tire. I like that sponge in a tennis ball idea. I will have to see if I can find a tennis ball lying around.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
On the subject of RainX, the Madstad website specifically says do not use RainX on their windsheilds.

From FAQ

Q: What should I use to clean my MADSTAD windshield?

You can use just about any standard windshield cleaner on our cast acrylic shields, but avoid any product that contains alcohol. To remove sticky bugs and tar we've used orange-oil based cleaners like Goo-Gone, Citrus Cleaner or similar, and Meguiar's PlastX which both cleans and polishes out light scratches. You can get that stuff at most auto parts stores like Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone (in the car polishes section). After cleaning, if you want the ultimate shine we would recommend All Kleer as the final step (the version made for motorcycles).

ANTI-RAIN: Rain-X is NOT recommended for use on our shields because it contains alcohol. There is another product called RejeX Polymer Sealant that is recommended for acrylics, so use that instead. It is available online.

Man, some of you guys are very creative. We have lots of bugs here in Arkansas. I usually just use my glove. It works quite well to wipe bugs clean. I do carry a small bottle of plain old water and a piece of an old t-shirt in the funk for those occasions when I encounter a huge bug splatter in the middle of the face shield.

As for the plastics on the bike. When I lived in Louisiana we had to deal with love bugs. I was always told to use Bounce Dryer sheets to remove the bugs and they work pretty dang good. Seems like an odd suggestion but it does work. At least it did for me. I don't think it caused any paint issues.

I use only plastic cleaners and microfiber towels. Otherwise your plastics may get scratched and/or cloudy. Never use gas station paper towels as they are like sandpaper.

What works for me is I have a microfiber towel stuffed in the gas fill hole of Dales pillion seat rack. For those bug splat emergencies on the road, I can reach behind me and grab the towel.

The guys on the scooter forums use Pledge furniture wipes in those recloseable packets. I have some and they seem to work pretty good. However, this thread has me thinking the wipes may be making micro-scratches. I think going with small spray bottle and micro fiber cloth a better idea.
I have seen Bamamates tennis ball set up. It is a good one.

I keep a wet micro fiber towel in a zip lock plastic bag and during bug weather I keep a bottle of water on the bike. The micro fiber towels hold a lot of water. A soaking wet towel laid over the wind screen or the face shield and left for 15 minutes or so will loosen up the dead bugs. Hydrogen Peroxide works well to remove dead bugs also. You can usually find a small, 8 ounces or so, spray bottle of it at Walmart or the big chain drug stores.

I carry a small spray bottle of 50/50 mix of water and denatured alcohol ... it's what I use on LED screens (computer, tv, etc.). You'll find conflicting info on lots of cleaning fluids for acrylic and polycarb plastics, but I've never had a problem with this 50/50 mix, and it's cheap and effective.

Water from a water bottle on a soft cloth and also a can of Pledge All Surface polish. Works on metal, plastic or glass. Anything most except products with ammonia in them. I carry water and I carry Pledge. Paper towels on finish and rag on windshield.

Back