• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Buyer's Regret?? Got me some sidecases!

TonySilver

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright Everybody, I need your opinion. Let's just be gentle, please.

So, I got me some GIVI side cases that came from a Triumph Tiger. One was a 36 and the other one a 42. I think the difference in size is because of the Tiger's exhaust. Anyways, I paid $311.00 USD (shipping, really gets you). I did not rush to the buy, at the moment of me betting on the item, I thought that I could live with that amount.

Still, now a couple of hours later, and I am thinking about it. The main reason for me to pull the trigger was because they came with all the set up (meaning racks and bolts). Still, this is what is needed for a tiger '07 to be exact. I "analyzed" the pictures closely, and I think that the rack might fit the NC. If not, I am thinking of making some mods to make them fit! I did ask the seller some information but seller did not reply, still they had great feedback.

So this is my thinking logic, if I am able to fit the rack with the side cases then, I think I got a great deal. However, if they do NOT fit with that particular rack, I think I will be visiting some places where I can unload the rack that came from the Triumph Tiger. And then my great idea will not work because I might have ended up overpaying, and I will still need to locate a mounting rack for the cases.

So, what do you think??

Here is a pic, just so you get an idea.
GiviSideCases.jpg

How much would it have cost you to buy brand-new bags and mounting gear that actually fit your bike?

Alright Everybody, I need your opinion. Let's just be gentle, please.

Well, I think you screwed the pooch, on multiple counts.

• Trying to make the Triumph rack work will only cost you time/money, and more like than not, be substandard to the correct rack.
  • Asymmetric sized cases will look a bit funky when there's no reason for it. (NC700x muffler is low, not high)
  • Givi E36 E45 really aren't that expensive when new... (~165 MSRP each)

So what to do... what to do...

Relist them on ebay. You need to accept you may loose money on the whole transaction. But learn from the experience, make better buying decisions. Research everything. Compare prices. Refrain from bidding "in the moment". Look to see what others are using on their bikes. Ask questions when in doubt.

Last edited:
Yeah, what CW1 said covers it pretty good. I would not invest any more $$$ trying to make those cases fit. You learned a lesson, move on. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

Those look like SW Mototech universal flat-back racks for Givi bags. You'll need a kit to fit them to the NC700X or cobble up something to work. Someone using the SWMT racks can chime in. Givi stuff works so well it would seem to me to be not a good idea to try and make something work when the "designed for" stuff bolts up so neat and easy.

The thing with E36 bags is that Givi discontinued them last year. If there are any to be found they are remaining stock only. I bought some in March and they were hard to find new in the box. The E36 bags are the same as the 45s except for the lids which are available from Givi as a separate part. The 800 does use a smaller bag on the left side but I seem to recall the exhaust passes between the rack and the bike, not between the rack and bag. Are those racks mirror image of each other? If not and the left one has room for the Triumph's exhaust there will be an unattractive gap between the rack and the bike when mounted on an NC700X.

If you like the bags I might price the cost of a lid to make a matching pair then sell the racks to offset the cost of buying the lid and Givi racks for the NC700X.

Last edited:
Well, if you like the bags, you could always purchase the correct Givi mounts and put the Tiger mounts back up for sale.

Yes, that is one possibility. Thank you. I just need to wait and get them to check them out.

How much would it have cost you to buy brand-new bags and mounting gear that actually fit your bike?

$581.99 Had I bought everything from Motorcycle Luggage, Motorcycle Protection, Handguards & Accessories - TwistedThrottle.com, and that is considering the 36L instead of the 42L (I prefer the 42L).

Those look like SW Mototech universal flat-back racks for Givi bags. You'll need a kit to fit them to the NC700X or cobble up something to work. Someone using the SWMT racks can chime in. Givi stuff works so well it would seem to me to be not a good idea to try and make something work when the "designed for" stuff bolts up so neat and easy.

The thing with E36 bags is that Givi discontinued them last year. If there are any to be found they are remaining stock only. I bought some in March and they were hard to find new in the box. The E36 bags are the same as the 45s except for the lids which are available from Givi as a separate part. The 800 does use a smaller bag on the left side but I seem to recall the exhaust passes between the rack and the bike, not between the rack and bag. Are those racks mirror image of each other? If not and the left one has room for the Triumph's exhaust there will be an unattractive gap between the rack and the bike when mounted on an NC700X.

If you like the bags I might price the cost of a lid to make a matching pair then sell the racks to offset the cost of buying the lid and Givi racks for the NC700X.

Yes, I think that the racks are mirror image of each other. I will be 100% when I get them. I do like the bags, and thanks for the info on the lids, I was not aware of that. It would be and easy fix if I can get them from GIVI at a good price.

I do think that you are correct about the exhaust fitting between the rack and the bike.

Thank you, I guess I will have to wait 'til I get them.

Tony

[*]Givi E36 E45 really aren't that expensive when new... (~165 MSRP each)
[/LIST]

You make good points, thank you.

My logic was that for the price of the bags (although, slightly used) I would be also getting a rack, (I am gambling with the fact that they will fit the NC700x)
Keeping in mind the racks are $284.99 new.

TOny

As previously stated there are two routes to go on this. 1 give up and sell what you bought and buy the mounting kit to match the bike.

2. Try to adapt this mounting hardware to work through either buying a Givi universal mounting kit, or finding one of those innovative people who can build just about anything.

Optionals-Y127.jpg

Givi has universal mounting hardware that would probably help. Maybe a combination of the universal mounting kit and and an innovative person who could weld up what you need from the kit or just pieces of metal rod/pipe.

you can get the kit from
Universal Mounting : Y127 FITTING KIT

Or there is a kit on ebay right now (silver) for $85 plus shipping

Givi Y127 Universal Fitting Kit for N140 N141 E140 E141 Wingrack NOS on eBay!

You make good points, thank you.

My logic was that for the price of the bags (although, slightly used) I would be also getting a rack, (I am gambling with the fact that they will fit the NC700x)
Keeping in mind the racks are $284.99 new.

TOny
I think I paid about $200 direct from Givi for the PL1111 NC700X racks to mount flat back type Givi bags. Their website lists them for $211 today. Pricey but very well made.

I think I paid about $200 direct from Givi for the PL1111 NC700X racks to mount flat back type Givi bags. Their website lists them for $211 today. Pricey but very well made.

If I remember correctly there is a bit of a rub with the side case mounts or the top case moutns.. can't remember which. If you are not mounting both side and top case mounts you need an additional kit for mounting just the sidecase mounts that you later add the top case mount won't need if you ever add the top case mounts.

If you want to sell the Triumph bags, go on the forum TriumphRAT. Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums. You'll be able sell those off quickly.

Thanks for your idea. So I went to the site to try and post the rack and guest what? Well, I need at least 30 days and 25 posts to post something for sell. Also I asked around politely, about the racks but I have not received a response yet. I am not supposed to advertise anything for sale in any other part of the forum.

Therefore, I did the only other good possibility. Posted them on ebay, but so far I am not doing very good. I hope that it gets better on the 1 day 14 hrs left of the auction.

Thanks a bunch though, it was definitely worth a try.

Tony

Hello,

So, just an update on my racks. I did end up selling them on auction for $90.00 dollars. I was expecting way more considering their NEW price is closer to the $300.00 dollars. Still, somebody in NY got a really good deal on the racks.

My plan, I will buy the SW-MOTECH racks as soon as I get the cash, I will keep and mount the GIVI 36L and 42L cases as a reminder and well lets see how they look, for a while.

Thanks

Tony

My plan, I will buy the SW-MOTECH racks as soon as I get the cash, I will keep and mount the GIVI 36L and 42L cases as a reminder and well lets see how they look, for a while.
.... so, despite the schlep of having to re-ebay (rebay?) the racks, you only paid $221 for 2 large and very good panniers. - Money well spent if you ask me.

Last edited:
Back