• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

CalSci Great Service

GregC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wanted to share a great experience with CalSci. I'd bought a medium CalSci for my 2015 DCT after researching about every brand of aftermarket screen, and deciding the CalSci offered the best combo of feature, price, design, etc. Have ridden since last September.

The one thing that was a problem was that my Givi hand guards hit the screen's "wings" at full right or left. Oh well, I lived with it.

The bike, unfortunately, had an "up close and personal" meeting with the asphalt that cracked off the right wing and a little more. So I emailed Steven at CalSci and asked if they had a design for the NC700x that did not have the "wings" (it looked like the new CalSci for the 2016 NC700 was "wingless").

Steven writes back saying no problem in making one for my 2015 without wings. And, they sold it at a very nice discount due to my "bad luck" and I was a returning customer. Unbelievable. I know Schuberth offers a "second chance" discount, but that's the only folks I know that do. Couldn't ask for better service than that.

The new screen arrived last week and I installed it this past weekend. Some pics:

IMG_1338.JPG

Should mention I cleared this post with CalSci before posting so they were cool with the content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calsi has been very good about replacing cracked windscreens as well.. the only problem is some in this forum replaced 3 that cracked at the mounting points and they finally gave up on the screen. It is made from the wrong material to keep from cracking over time it seems.
If you are a high milage rider, you will likely have to replace the screen (calsci may replace it free) at least once and maybe often.

It's too bad... I was ready to buy one of these screens to use for winter riding before I realized the cracking problem was a pretty big issue. These screens have the best wind protection I believe of any windscreen for the NCX because it is so big. (assuming you BUY the biggest one)

I would recommend you get Dale's nut plates to help keep the cracking issue to a minimum.. they do a great job of keeping the stress minimal on any windscreen they are used with.

I know CalSci changed their mounting method when I bought my first last Fall -- from my reading before purchasing, the old mounting system seemed to be the issue. Its a very robust metal mount with well nuts, nylon washers, metal washers, etc. In 6800 miles I've had zero issues (other than the asphalt :)).

My damage was obviously not their fault, but they took care of me anyway. :cool:

Calsi has been very good about replacing cracked windscreens as well..

I don't know about that... Yes, there were some issues with riders clearly over torquing the mounting nuts causing cracks, but that wasn't the whole story. I bought mine knowing that some were having issues, but chalked it up to user error, and was very cautious with mine. That said, in about 4 months it started to develop this crack, no where near the mounting points:

5mo.jpg

That seems pretty obviously a manufacturing defect to me. Either the material is shoddy, or the mold wasn't quite right. When I contacted Cal Sci I was basically told TS and offered a small discount if I wished to purchase a new shield. No thanks... fool me once, etc.

Within another month, this other crack appeared, also no where near the mounting holes:

6mo.jpg

Eventually the bottom crack went clear through the shield:

8928553236_9b1d8690ca_c.jpg

8928557606_fb29d5d3e3_c.jpg

turbodieseli4i6's screen did the same thing:

4314d1368320756-my-calsci-windshield-photo-jpg

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/883-my-calsci-windshield-9.html

I kept running it for a while, trying to drill stop the cracks that were appearing every month, but eventually gave up and moved on.

All of that said, good for Cal Sci. I'm glad they've changed their customer service outlook (or maybe I just got a grump when I tried to deal with them). It is still hands down the best screen I ever have used on the NC, heck, I even thought it looked good. I tried a Madstad and returned it (pre-winglets -- Madstad was very, very helpful and understanding, btw) because it wasn't as comfortable to me as the Cal Sci, I really did like the screen.

So, YMMV, hopefully they have improved their service and quality.

trey

I had read that the "older" mounting method could also torque the screen because it have to bend/curve more due to the nature of the mounting. The current mounting uses metal brackets (tried to show those in the cropped photo below). The screen doesn't get torqued or bent with this mounting. Sorry to hear your experience with them wasn't great ... maybe they have learned over the years the key to getting repeat business.

I did ride with the OEM short windscreen while waiting on the new one to arrive, and man did I get spoiled with the larger screen -- wasn't used to the wind and buffeting without the taller screen (I'm about 6', 32" inseam, and can easily flatfoot the NC700).

bracket.jpg

OCR has allot of experience with the Calsi, maybe he will chime in. I know his biggest gripe is in the material the screens are made from. He eventually switched to a National Cycle after Calsi replaced 2 or 3 windscreens. I think he was happy with the service ... just got tired of having to replace the windscreens all the time. But then OCR rides ALL the time.... I know he has well over 100K on his bike.... so the windscreens may last a much longer time on a bike ridden much less.

I think he just took delivery of one of the new Africa Twins... so he may or may not be on the NCX quite as much these days.

Back